Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member + fist post

I didn't like the chrome emblems on my black edition so - 1hr + 1can of plasti-dip = much better!

Save some $ and order OEM accessories online and install yourself. It was super simple and only 1/3 the price or dealer install options. I ordered my parts from Bernardi's... Their overall price plus shipping was cheapest I found. One place in CA had same prices and better shipping but didn't stock running boards.

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
looks good.... question.... the chrome piece on the nose that is just above the headlight, is that smoked, or like a black chrome? did you do anything to that or is that standard on the black edition? I wanted to buy this piece and replace mine but couldn't find it as an accessory. I did find the sport grille and when i bought it and installed it,the chrome piece was just like the regular ridgeline, all chrome despite all the honda photos showing it was black chrome like the black edition. i was PISSED, hence why i decided to plasti dip it. also,the little chrome strips on your rear bumper, did you smoke those, or are they black chrome, or regular chrome? sometimes the lighting or skew makes it look a different color.

Every time i see a black edition or sport, i get pissed that i couldnt order exactly what i wanted, or locate the accessories. i.e. black door trim instead of chrome, black chrome grille, black badges, etc.

Reactions: Haymoose

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is black chrome on the grille and bumper trim. I think I may put a bit of tint over the front emblem. I put clog tint over the reverse lights too. Not too dark but it looks a ton better.

I didn't pull the emblems off. Just masked around them and pulled the plastidip off after several coats.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I wanted to buy this piece and replace mine but couldn't find it as an accessory.
You won't find it as an accessory, but if you look up the part number Part# 71151-T6Z-A10, you will find that Honda has erased any ideas that I had about replacing that with the affordable cost of $434.75 :surprise:

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone know of a part number for the black H emblem on the tailgate of the Sport or BE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
Does anyone know of a part number for the black H emblem on the tailgate of the Sport or BE

Those are chrome from factory. You would need to dip it or have it painted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks! I think I'll order a new one and then dip it. I'm afraid if I take the existing one off to dip I won't be able to stick it back on

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is black chrome on the grille and bumper trim. I think I may put a bit of tint over the front emblem. I put clog tint over the reverse lights too. Not too dark but it looks a ton better.

I didn't pull the emblems off. Just masked around them and pulled the plastidip off after several coats.
How did you get the plastidip to stay on the emblems but peel off the paint?
Did you have to take an Exacto-blade and carefully cut around each letter and emblem and then peel the unwanted plastidip off the paint?
I'm a newbie to playing around with plastidip. But I'd like to black out the emblems on the tailgate without resorting to removing them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can use a toothpick. More often than not depending on how many coats you do the plastidip will peel off the paint but stay on the emblems. You would normally use a tooth pick in hard to reach areas ie: the "e" in Ridgeline.

·
Registered
606 Posts
How did you get the plastidip to stay on the emblems but peel off the paint?
Did you have to take an Exacto-blade and carefully cut around each letter and emblem and then peel the unwanted plastidip off the paint?
I'm a newbie to playing around with plastidip. But I'd like to black out the emblems on the tailgate without resorting to removing them.

Thanks.
Check out this video.

https://youtu.be/u8Gfd46AxLw

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can use a toothpick. More often than not depending on how many coats you do the plastidip will peel off the paint but stay on the emblems. You would normally use a tooth pick in hard to reach areas ie: the "e" in Ridgeline.
Awesome!
Thank you for the info.
I might try to play around with that this weekend.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I like plasti dip but what about car washes? I use the automated tunnel car wash, will the dip hold up?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks! I think I'll order a new one and then dip it. I'm afraid if I take the existing one off to dip I won't be able to stick it back on
You don't need to order a new one OR take the existing one off... You just mask around the emblem and them spray about 6 coats of plastidip over the emblem, waiting about 15 min between each coat. You can get plastidip on your paint, it comes right off. After the final coat you pull up the masking around the emblem and most of the surrounding dip (if not all) will peel off perfectly around the emblem. Then use a toothpick to get the parts inside the H. Watch a couple YouTube videos to get a feel for it. It is super easy. Just mask, spray, peel. Done.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like plasti dip but what about car washes? I use the automated tunnel car wash, will the dip hold up?
It will be fine, but you may need to do a fresh coat or two every 12 months or so if you use an auto car wash often. Also don't run it through the wash for the first 2-3 weeks after dipping.

But I wouldn't use an auto car wash on any vehicle color other than white. The swirls and lines would drive me insane. My wife runs her black car through the auto wash all the time when she is out running errands and I can only shake my head and try to ignore it when she gets home... my eyes always go straight to the swirls.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You don't need to order a new one OR take the existing one off... You just mask around the emblem and them spray about 6 coats of plastidip over the emblem, waiting about 15 min between each coat. You can get plastidip on your paint, it comes right off. After the final coat you pull up the masking around the emblem and most of the surrounding dip (if not all) will peel off perfectly around the emblem. Then use a toothpick to get the parts inside the H. Watch a couple YouTube videos to get a feel for it. It is super easy. Just mask, spray, peel. Done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
just had my wheels plastidipped, thinking of doing some more of the 'chrome' as well

Attachments

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I can see why Honda made a Black Edition. For the last year many trucks Ford, Chev, Dodge, GMs are around here. Black must be the new silver. Carry on...........

1 - 20 of 42 Posts