Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Astro has an inspection thread, what to look for before buying but this one is about the major issues with the truck so far. To me it looks it csimo was right about the first batch of units being problematic.

1. Instrument/Sensor Freakout
2. Nannies that don't work too good (that you paid big money for)
3. Pausing when the driver wants acceleration after a turn
4. Tailgate not working properly
5. Windshield not sealed and whistling
6. Navigation head unit going dead require a shut/no shut of the engine
7. AA/CarPlay issues with Nav head unit

Anything else?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody else find it interesting that the majority of those potential issues are found in the extra technology in the higher end editions of the G2? I only have a week in so far in my RTL AWD but it has not disappointed. I actually prefer the base radio setup versus the larger touch screen on my wife's HR-V. I would opt for a larger viewing screen when using the back-up camera though.

Bottom line: most folks get what they want in the way of options and that's fine. But just like when cars started adding features like power windows and door locks, etc. those features which are convenient also come with the potential for more problems. No free lunch!

·
Registered
11 Posts
although your point probably has some merit hicone, don't forget that the majority of the people on here have the higher trim levels so that is all you are hearing about.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Astro has an inspection thread, what to look for before buying but this one is about the major issues with the truck so far.

As far a as I know, there are three or less reports of this and one was caused by an OBD device.

Total BS. They work just as designed and very well as long as you use them as intended do not expect too much from them. Calling them "nannies" is also a gross misrepresentation of the way they work. Big money? In what universe? 20 million is big money, not a few thousand.

Personally, I have never seen anything of consequence despite dozens of attempts to create it. What I have seen is no worse than my G1 and other vehicles.

Not serious, known cause, easy fix, happened on G1 as well.

Cannot comment, have not been able to reproduce.

6. Navigation head unit going dead require a shut/no shut of the engine.

Never happened to me.

One time with me and these could be AA or CarPlay, not the head unit, so might happen with any vehicle of any brand so equipped (and probably does).

To me it looks it csimo was right about the first batch of units being problematic.
Disagree, I do not think this is more than you would see with any new vehicle with complex systems in 2017 and it may well be less. It is also very clear that there are still not all that many 2017 RL out there and most of those that are do not have a lot of miles. In other words, it is a crappy statistical sample which could be skewing incorrectly in either direction - that is the way statistics work. Interesting to have statistics at this point but they do not mean as much as they will in 6 months or a year. I would reserve final judgement until then.

I have my own question: Why are folks who have no significant real experience with this vehicle on this side of the forum commenting, and nearly 100% negative?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Gen 1 had the same hesitation when accelerating after a turn. I believe I had two or three PCM reflashes in an attempt to alleviate the issue, but it never completely cured.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have my own question: Why are folks who have no significant real experience with this vehicle on this side of the forum commenting, and nearly 100% negative?

I agree with CCDAstro and disagree with the premise of this thread. I don't think we are seeing any major issues with the G2. I've got 4,800 miles on mine and couldn't be happier with just about everything. My small problems are a missing screw in a wheel well and some very minor scratches on some chrome behind a window. I've reported some concerns about glare on the touchscreen and fingerprints, but whether that is a reality of a touchscreen or something that can be addressed, I don't know. Big picture: My RTL-E works as advertised and beyond my expectations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,
I have the Black Edition and have 2200 miles and no major problems, going from a 2006 RTS this truck is better in every aspect(except the cockpit). I'm enjoying my new ride!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Bigger issues with new Ridgeline

As far a as I know, there are three or less reports of this and one was caused by an OBD device.

Total BS. They work just as designed and very well as long as you use them as intended do not expect too much from them. Calling them "nannies" is also a gross misrepresentation of the way they work. Big money? In what universe? 20 million is big money, not a few thousand.

Personally, I have never seen anything of consequence despite dozens of attempts to create it. What I have seen is no worse than my G1 and other vehicles.

Not serious, known cause, easy fix, happened on G1 as well.

Cannot comment, have not been able to reproduce.

6. Navigation head unit going dead require a shut/no shut of the engine.

Never happened to me.

One time with me and these could be AA or CarPlay, not the head unit, so might happen with any vehicle of any brand so equipped (and probably does).

Disagree, I do not think this is more than you would see with any new vehicle with complex systems in 2017 and it may well be less. It is also very clear that there are still not all that many 2017 RL out there and most of those that are do not have a lot of miles. In other words, it is a crappy statistical sample which could be skewing incorrectly in either direction - that is the way statistics work. Interesting to have statistics at this point but they do not mean as much as they will in 6 months or a year. I would reserve final judgement until then.

Any constructive criticism or pointing oit faults that owners are experiencing is negative? This thread is for information, and all these issues listed have happened here on the forum by owners, and not just one so they aren't one offs.. Because you bought one all should be dismissed? On the contrary, you jump in and get upset at anyone saying anything critical. These are real issues and I'm sorry some owners are experiencing them as well as Honda, really am. I didn't mention driver door gaps making doors hard to close or other minor issues in the OP that have been posted on the forums, just the repetitive ones. Another thing you should probably think about is most don't post on forums, and nobody, not myself or anyone I've read on here are saying all trucks are affected. And I don't have time to go line by line through your post. None of it bs if it's posted by owners, especially multiple owners having the same issue. I'll put you on ignore since even mentioning these things riles you up so much, feel free to do the same. These are real issues, deal with it. Just because you aren't experiencing some of them that doesn't make them false. Hell you posted that your tailgate stopped working properly before you even left the dealer lot.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody else find it interesting that the majority of those potential issues are found in the extra technology in the higher end editions of the G2? I only have a week in so far in my RTL AWD but it has not disappointed. I actually prefer the base radio setup versus the larger touch screen on my wife's HR-V. I would opt for a larger viewing screen when using the back-up camera though.

Bottom line: most folks get what they want in the way of options and that's fine. But just like when cars started adding features like power windows and door locks, etc. those features which are convenient also come with the potential for more problems. No free lunch!
I'd say you are correct. Most of the reported issues seem to stem around the driver assists (nannies) and navigation unit of the upper trims. Only tailgate and windshield whistling (lack of seal so where on the trim probably) seem to be independent.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Any constructive criticism or pointing oit faults that owners are experiencing is negative? This thread is for information, and all these issues listed have happened here on the forum by owners, and not just one so they aren't one offs.. Because you bought one all should be dismissed? On the contrary, you jump in and get upset at anyone saying anything critical. These are real issues and I'm sorry some owners are experiencing them as well as Honda, really am. I didn't mention driver door gaps making doors hard to close or other minor issues in the OP that have been posted on the forums, just the repetitive ones. Another thing you should probably think about is most don't post on forums, and nobody, not myself or anyone I've read on here are saying all trucks are affected. And I don't have time to go line by line through your post. None of it bs if it's posted by owners, especially multiple owners having the same issue. I'll put you on ignore since even mentioning these things riles you up so much, feel free to do the same. These are real issues, deal with it. Just because you aren't experiencing some of them that doesn't make them false. Hell you posted that your tailgate stopped working properly before you even left the dealer lot.
Get use to it, its there thoughts and opinions nothin but positive, for you its hit the hwy. now a days, if you have an issue, get lost, we dont what you around. Was never like this when Gen 1 came out, we all worked together, know one was left behind, kept an eye on things and offered feed back on problems. Just wait till they have any kind of issue and hit them low. Pay back time can be a bitch, two can play that game.

·
Registered
561 Posts

Any constructive criticism or pointing out faults that owners are experiencing is negative?
I think he is reacting to your statement in the original post that, "To me it looks it csimo was right about the first batch of units being problematic."

How one defines problematic is subjective, but I think the big question will be: Is this vehicle any more or less likely to have problems than others? So far, the things I've experienced and read here lead me to believe that most of the reported issues are very minor. I personally don't expect to buy any car that has 0 problems. Would be nice!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I think he is reacting to your statement in the original post that, "To me it looks it csimo was right about the first batch of units being problematic."

How one defines problematic is subjective, but I think the big question will be: Is this vehicle any more or less likely to have problems than others? So far, the things I've experienced and read here lead me to believe that most of the reported issues are very minor. I personally don't expect to buy any car that has 0 problems. Would be nice!
Well he was right. Some may not like csimo, but he has been accurate about an awful lot. He warned that these first batch of trucks, well he couldn't say everything but his words seemed to indicate assembly line issues among other things. Is it major? Nobody can answer that 100% because most buyers don't post on forums. My only point with the thread is documenting some of the bigger issues multiple members are experiencing. If that is piss in someone's Cheerios then they need to grow up and quit being a child. This entire forum is a place for discussion about this consumer product, not a circle jerk.

And some are acting like northern lights said, you are either with us, or against us. Then others sticking their nose up in the air at us who haven't bought yet. Newsflash: Some of us don't trip over ourselves buying new to market vehicles at the first available opportunity. We wait a bit, see if there are first year problems and/or wait for initial prices to come down. I am never in a hurry to spend 40k, I take my sweet time. Vehicles may be depreciating assets but they are still investments. I think the term used was "trolling". Nah, I'm all growns up and being cautious with MY money I earned. I've driven the FWD, and I'm driving the AWD tomorrow night, and I didn't just join this site this year. Don't like what I have to say, put me on your ignore list and continue to live in your bubble.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Well he was right. Some may not like csimo, but he has been accurate about an awful lot. He warned that these first batch of trucks, well he couldn't say everything but his words seemed to indicate assembly line issues among other things. Is it major? Nobody can answer that 100% because most buyers don't post on forums. My only point with the thread is documenting some of the bigger issues multiple members are experiencing. If that is piss in someone's Cheerios then they need to grow up and quit being a child. This entire forum is a place for discussion about this consumer product, not a circle jerk.

And some are acting like northern lights said, you are either with us, or against us. Then others sticking their nose up in the air at us who haven't bought yet. Newsflash: Some of us don't trip over ourselves buying new to market vehicles at the first available opportunity. We wait a bit, see if there are first year problems and/or wait for initial prices to come down. I am never in a hurry to spend 40k, I take my sweet time. Vehicles may be depreciating assets but they are still investments. I think the term used was "trolling". Nah, I'm all growns up and being cautious with MY money I earned. I've driven the FWD, and I'm driving the AWD tomorrow night, and I didn't just join this site this year. Don't like what I have to say, put me on your ignore list and continue to live in your bubble.
Ironically, it is you who seems to be creating the "us vs them" vibe with your defensive and somewhat childish responses. No one here is coercing you to buy anything, so who are you arguing with?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Ironically, it is you who seems to be creating the "us vs them" vibe with your defensive and somewhat childish responses. No one here is coercing you to buy anything, so who are you arguing with?
Its not an argument just thoughts. No different then all the love for the truck, whats the big deal, who cares. This new RL might be perfect for some and a dud for others.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Nailed it. I get tired of reading the same old posts from non-G2 owners (mostly the same individuals).The thread changes, but the comments remain the same.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
So if I go and buy a new RL tomorrow and still have some bad feelings about it and post about it, where am I in your eyes. After being an original owner for 12 years of a RLS and comparing the two you have a problem with that. Just wonderin cause I have no problem leavin like many others.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So if I go and buy a new RL tomorrow and still have some bad feelings about it and post about it, where am I in your eyes. After being an original owner for 12 years of a RLS and comparing the two you have a problem with that. Just wonderin cause I have no problem leavin like many others.
Look, half the time I can't even understand your posts. However, I respect your opinion. It just gets old seeing the same old comments over and over. You either want a G2 or you don't. We can all "work together" with meaningful posts.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Sorry, I'll try my best at being Politcally Correct. I do get my point across to most and have said Im not into typin. If you question my post "half the time" I'll work on the other half but dont think that will matter because some read between the lines and only comprehend what they want to here or read. By the end some only remember the bad stuff and need to reply. I think you understand quite well, If you have a problem understanding it or dont understand it why take it as a bad post all the time why not ask so we can be on the same page. So I have said good and bad here, what reply are you going to post to.:grin: Happy Trails...........

1 - 20 of 146 Posts