Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting for an -E to arrive at my dealership this week in Modern Steel Metalli with Black interior. Another dealer has a gray interior coming with MSM. We've had record snow and ice this year, but summers are often hot.

Is the black interior that much hotter than gray, when combined with Modern Steel Metallic exterior? I think Black leather looks beautiful, and may not show dirt as much as gray, but if the gray holds up well, doesn't stain easily and is cooler, I think I'd prefer it over the black interior.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
In the end it's a personal preference call. I don't believe the black will be that much hotter. Gray may show a bit more dirt but properly taken care of they should wear the same. I'd go with whichever one you think looks better Good luck!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but I don't think any color shows more dirt than black. I can wash my BE here in Southeast Louisiana and a half-hour later you can see dust and pollen on it. Lighter colors are cooler and hide dust much better. If a different color and an RTL-E had been available, I would have bought one. As it was, the only "upper-trim" RLs my dealerships in the area had were Black Editions, and there was no RTL-E in sight.

·
Super Moderator
5,332 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but I don't think any color shows more dirt than black. I can wash my BE here in Southeast Louisiana and a half-hour later you can see dust and pollen on it. Lighter colors are cooler and hide dust much better. If a different color and an RTL-E had been available, I would have bought one. As it was, the only "upper-trim" RLs my dealerships in the area had were Black Editions, and there was no RTL-E in sight.
I totally understand your point. The dust and pollen is easily visible, but at least that can be wiped off. When the gray or beige leather fades or marks are left on the leather from just plain living, they are not so easily removed. Guess it might depend how much you use your vehicle. If you put 12,000+ miles a year on it then I would go with black. Interior temperature was never a sticking point for me, I live in Colorado.

The OP might want to check out a "used" RL G1 to see how the color of the leather seats have changed from "new". I know on my 2008, the beige interior was looking a little worn and turning a little darker.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I totally understand your point. The dust and pollen is easily visible, but at least that can be wiped off. When the gray or beige leather fades or marks are left on the leather from just plain living, they are not so easily removed. Guess it might depend how much you use your vehicle. If you put 12,000+ miles a year on it then I would go with black. Interior temperature was never a sticking point for me, I live in Colorado.

The OP might want to check out a "used" RL G1 to see how the color of the leather seats have changed from "new". I know on my 2008, the beige interior was looking a little worn and turning a little darker.
I just moved back to LA from Evergreen, CO. I miss the mountains.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm waiting for an -E to arrive at my dealership this week in Modern Steel Metalli with Black interior. Another dealer has a gray interior coming with MSM. We've had record snow and ice this year, but summers are often hot.

Is the black interior that much hotter than gray, when combined with Modern Steel Metallic exterior? I think Black leather looks beautiful, and may not show dirt as much as gray, but if the gray holds up well, doesn't stain easily and is cooler, I think I'd prefer it over the black interior.

Thoughts?
I'll leave the others comments on showing dirt/stains as they stand...
Re: Heat, I've checked and experienced that - here in central Florida it makes a big difference. The seats on a BE RL were noticeably hotter than the grey on my Forest Mist RTL-E. If I had the Canadian seat ventilation, it might not be a bit deal... but I prefer the grey in the Florida heat.

Edit: Re: FTM1's comments below... I have OEM tinting as WELL as aftermarket tinting on the driver/passenger front sides. I do not use a UV heat shield. I still stand by my comments regarding the temp of the black seats vs the grey in the two RL's I experienced here in the southern latitudes.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I would not much worry about the heat issue black vs grey int.
Ridgeline has tinted glass I am sure you plan on getting at least the driver passenger window tinted some % for heat rejection. Use of a sun shade like Covercraft UV heat shield in front windshield when parked will reduce interior temps. RTL-E model has remote start so you can take advantage of that feature with climate control to help cool interior before you enter vehicle in summer heat.
Now when it comes to dirt grime stains on the seats interior all depends on how much you plan on keeping it clean. How many people are going to be in truck in normal daily use. So example do you have kids plan to have or have any riding your truck. Your wife partner or other half or anybody else that will ride in your truck on a normal basis. Do you eat regularly in your vehicle drink coffee stop at fast food place 3 times a week eat in truck. I ask all this because if your not a clean freak might be better to go with gray. It just depends on what kind of dirt or stain you get on seats and interior.
So something like black ink from a pen marking a spot on the black seat would not show as bad on the black vs gray. I prefer the black interior myself
and have it in my 2000 Acura TL. When getting the 07 Ridgeline for sister Dark Cherry beige int. I got the Wet Okole seat covers for her on the front seats. She is not as good as keeping a vehicle clean as I am.
But whatever you choose treat seats with 303 UV protectant contains stain repellant from start. Treat carpet area with stain repel carpet cleaner or interior cloth cleaner for carpets from start.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We poor Canadians don't get a choice of interior colour. We have only five trim lines to choose from instead of seven and once we pick our trim and colour, the interior colour choice and material is dictated. Got your heart set on a tan interior? Your only option to get that is in the deep scarlet pearl Touring. Not available with any other colour or trim.

You think that's bad, then they force all this stuff on us they wouldn't dare push on the US market; things like heated rear seats, cooled front seats, rain sensing wipers, even a CD player. To top all that, the [email protected]@rds sell them to us for less that the comparable model in the US!!

Of course I jest, and gloat. I've never had an issue with hot seats in my G1 grey leather and expect the same with my G2 black. I've had cloth seats feel hotter. Honda has done a good job protecting the interior from the effects of the sun. I did get in the habit of sliding the moon roof door closed when parking in the hot sun for an extended period.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've never had an issue with hot seats in my G1 grey leather and expect the same with my G2 black. I've had cloth seats feel hotter. Honda has done a good job protecting the interior from the effects of the sun. I did get in the habit of sliding the moon roof door closed when parking in the hot sun for an extended period.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada Sun Angle: 52° N
Rockledge, Florida USA Sun Angle: 28° N

I still stand by my earlier post... seat color in the South can make a substantial difference in heat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the informative replies guys. I've lived and worked in Florida (all over) and I would strongly consider going with gray there. I have my name on an in transit MSM/black -E coming in locally next week, so if he can work the price down a bit, I will probably go with that.

I am fairly picky about caring for my vehicles, and I keep them a loooong time, so I'm thinking black may be best, all things considered (with a heavy weighting on the fact that it is hot around here only 3-4 months of the year!

Thanks again...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Solar Panels are black for a reason! Duh they retain heat better. I've had back & grey and black is hotter hands down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts