Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to modding trucks and was wondering what would be the biggest tires I can put on a 2017 RTL stock rims of 18" and would be lifted 2.5" front and 1.5" rear, (So far traxda has the highest available lift), Without any rubbing. I tried to just reasearch it but it sounds really complicated and I can't really get a straight answer. I want my truck to look more aggressive. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There's a ton of threads with this info if you search.

Many people have said anything more than 1.5" lift in front is hard on the vehicle.

On stock 18" rims, people have gone 265/60/18 although certain more aggressive tires will rub, others do not.. it's EXTREMELY tight at full lock.

If you want the most aggressive look without rub: Get 17" 35mm offset rims and go 245/70/17. I wouldnt go more than 1.5" lift in front, but that's just me i like to be safe and want my equipment to last.

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
There's a ton of threads with this info if you search.

Many people have said anything more than 1.5" lift in front is hard on the vehicle.

On stock 18" rims, people have gone 265/60/18 although certain more aggressive tires will rub, others do not.. it's EXTREMELY tight at full lock.

If you want the most aggressive look without rub: Get 17" 35mm offset rims and go 245/70/17. I wouldnt go more than 1.5" lift in front, but that's just me i like to be safe and want my equipment to last.
Nothing a sawzall won't cure!!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I'm very new to modding trucks and was wondering what would be the biggest tires I can put on a 2017 RTL stock rims of 18" and would be lifted 2.5" front and 1.5" rear...
So I should try to be more helpful here. As Mr. Black points out in another thread, the problem with bigger tires is the limited clearance at the front, back and inner walls of the wheel wells, especially for the front wheels. That tight fit is also due, at least in part, to the large offset (55mm) of the stock wheels, which were likely designed to tuck the tires into the wheel wells as much as possible for less drag and better fuel efficiency.

Consequently, lifting the vehicle really doesn't solve any of those clearance problems, and in fact, the geometry of struts and control arms results in the wheels being pulled inward slightly as the front suspension is lifted. The bottom line is that you are likely to have rubbing issues with stock rims if you increase tire diameter any more than 1" over stock size (245/60R18=29.6" diam.), or if you increase tire width any more than the 265/60R18 size. And, as plex notes, some brands and types of 265/60's will rub and some won't because of small manufacturer differences in width, diameter and tread design.

Even if you decide to swap your stock rims for 17" or 18" wheels with less offset for more tire choices, I think you will still run into problems with tire diameters greater than 30.5". Now maybe some RL owners can chime in with their actual experiences with alternate wheels and bigger tires.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The difference between Traxada and Truxxx is you can still fit the same size tire. 30.5 inches.

It would take a lift in the 4-6 inch range to fit big tires on there and to be honest with ourselves, THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN on a front wheel drive based platform.

If you want true big truck lifted looks than you are going to have to go to a Taco or some other variant of truck.

IMO what ever sized tires you see guys running with the Truxxx lift well it's going to be just the same with the Traxada kit even with slightly higher advertised lift numbers.

Reactions: plex
1 - 6 of 6 Posts