Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E
What does code 5W6X mean. A Honda person told me to be sure whatever tires I change to at least meet this code.

Discount Tire mentioned I should be able to move up to a 255/60R 18 without issues. Does anyone have this on this trim's std rims?

Not many choices on All Terrain tires in 245 Or 255 60R 18.... I see Nitto Terra Grappler AT,, which has some side wall interest and aggress tread.. Anyone else find anything in AT that looks nice an is not too noisy?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
...Not many choices on All Terrain tires in 245 Or 255 60R 18.... I see Nitto Terra Grappler AT,, which has some side wall interest and aggress tread...Anyone else find anything in AT that looks nice an is not too noisy?
The 255/60X18's run about a half-inch taller than stock 245/60X18's and should fit in the G2 wheel well, but you probably won't have enough room to mount tire chains on them if you ever needed to. Just be sure your tire man will stand behind his promise that they'll work without any rubbing.

I've been cruisin' TireRack.com and I know what you mean about limited AT selection in those two sizes. The Hankook Dynapro AT-M is available in P255/60X18 and worked well for me when I had them on my Ranger. However, for off-pavement travel, I prefer the LT (10-ply) version of that tire, which isn't available in size 255/60X18. But if you don't really need the more aggressive tread and would prefer a smoother, quieter ride, the P-series Dynapro AT-M might be worth considering.

I have heard good things about the Terra Grappler ATs. Did you find them in 255/60X18 size? As noted, they're beefy and aggressive, so they'll likely be noisier and stiffer than the G2 RL's OEM Firestones. Good luck and please let us know what you decide and how they work out!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for your experience with the Hankook.
No worries to add chains... I'll be heading to AZ with worries of snow and de- icing chemical rusting my ride, will be behind me!

Yes Discount Tire lists the Terra Grappler AT in the 255

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I see that now. I did a little comparison of these 18" tires:

OEM FS Destination 245/60 - 29.6" diam; 9.8" width; 105H (130 mph rated); no rubbing.

HK Dynapro AT-M 255/60 - 30.0" diam; 10.2" width; 107T (118 mph rated); probably won't rub.

NT Terra Grapplers 255/60 - 30.0" diam; 10.3" width; 112S (112 mph rated); probably won't rub.

Firestone Destination A/T 265/60s (on show trucks) - 30.5" diam; 10.7" width; 109TSL (118 mph rated); slight rubbing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can tell you that I have a 1st gen (2008) that I installed these 18's from the Pilot.

ALY64089 Honda Pilot Wheel Chrome #08W18TG7100

I also have the Continental LX20's mounted. 265-65-18. Zero issues with rubbing. Truck handles much better. Something that I don't think has been mentioned is how much better the truck shifts with the different gear ratio via the tires.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can tell you that I have a 1st gen (2008) that I installed these 18's from the Pilot.

ALY64089 Honda Pilot Wheel Chrome #08W18TG7100

I also have the Continental LX20's mounted. 265-65-18. Zero issues with rubbing. Truck handles much better. Something that I don't think has been mentioned is how much better the truck shifts with the different gear ratio via the tires.
Isn't that the same wheel that is listed as the "chrome look" wheel for the Ridgeline? If I buy G2, those wheels will likely be on mine.

We would love to see pix of your truck with those wheels & tires mounted. :smile:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also have the Continental LX20's mounted. 265-65-18. Zero issues with rubbing.
Given that those Conti's have nearly an inch taller sidewall (1/2 the 1.9 inch total diameter increase), I think the reason they don't rub is due to a combination of tread width, tire shape and wheel offset.

I've been documenting details related to how and why bigger tire/wheel combos rub, which I will share in another post.

I experience rubbing at a seam/wheel well liner bump at the lower-rear of the front wheel well (not too different from where rubbing commonly occurred on the Gen1 Ridgeline). In this case the outer rear corner of the tire rubs at full lock. It's not the side of the tire, it's the actual OD, which swings across and into the wheel well bump.

Here are the OEM and Conti tire specs for comparison:

Firestone Destination LE2 245/60R18 105H SL
(data from tirerack, unless noted)
UTQG: 520 A A (data indicated on tire)
Max Load: 2,039 lbs.
Max Inflation Pressure: 44 psi
Tread Depth: 11/32”
Tire Weight: 31 lbs.
Rim Width Range: 7-8.5”
Meas. Rim Width: 7”
Sect. Width: 9.8”
Tread Width: 7.9”
Overall Diameter: 29.6”
Revs. Per Mile: 704
Country of origin: US

Continental Crosscontact LX20 265/65R18 114S SL
(data from manufacturer and tirerack)
UTQG: 740 A B
Max Load: 2,601 lbs.
Max Inflation Pressure: 44 psi
Tread Depth: 12/32”
Tire Weight: 31 lbs.
Rim Width Range: 7.5-9.5”
Meas. Rim Width: 8”
Sect. Width: 10.7”
Tread Width: 8.1”
Overall Diameter: 31.5”
Revs. Per Mile: 659
Country of origin: US

So even while the Conti is quite a bit taller, the tread width is only 2/10th's of an inch wider, the edge of the tire is rounded, and, more importantly, the chrome-look wheel offset is still 55mm. That greater offset translates to pulling the tire/wheel inward, towards the hub and away from the inner wheel well at full lock (towards the hub, moving ~45º diagonally from the back wall of the lower wheel well), effectively pulling it away from the area where I note rubbing to occur.

Thus, my informed outlook is that if you choose to install bigger tires (translated as either or both taller and more massive), there are a few primary factors to consider in your overall compromise:

Wheel Offset
Tread Width
Tire Edge Shape

You may be able to push the odds on one or two of those elements, but if you push all of them AND go larger in diameter and/or increased mass, you are probably gonna RUB.

And, obviously, if you are close to rubbing and you install tire chains, you will likely tear the crap out of the plastic inner wheel wheel liner.

That's where you may want to be careful when relying on a "tire guy's" guarantee. Not rubbing and full OEM operational expectations are differing requirements. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde + I saw them on new Volvo XC90s and felt good on test drive. Dealer installed so they will warranty. We bought our 2016 Pilot with 22s as well from same dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde +....
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus 255/50 R20109H XL
(data from tirerack)
UTQG: 740 A A
Max Load: 2,271 lbs.
Max Inflation Pressure: 50 psi
Tread Depth: 10/32”
Tire Weight: 35 lbs.
Rim Width Range: 7-9”
Meas. Rim Width: 8”
Sect. Width: 10.4”
Tread Width: 8.7”
Overall Diameter: 30.1”
Revs. Per Mile: ?
Country of origin: MX

Any idea what the wheel offset is?

That's a highly rated tire, btw:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Isn't that the same wheel that is listed as the "chrome look" wheel for the Ridgeline? If I buy G2, those wheels will likely be on mine.

We would love to see pix of your truck with those wheels & tires mounted. :smile:
This is a very nice wheel ! If you get those, don't let the dealer scam you and take your stock wheels (you will see the dealer sell them on ebay). In fact, just buy the accessory wheels from college hills honda after the fact, your stock wheels are worth a lot if not servicing as a winter wheel.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks good! I'm glad you like the ride, even with 20's. It gives me hope that there's some wiggle room for a better look without sacrificing ride. HOpefully those Pirelli's last, IME Pirelli's are some of the best performing tires you can buy, when new, but they wear a little quicker than I like. Those seem well liked though, hopefully they've improved.

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is a very nice wheel ! If you get those, don't let the dealer scam you and take your stock wheels (you will see the dealer sell them on ebay). In fact, just buy the accessory wheels from college hills honda after the fact, your stock wheels are worth a lot if not servicing as a winter wheel.
Absolutely!

I would mount a set of slightly taller than stock Blizzaks on the orig. wheels.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
They are the 109H M+S He said they were a good all season tire. Not much snow here in Phoenix area but we do go up Flagstaff where it snows in the winter. Been very happy so far. Not sure of the offset but the tire company dealer uses is very good with what sizes fit with no issues. The wheels are Versante alloys which he said are a good well balanced wheel. He said some cheaper wheels are not very well made. He does wheels for the local Acura and Honda dealers. Happy with the 20's as they give a little better ride than the 22's would.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They are the 109H M+S... ...The wheels are Versante alloys...
Thanks you for the follow-up, CJMDWYER.

So the specs listed for that wheel...

Model: Versante VE-504
Manufacturer's P/N: 504285547+35DFB
Diameter: 20 inches
Width: 8.5 inches
Bolt Pattern: 5x120mm
Offset: +35mm
Backspacing: 6.25"
Hub Bore: 72.56mm

They're available at most discount wheels shops on the net and eBay for about $200 per wheel.

It would be interesting to know if there are markings on the back of the wheel indicating ratings, specifically load rating, which is often stated in kilograms.

Given that the hub bore on the Versante is larger than the Ridgeline's 64mm hub, I have to wonder that the dealer's tire guy installed hub rings, which is pretty standard for aftermarket wheels that are intended for use on a wide variety of vehicles with different hub sizes. I have them to adapt my Black Rhino (TSW) wheels, which similarly have larger hub bores.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I respect that this thread is about bigger tires, but in many cases most folks are putting their bigger tires on bigger wheels, so there are a number of little things to consider with regard to function. While some of us are do-it-yourselfers and some rely on the integrity of resellers to guide us and sell us the right stuff, here is a starter, in no particular order:

weight
offset
load rating
center bore
width

To their detriment, most manufacturers and resellers do not state load rating and wheel weight. I weigh my wheels, and tires, and wheel/tire assemblies, because I want to know how those factors may impact my vehicles (some of which I drive very fast). Load rating is another useful tool, as it implies strength-to-weight ratio, yet can certainly suggest some other things, depending on wheel construction.

(Note to mods: would it be reasonable to create a sticky thread with a title of something like "Bigger Tires and/or Wheels". There is another Second Generation 2017+ thread discussing wheels. The subjects tend to overlap.)

41 - 60 of 99 Posts