Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been discussed before, I appologize now. If not, then I will ask the question. I am thinking about putting the little 1" round blind spot mirrors on my truck mirrors. My question is since the truck mirrors are heated, will the blind spot mirrors cause any damage to the truck mirrors?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dunno.

I do know that changing lanes into the side of another vehicle that's in your blind spot will cause a whole lot of damage to all kinds of stuff.

I have 'em on both sides and use them constantly. The sail and rear headrests make them a necessity on this vehicle in my view (pun intended).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Personally I don't think those things are necessary, if you adjust your mirrors properly. Do the following:

1. With your head just toching the driver's side window adust the driver's side mirror so you can just see the back of the truck.
  2. With your head over the center console do the same with the passanger's side mirror.
  3. Adjust the interior mirror to fill in.
The above is coutesy of Clik & Clak, the Tappett brothers. After a rather harrowing trip to San Francisco I'm adding a fourth item. I'm putting a camera in a hitch cover and a monitor in the slot used for the mp3 player. This way I can see the tailgaters as well.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The little rectangular spot mirrors work a whole lot better. They are also convex, but with a lot less distortion and better field of view.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ive had them on my jeep liberty for 5 years and didn't have any effects on the defrost performance of the mirrors. Im assuming that the RL setup is no different. I also use the circle mirrors on the drivers side (the passenger side is way to small to see well), I use it [email protected] of the time during the day. At night its useless.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Spritegeezer said:
Personally I don't think those things are necessary, if you adjust your mirrors properly.
Yeah I read that years ago and it does increase visibility of "blind spot" traffic. Now if only my wife would stop readjusting them every time she drives it!
<< Honda Hint... Need dual memory seats and mirrors>>

·
Registered
214 Posts
After adjusting my mirror, but still running someone off the road, I want them.

Please tell us where you get them. Heard walmart has them but I assume VIP and such have them also

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RidgeNH, you can get them at any auto store, i.e. Kragen, AutoZone etc.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Spritegeezer said:
Personally I don't think those things are necessary, if you adjust your mirrors properly. Do the following:

1. With your head just toching the driver's side window adust the driver's side mirror so you can just see the back of the truck.
  2. With your head over the center console do the same with the passanger's side mirror.
The above is coutesy of Clik & Clak, the Tappett brothers. After a rather harrowing trip to San Francisco I'm adding a fourth item. I'm putting a camera in a hitch cover and a monitor in the slot used for the mp3 player. This way I can see the tailgaters as well.
I tried setting my mirrors like that and it felt really wierd. I feel like I need to see down the side of my truck as a sort of frame of reference. I ended up adjusting my back up cam the same way...I aimed it so I can just barely see the bumper along the bottom of the screen. I'll check out the tiny convex mirrors as they sound like a good idea.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Spritegeezer said:

I've done that for years. Takes a little getting used to, but I can follow a vehicle from my rear view mirror, to my side mirror, up until I can see it with my peripheral vision. Of course, I still look to the side to make sure nothing is next to me, but the blind spot itself is eliminated.

The biggest problem I have is that to move the driver's side mirror out enough to be properly set, the mirror reaches the end of its travel, so it is difficult to set properly because the mirror needs more room to move.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Spritegeezer said:

I did this a few months ago and after about two weeks of getting used to it, I now love this set-up.

I would like to point out something:

THE REAR VIEW MIRROR IS MOUNTED IN ORDER TO VIEW WHAT IS IN YOUR REAR VIEW.

THE SIDE VIEW MIRRORS ARE MOUNTED IN ORDER TO VIEW WHAT IS IN YOUR SIDE VIEW (I.E. BLIND SPOTS).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm also curious about these, which ones work well and fit well on a RL. I drove truck for a living for several years and am very aware of the benefits of these mirrors. IMHO you may adjust your vehicles standard mirrors any way you want but if you have a high load in the bed of your truck or have a tri-fold bed cover folded up, you are SOL. Another added benefit is able to see oncoming traffic as you merge onto a highway/freeway without having to turn your head at a 90+ degree angle that causes many people to swerve with the head movement.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'm also curious about these, which ones work well and fit well on a RL. I drove truck for a living for several years and am very aware of the benefits of these mirrors. IMHO you may adjust your vehicles standard mirrors any way you want but if you have a high load in the bed of your truck or have a tri-fold bed cover folded up, you are SOL. Another added benefit is able to see oncoming traffic as you merge onto a highway/freeway without having to turn your head at a 90+ degree angle that causes many people to swerve with the head movement.
Hallelujah & Holy Moses.... this is one heck-of-a dead thread resurrection!

FYI, I like the rectangular ones too..... they take up less space on your flat mirror, & give you the same left to right vision as the round ones. (I'm not looking in the sky or at the ground)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts