Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in the forum have any advice for tinting or using a black out cover for the head and tail lights. I have seen a couple of different options, from covers to a tinted film that is applied. I think I am leaning towards the film. What does everyone think, and do you have advice on places where I can get these.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Has anyone in the forum have any advice for tinting or using a black out cover for the head and tail lights. I have seen a couple of different options, from covers to a tinted film that is applied. I think I am leaning towards the film. What does everyone think, and do you have advice on places where I can get these.

Thanks
The guys over at California Wrap smoke head and tail lights for a living. They also remove it when a fix-it ticket is issued, so they make $ both ways.

You didn't ask the question to get preached at, but, as a fellow traveler on life's highways, I gotta tell you - there is a reason this is illegal in many states. It isn't safe. While it might look cool, the fascination will fade when some poor schlub rear ends your pride and joy because he couldn't discern brake lights in the glare of a sunny day. And just wait until your insurance claim is denied because of that cool looking tint. Do a quick search about the safety aspects of this "styling" modification - you may change your mind.

If you decide to put yourself, your passengers and other people sharing the streets of your town at risk - I'd recommend staying with quality vinyl suppliers like 3M. Stay away from spray on - when Johnny Law forces you to take the tint off, you'll appreciate how easy a high quality vinyl will peel off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OhSix - Thanks for your concern, and I respect your opinion. If I was to get them, and I am not saying that I am. I would most likely lean toward the tinted film. Anybody else know where I can find prices for this. Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had the vinyl on the rear tails and 3rd brake light for 2 years now. Not a fan. In AZ in summer heat, I found that parking in the sun all day at work the tint would soften enough that it started to shrink slightly along the edges exposing about 1/16-1/8 inch gap of no tint. If your not in a hot sunny location, you might be fine. Otherwise I recommend paint. And depending on your state, watch for cops. In AZ, they enforce ZERO and have yet to know anyone who has been warned or ticketed including myself during normal traffic stops. I also did the vinyl in a light tint, no reason to go the full black out look, that's just too much IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
I've had both tinted (vinyl) headlights and smoked (painted) tai lights. The headlights were covered in about a 30% tint, while the tail lights were a bit darker. They both looked great and I never had any issues with law enforcement until I drove to SoCal, where a Huntington Beach motorcycle cop followed me back into Fountain Valley and gave me a ticket for the taillights. Even though it was daytime, he said he couldn't see any of the red reflectors in the lights. (Of course with his aviator Sunglasses, I was surprised he could even see my truck). When I drove back to AZ, a CHP pulled me over one mile before the border to say my taillights were illegal. No ticket, just a warning. Neither said anything about my headlights. I replaced my taillights with black after markets and removed the tint from the headlights.
Now when I go to carshows, the taillights take 5 minutes to swap out, then the legal ones go back on after the show is over.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I have a side question.

I know we have all experienced or at least seen clouded headlight lenses on vehicles. My RL has the problem. Has anyone ever seen a clear film that would protect the lenses from clouding? Is it even possible?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
OhSix - Thanks for your concern, and I respect your opinion. If I was to get them, and I am not saying that I am. I would most likely lean toward the tinted film. Anybody else know where I can find prices for this. Thanks
Are you looking for pre-cut film specific to the RL? I've not looked but if kits exist, perhaps suppliers of "clear bra" products would have something? RL production #'s might be low enough no one sees the business case for pre-cut head/tail packages but you should be able to find out fairly quickly if they exist or not.

The only comment I'll add is: applying films on surfaces with compound curves can be frustrating b!tch of an experience - unless you are already well practiced with such things. Like all techniques, practice makes perfect so if you are going DIY, pick up a little extra film and practice away.

I have a side question.

I know we have all experienced or at least seen clouded headlight lenses on vehicles. My RL has the problem. Has anyone ever seen a clear film that would protect the lenses from clouding? Is it even possible?
Same answer as above from me. Not sure anyone makes pre-cuts kits.

On your topic: after buffing the OEM lenses a couple times only to have the cloud return, I opted for new replacement headlight buckets and had them covered with Clear Guard. In theory, these will never haze again.

ClearGuard.jpg

My idea is to buff the original headlight assemblies while they are off the truck, on a bench where proper buffing steps/stages can happen. When they are returned to pure transparency, have them covered in Clear Guard. Or if they turn out like new, maybe even spring for Clear Plex. Its made for windshields but I assume its good on polycarbonate plastics too. 100% UV blocking - I grabbed ahold of a black steering wheel in a BMW that had been sitting out on a 100 degree day. Interior wasn't the normal blaze of heat gain from UV streaming to an interior - no where near the "normal" of 140 or more. The steering wheel was only lightly warm - all of its heat was soak from ambient air - not the concentration of UV. During that demo, a rock was thrown at (what is probably) a $1K windshield. It bounced away, not mark or spider web left behind. Jaw dropping. Clear Plex is thick, much less pliable than Guard, so it might not wrap curves well. But it they come up with a solution for that, Plex might come down in price and be a great bra type solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts