Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone researched the options for in-bed bike racks and when more might be available? Searched a couple of threads so far on the forum and googled it a bit to no avail and would appreciate any recommendations...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took some scrap 1x3 wood and bolted on fork locks. I then used some u-bolts with wing nuts to clamp it on my cargo bar and added some outriggers on each side to keep it from spinning fore and aft. Didn't take more than 30 minutes or so to build. Doesn't look great but it works fine. If you're interested maybe I could get a pic later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I took some scrap 1x3 wood and bolted on fork locks. I then used some u-bolts with wing nuts to clamp it on my cargo bar and added some outriggers on each side to keep it from spinning fore and aft. Didn't take more than 30 minutes or so to build. Doesn't look great but it works fine. If you're interested maybe I could get a pic later.
Post it here. I'm interested in your setup. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
This picture shows a bike rack from Thule that would work. Unfortunately, Thule charges an arm and a leg for their products. They want $250 for this. The good news is, Thule doesn't have a corner on this design. The thing that varies is how it attaches to the truck, so you need to keep a close eye on that. I'm looking for one too. I have Thule's Insta-Gator, which is a truly smart design because it's not permanently installed and yet very safe. Plus you don't have to take your front wheel off. But that's the problem our bed isn't long enough for it. I did manage to set up the Insta-Gator the other day by breaking a few rules but it wasn't convenient at all, and I don't recommend that product for the Ridgeline. But this design, as pictured, is probably available from a number of rack makers. I'm sure we can find it for less than $250.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
The bike rack in the pictures below, from a little-known company called Pipeline Racks, looks promising. It will fit the Ridgeline without taking the front wheel off your bike assuming that you leave the tailgate open. User reviews say this is very convenient to use. The rack is attached to the bed of your Ridgeline with straps and clips. Here are some installation options. The rack requires that your bed have tie downs. Well, check. We have lots of them. It's possible that the bike rack is actually taller than the Ridgeline bed, by the way, for those of you who might be hoping to tuck it under a tonneau.

For the Ridgeline the Pipeline Rack comes in two sizes: a two-bike rack for $240 (with free shipping) and a three-bike rack for $270 (with free shipping). But wait, I'm wrong about that. The Ridgeline's bed is actually wide enough to fit at least some of the full-size truck racks. And since we don't have wheel wells, to speak of, these racks should fit nicely too. (I emailed the company to find out which size rack they feel is best for the dimensions of the G2 Ridgeline bed.)

The company also sells the same products on Amazon. The pricing looks different at first but on Amazon they are charging $30 to ship the product. The Amazon price and the Pipeline Racks price are the same on the bottom line. These are clearly a little pricey. But I think I'm going to get one for two bikes.

To save a little money, a company called Swagman has an outward-pressure design bike rack for two requiring you to remove the front wheel for just under $100. There are probably others; this one looks like a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Bicy...1473381968&sr=8-4&keywords=bike+racks+swagman

These pictures are of the Pipeline Racks products:

Attachments

Reactions: tjames007

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
I'm not sure about bolting into plastic. But one thing I am sure is that that Delta product that you used is really a cool product. I spent some time looking at it online this evening. It's probably best of class.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
I'm not sure about bolting into plastic ...
Sorry. I see as I read further into your project that you did bolt into steel. Thumbs up!

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
Wow. What a great idea. Since I have the Insta-Gator, I'm very interested in this. It looks like he used a 4 foot or so section of right angle bar and attached it in some way to the rear tiedowns. Do you have the URL for the thread this was posted in? Did he give directions?

One thing I would caution against with this design is that you need to lock down the back wheels somehow. If you stop short, the bikes could swing up, possibly damaging the roof garnish or other things. But that's easy enough to rectify. Also, I don't want to overstate the likelihood of this happening. The clamping action may preevent it somewhat too.

Thanks for posting this, tjames007. Anything more you can give us would be a real help.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am looking for bike rack for the bed too!! I like Pipleline Racks with no front wheel removal and no drilling at all. Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Wondering if I should just DIY with some 2x4 or go buy one. The fact is, I have a hitch type bike rack from my old car although I have upgrade the drawbar to work for the Ridgeline. But then, it seems like it is a waste of the bed if I hitch the bikes while the bed is empty, will it look odd? LOL LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used a homemade solution. Cut a piece of wood (2 X 6) to the exact length to fit between the two forward bed floor cargo tie down points. Use lag bolts with flat washers big enough to keep them from going through the cargo tie down holes. Pre-drill the wood so the lag bolts don't split when you screw them down. I had to drill the holes so that the 2 X 6 was as far toward the rear of the truck as possible to give me enough clearance for the brake levers (road bikes). You can finish the wood to look nice or leave it natural finish. Then just mount cheap fork mounts evenly spaced on the board. I tested mine on my bikes first to make sure the brake levers did not contact the truck. They ended up being mounted close to the rear of the board. I carry the front wheels in the truck or trunk if I want to prevent theft. The bolt down fork mounts can be had with provision for padlocks on the skewer levers. Cheap, simple and not bad looking solution.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
Here is a video of the Pipeline Rack system as well

Photos and Vidoes of Truck Bike Rack, Pickup Truck Bike Racks by Pipeline Racks

phineas looks like they have some sort of rear wheel bracket. honestly it looks like a pretty good solution, but pretty expensive $240
Agreed on both counts. I think the rear wheel bracket is just to hold the bike up straight. I like that feature although I hope it's removable. Watching that burnout video, I couldn't get it to run before, I'm not sure I would trust the bike rack without an additional attachment of the bike to the rack. Just placing it in its holder and leaving the tailgate down seems like asking for Murphy's Law to strike. What happens if you go over a big bump? But their $3.99 Velcro solution is fine. If we could close the tailgate I'd probably be OK with that too. Or a bed extender.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am looking for a multi-purpose solution to Bikes, ham radio antenna mount and a myriad of other problems. I have installed a 1.5"x60" 80/20 bar between the forward tie downs. Using the available stainless 5/16" sliding bar end-feed fasteners and 316 stainless (I sail and 316 is my favorite grade of stainless) 1.5" fender washers I attached the 80/20 bar to the tie downs as shown in the pics. The bike attachments bolt on using some more of the end-feed fasteners and my 'L' shaped bracket for my antenna mounts the same way. Bikes mount to the back of the bar and the antenna mount will be on the front, protecting it from bed induced damage. Many other things can be mounted on the bar and it does not require drilling.

I have used this system on another truck and it worked well.

Source of 'stuff' is McMaster-Carr
80/20 1.5" bar, 60" long: Aluminum T-Slotted Framing Extrusion, Single Profile, 1-1/2" Size, Hollow #47065T102 5'
Stainless Steel End-Feed Fastener for 1-1/2" Single/3" Quad Aluminum T-Slotted Framing Extrusion #47065T97

Hope this helps others.

Pic attached but not sure how this will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is something another ROC member posted. It's the Thule Instagater installed in the front of the truck instead of under the tailgate. It's pretty slick and no need to take off the front tire
I bought an Insta-gater after seeing this on the forum, and it works great. I mountain bike 5 days a week and this is way better than a tailgate pad.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
I bought an Insta-gater after seeing this on the forum, and it works great. I mountain bike 5 days a week and this is way better than a tailgate pad.
If I were going to custom build a solution for the G2, I would definitely use the Thule Insta-Gater 501 as the basis for it. I've been using the Thule Insta-Gater for over five years and have found it to be both reliable and easy to use. There is a catch, the Insta-Gater costs between $170 and $180. But in this case it's a completely unique design that no other manufacturer has. It even has an optional built-in lock but is only useful if your tailgate locks. In this case with the wheels to the front of the truck you would want to build a lock to your attachment point, if possible. Despite the lock, I have always used a cable lock interwoven through both wheels and the frame.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts