Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm going on Friday...
I can't believe that on a truck that will start selling this spring that they don't allow you to get inside... I think Honda is missing the boat here.
I will be checking out the Colorado and other mid-sized trucks.. but will not be able to compare them to the Honda.:frown:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll pay someone (anyone!) if they can sneak a measurement of the height of the bed area!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm going on Friday...
I can't believe that on a truck that will start selling this spring that they don't allow you to get inside... I think Honda is missing the boat here.
I will be checking out the Colorado and other mid-sized trucks.. but will not be able to compare them to the Honda.:frown:
It was not at Washington, DC Auto Show I went to it today. I knew it was not going to be there. Cadillac had a new 2017 crossover XT5 vehicle at the show. Show display woman said it would be out this summer it was on turntable going around. Did sit in Pilot with armrest.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks really sharp. Can't sit in it unfortunately. I'll post photos later.
So that's where they sent it. I went to the Houston Auto Show today and thought there was a remote chance it might be there. Nope. I had this conversation with one of the Honda personnel:

Me: Why didn't you bring the new Ridgeline to show?
Her: It's not out yet.
Me: They showed it on a platform in Detroit three weeks ago so you could have brought it here to show.
Her: It has to go to Chicago first.
Me: Is that this weekend?
Her: No, I think it's next weekend.
Me: Then you should have brought it here!
Her: Sorry.
Me: Do you have a release date for it?
Her: April or May. I've been telling people May just in case.

Knowing the Gen2 will have the Pilot's interior, my son and I spent a good 10 minutes in a Pilot Elite. We went at opening and went to the Honda area first so I could do that before it got crowded.

Impressions:
The drivers seat is comfortable. The hated arm rest fits me (6 ft/205) but looks and feels cheap.

I'd much prefer an analog speedo.

The touchscreen is very shiny and is responsive, but we were sitting still. The only other way to do audio adjustments is by steering wheel buttons.

Overall the steering wheel is nice and the telecoping comes out far enough for me, but I wear a 34 inch sleeve. In seeing all the steering wheel buttons I told my son "where's Tab and Enter?" It's almost a QWERTY keyboard.

The climate temp adjustments are by two toggle switches that reminded of 1960s power window switches, if you remember what those looked like.

The center console storage is about the same size as what we have now, but I don't think it's as deep. I don't know where this "purse holder" crap came from. You could just as easily call what's in Gen1 a purse holder. The sliding top looks like it's deeply ribbed that would hard to clean, but the ribs are almost smooth so cleaning shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't spend any time in the back seat or cargo area since the RL will be different. It was only after we left that I remembered that meant I didn't look at the console mounted a/c vents or controls, if any.

I also spent a couple of minutes in a Pilot EX-L. The console looks way better with a shift level than with the Elite's odd looking transmission buttons. Someone had already been in the EX-L. Their fingerprints were all over the shiny screen. I'm sure mine were all over the Elite.

Overall it's an interior I could live with. One thing I really liked was the Steel Sapphire exterior. It's not a light MawMaw blue but a good blue/gray. Very nice. It came with a light gray interior (leather). I'd prefer darker. Maybe the cheap looking armrest would look better in a darker color.>:)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,384 Posts
It's a "City" truck, Philly vs Houston, Philly makes sense, more older city vs new city in Tx truck country.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's a "City" truck, Philly vs Houston, Philly makes sense, more older city vs new city in Tx truck country.
You're right. That's why I thought it was just a remote possibility that it would be here. There was plenty for the good old boys to salivate over. All the 5/4 scale trucks were on display. Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Ram, and one 6/4 scale one, the new Titan. That thing is flipping HUGE.

I sat in all of them except the Nissan. If there were no Gen 2 RL it would be one of the GM twins for me. The Ram by far had the nicest interior, but it's just waaaaaaaay too big for what I want.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back. My initial impressions.... I want one! :smile:

The rims on the black edition look like they are powder coated. There's a slight nightshade tint over the projector headlights. The interior looks identical to the pilots, kind of hard to see in the photos but there's alot of gloss black trim pieces in the cab. Finger smudge wipe downs will be a common thing.

I talked to a Honda rep, alot of the spec questions I had were met with "like the Pilot". I was told towing capacity will be between 5 - 6K, so those who were hoping for class leading towing.... ain't gonna happen. MPG should be around 25 highway. I'm taking the Pilot value and deducting an MPG or two, cause truck shape.

The Ridgeline they have is locked up and roped (piped actually) off. I didn't bother to ask why but I assume it's cause they only have a small handful of these preproduction models floating around. Honda really dropped the ball on that one. Some of the knuckle dragging cretins who got to these car shows like to rip out trim pieces and dash knobs. Where Honda could easily truck in a different Civic or Pilot to the floor, I don't think they have the Ridgelines to go around so they want to preserve them.

So if you go to the Philly show, ogle the Black Edition and plop your butt in one of the Pilots they have on the floor. Should give you a good indication of what to expect in the new Ridge.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have to admit that I like the side profile. I always thought that was the worst angle on Gen 1.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
I really like the looks of the Black Edition except for the all black wheels. I think it would look even better with the Gen 1 Sport model wheels, which I like better than any stock R/L wheel offering.

As an aside, I wish the photo at the top of the new Forum layout featured the same color for both Generation Ridgelines, i.e. two black ones or two silver ones. It would be easier to see and evaluate the styling differences.......(and relationships).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't understand the allure of the blacked out wheels! Looks like it has a cheep set of steel wheels on it!

Reactions: Hillbilly Ridge

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't understand the allure of the blacked out wheels! Looks like it has a cheep set of steel wheels on it!
Agree. I think a lot of people see it as military and macho. My son has them on his Jeep. He said the other alternative was shiny chrome wheels that were too much bling for his taste.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,384 Posts
Some call it the "Murdered Look", the kids these days like the blacked out everything if you search you'll find a few murdered Ridgelines on this forum, not for me. Especially there was one in Arizona, too damn hot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think the critics will chastise the Black Edition for not being macho enough.
That's like calling low hanging pants macho...

I'm sorry, I like the look of the "Black Edition" with the exception of those wheels... If I were to buy one I'd have to find someone to swap wheels with! No aftermarket wheels either, just a set of something else from Honda!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Not even gonna lie. I want one. Probably be 3 years down the road, but I like it. I'm not a fan of the blacked out version necessarily, but the truck overall.

I had a black RTS. Will be the last black vehicle I ever own unless I"m so wealthy I have someone to detail it regularly.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Given the extraordinarily half-assed effort Honda put into this new Ridgeline, its not so surprising that their incompetence is so great that they have a truck that is meant to go on sale shortly roped off. What an unbelievably idiotic company. Honda really has become a pathetic joke.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts