Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had some time to black out my emblems with Plasti Dip. It was a beautiful warm partly cloudy day. So I mask everything off and began the task.

The first coat was just a fine mist, just to give the second coat something to better stick to. These photos were after the second coat.

This one was after the third coat.

Right after the forth coat, suddenly, without any warning, the clouds moved in and started dumping down the rain. I believe we literally got about 1" in 15 minutes. Possibly more. I scrambled to cover it, as it was about 2 minutes after the forth coat and I knew this was not going to be good. The Ridgeline logo took a little water, but the AWD took a LOT of water.

After the rain stopped the sun came back out so I carefully removed the paint cover and inspected the damage done. You can clearly see where the water got inside the "A" and the upper right corner of the "D" the paint has pulled away. the others emblems survived, to my surprise. So I went ahead and put on the remain two coats and pealed away most of the newspaper protecting the tailgate.

Because the AWD was already damaged, I went ahead and tried peeling away the PlastiDip on it first. It was not successful.

Because of the high humidity in the air, I decided to wait until late morning this morning to remove the the PlastiDip from the other two, giving them many more hours for drying time.

With the one exception of the AWD emblem, I am very pleased with the results and my luck. The process was very easy to do and I plan on also doing the same with the chrome on the bumper. This will also give me the opportunity to fix the AWD emblem while doing the bumper. I eventually want to black out ALL the chrome on my RL. Hopefully within the next few weekends.

I did get some overspray on the tailgate, but I read that a damp micro fiber cloth will easily take it off. So that is what I tried, and it worked fantastic with very little effort. I was pretty amazed at how easily it was removed.

I reached my limit on photos in this post, so I will post the remaining two in another post. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the remaining two photos.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’ve posted here and there about this adventure myself.

My emblems came out beautiful! Could be happier.

I also did the front grill and am not completely satisfied with the look but it’s good enough to leave it. Going by at 30mph it looks perfect. Walking by at 50 ft you can see it. 5ft walking by. Not terrible/great. (Blotchy).

I’m now left with the window trim and the rims.

I’ve got a roll of vinyl and am waiting to do the window trim. The rims I’m thinking are going to stay. Who knows?

Congrats on your job and saving it from the rain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve posted here and there about this adventure myself.

My emblems came out beautiful! Could be happier.

I also did the front grill and am not completely satisfied with the look but it’s good enough to leave it. Going by at 30mph it looks perfect. Walking by at 50 ft you can see it. 5ft walking by. Not terrible/great. (Blotchy).

I’m now left with the window trim and the rims.

I’ve got a roll of vinyl and am waiting to do the window trim. The rims I’m thinking are going to stay. Who knows?

Congrats on your job and saving it from the rain!

I definitely want to do the front as well, and the window trim, but vinyl might be better for the window trim. I am considering doing the wheels too, but I would probably apply those with the Plasti Dip Glossifier. I think it would make cleaning them a bit easier. I watched a video where the Plasti Dip was applied with the wheels still on the vehicle. He put plastic behind them to protect the discs and brakes. I am still wondering the best way to do this. Maybe somebody that has already done it can chime in with how they did the procedure.

Regarding your blotchy front end, you could always peel it off and start over. That is the great thing about Plasti Dip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes I’m a big fan of that peel and fix. I actually opted for a second round of layers and it fixed it up a bunch! Not perfect but that’s what ultimately got it to an acceptable level.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I’m a big fan of that peel and fix. I actually opted for a second round of layers and it fixed it up a bunch! Not perfect but that’s what ultimately got it to an acceptable level.

Looks great! Great color too. ;) Can't wait to get my front end done.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Looks great. I get my Hyperdip in shadow black today. Did you dip your entire grille? Any masking recommendations on the grill and door trim?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took the grill off the truck. If you pick up trim tools from amazon for $12 it makes it SUPER easy.

There’s a video on YouTube for removing the grill off a pilot. Same technique works on a RL. Just add the remove the H step which takes a little finesse but it comes off.

As far as the window trim goes.

I haven’t done it yet. Building up the conojes to do it.

I picked up black vinyl as it seems like a easier route to apply. But came across a few horror stories about its removal.

I’m leaning toward the plastic dip route but haven’t decided on the taping technique yet. A lot of the videos on YouTube are on cars that have different trim/rubber/fender dimensions (did that make sense?) and am not sure how it will work. I do not want to deal with pricing plasti dip out of the rubber gaskets of the door (saw someone on here say that was a nightmare and just ended up leaving it).

So have been leaning toward. Taping my lines and pulling the tape shortly after each spray then retaping.

I’m open to advice from anyone who’s sprayed their window trim on the 2G RL.

Excited to share and please post back you results!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh and grill masking and spray.

I didn’t tape it off at all. I sprayed the entire thing. Then peeled off the portion on the black part (it came off easy).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh and grill masking and spray.

I didn’t tape it off at all. I sprayed the entire thing. Then peeled off the portion on the black part (it came off easy).

Good to know you had an easy go of it. I'd rather not take the grille off. I will place plastic between the grille and the radiator tho. I heard you have to tape off the headlights though so I'll do that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took the grill off the truck. If you pick up trim tools from amazon for $12 it makes it SUPER easy.

There’s a video on YouTube for removing the grill off a pilot. Same technique works on a RL. Just add the remove the H step which takes a little finesse but it comes off.

I picked up black vinyl as it seems like a easier route to apply. But came across a few horror stories about its removal.

I’m leaning toward the plastic dip route but haven’t decided on the taping technique yet. A lot of the videos on YouTube are on cars that have different trim/rubber/fender dimensions (did that make sense?) and am not sure how it will work. I do not want to deal with pricing plasti dip out of the rubber gaskets of the door (saw someone on here say that was a nightmare and just ended up leaving it).

So have been leaning toward. Taping my lines and pulling the tape shortly after each spray then retaping.

I started the the rear H with the hyper dip today. So far so good. Rear bumper is next. They are saying that hyper dip is a much better formula for cars so maybe you'll have an easier time with the door trim. I'm just going to go for it and I'll let ya know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have gone back and forth over this. Plasti-dipping the window trim would require an incredible amount of masking. I think personally I will just get the vinyl done professionally.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have been wondering if taking off the grill would be a much better way to do this. Glad to know it's "SUPER easy" to do. I am traveling this weekend but will watch videos on Pilot grill removal next week. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
183 Posts

Notice which tool he uses and where he uses it to pry.

There’s another video of a guy doing it on a Ridgeline but the “ pilot video “technique is much easier

·
Registered
25 Posts

There’s another video of a guy doing it on a Ridgeline but the “ pilot video “technique is much easier

Thanks for the link. If it's easy I may just do this. I already installed tailgate lock and longer rear door checkers and those were chill.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

After watching this, yea it is fairly easy. The only real advantage I see from this is the ability to easily remove the upper chrome strip. That would be so much easier than a full masking job. however, the rest comes off in one piece so I see no real benefit in removing it. It would still have to be mask off pretty heavely. I can do that while in place on the truck. With the upper strip removed it should make it a bit easier. I still think the "H" logo is going to be a bitch, with the deeps wells around it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts