Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Was this information helpful, bulldgz would like to know?

• No help at all!

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Very helpful!

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • Needs better pictures or explaination

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI ROCS,
I hope this information helps you out. I recently replaced my blower motor,harness and transistor because it melted together. I hope there will be a recall on this soon, if there already isn't one. The dealer wanted $230 for parts and $290 for labor. $550 to do about 45 minutes work (if you don't know what your doing) and apprx $150 in OEM parts I bought online. Here are some photos to do it yourself.

Open the passenger door, Locate the parts for replacement. You will need minor tools and about 45 minutes. In the next pics you will see the two plastic panels removed. Therea re two screws one on either side to remove from the center console, A slight tug at the base will sepearte the console just enough to have a little work room. Don't worry if the top part of the console un clips a touch.
Step 1: Remove three screws from the bottom of the fan motor. Do not remove the harness clips yet. You will just unclip and replace with the new harness as you proceed along.
Step 2: Unplug the harness from the transistor and remove two screws to remove the transistor.
Step 3: Replace the transistor with the new part and replace the screws.
Step 4: Install the new fan motor and replace the three screws.
Step 5: Now you can begin installing the new harness. Start at the blower motor and work your way to each plastic fastener and wire clip, ultimately ending up on the drivers side via the back of the center console.
Step 6: Be sure all clips are fastened, Test the blower motor and replace the few screws and plastic access panels. I also suggest replacing your air filter, vacuuming the filter cavity, and removing any leaves in the windsheild wiper cavity on the exterior. Here is a link to my 45 second video of how to replace the in cabin air filter.
You can find my videos on youtube "SILLYICE"
Honda Ridgeline Air Filter Change
Honda RIdeline Oil Life Reset

BE SURE NOT TO SECURE THE WHITE PLASTIC HOLDING PINS, OR YOU WILL FIGHT THE HARNESS ALL THE WAY THROUGH. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being hard) I give this a 3 only because you have a little bending, arm contorting and a couple of knuckle skin scrapes here and there.

TIP: I ALWAYS SNAP A FEW PHOTOS OR A QUICK VIDEO OF THE PROJECT PARTS IN PLACE BEFORE I START. THIS WAY IF I GET TOO FAR AHEAD OF MYSELF I CAN ALWAYS TAKE A QUICK PEEK ON THE COMPUTER TO SEE THE ORIGINAL LOCATIONS. THE QUOTE: "you always have to have extra parts or its not done right!" CAN'T BE GOOD LOL!
I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU "ROC's" let me know.
<center>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>
</center>
ON A FINAL NOTE: If you answered NO HELP AT ALL on the poll. please post why. I'll try to correct the post or answer your question. It can only help you save money in my opinion......Thanks for the feedback. -bulldgz-

·
Registered
671 Posts
Great work and photo's. This is what I have been saying about this site despite the "know it alls" If you need answers you can usually get them reliably from here.
I am all for "fixing it yourself" or having it fixed by others, if they will not. Then taking it up with them later, in a way I am sure they will not like.:D

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
bulldgz, not too bad for your first post. Well documented and clear annotated pictures to boot!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Excellent post and just superb photos. The details are very easy to make out. I had mine replaced, under warranty because of low mileage, at the dealer, but if it happenes again, after seeing your post its DIY time. Thank you! :cool:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was very fortunate that my dealer went to bat for me two summers ago, when my system failed. It took forever to get the parts fan motor, fuse, wire harrnes, etc. but when it came it, they replaced and fixed everything at no charge. I had 38 months and 39,000 miles.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I smell recall here ! What stops the new stuff from doing the same thing ????????

BTW, your picks DO HELP lots !! Thanks !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
prohonda, I'm hoping there is a serious look into the problem. A recall is in order. especially if it can cause a fire. Thanks for posting:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Par3773,
Its actually very easy. Just do not secure the holding clips until you have run the harness behind the center console. The wiring is a little stiff and it could make for a few knuckle scrapes. I didn't take the whole console out. I just removed the two screws in the photo and positioned the console to reach back and grab the new harness.

Sorry you have to do it, but I hope the info helps.

Bulldgz:)

·
Registered
268 Posts
It was actually pretty easy. After inspecting the wire harness, it looked OK. No signes of overheating or burning. Next, I took out the fan motor. It was clean and rotated freely. So then I took out the transister. No way to tell if it was bad unless you follow all the electrical checks out of the shop manual. So I just ordered it from Bernardi. The price and stock number is still the same. It is just a 45 minute job. However, I can see where a dealer would charge 3 to 4 hours of labor. If you follow all the electrical tests in the shop manual for heater blower not working, you could easily run up the labor hours.

Thanks for the pictures and ordering info. Saved me a lot of time.

Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
My fan stopped working in my 2008 Ridgeline with 25k miles. Dealer just called and said the fan wiring harness had melted.

Searched this site and find I am not the only one that has experienced this.

Hey Honda, time for a technical bulletin and recall before this starts a car fire and someone gets injured!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well I had my blower motor changed out under warn. Will have to look under there for melt...........:act039:

·
Registered
25 Posts
safercar.gov homepage NHTSA homepage
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
Recalls - Search Results

1 Record(s) Displayed.
Report Date : January 8, 2010 at 09:52 AM
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V001000
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
HONDA / RIDGELINE 2006-2007
Manufacturer: HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.) Mfr's Report Date: DEC 23, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V001000
PE09008
NHTSA Action Number: PE09008
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 7600
Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006-2007 RIDGELINE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JANUARY 17, 2005, AND JUNE 7, 2006. A WIRING HARNESS CONNECTOR FOR THE HEATING, VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING (HVAC) BLOWER MOTOR LOCATED UNDER THE PASSENGER¿S SIDE OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL MAY BE ACCESSIBLE TO KICKING BY THE FRONT SEAT PASSENGER¿S FEET. IF THIS OCCURS, THE CONNECTOR TERMINAL MAY OVERHEAT, AND THIS MAY CAUSE THE WIRE INSULATION TO MELT OR THE WIRING CONNECTOR TO MELT.
Consequence:
SHOULD THE WIRING INSULATION MELTS AND THE EXPOSED WIRES CONTACT EACH OTHER IT WILL RESULT IN A SHORT CIRCUIT AND A FIRE COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND IF THE WIRING CONNECTOR IS DAMAGED IT WILL BE REPLACED AND ALL VEHICLES WILL HAVE THE PROTECTIVE COVER INSTALLED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
rule

I'll also add this to a separate thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the delay on the repost of images.... I hope this info is helpful to you.....

Be sure to check out my other clips... here is the reset of the oil life after changing your own oil. I recently posted on youtube.....

Bulldgz

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Bulldgz--Great post. This will be very helpful to any of us that experience this failure and choose to do the work ourselves. Thank you for adding to the store of knowledge on this site.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts