Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Was this information helpful, bulldgz would like to know?

• No help at all!

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Very helpful!

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • Needs better pictures or explaination

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heater blower quit today with no warning on my '06. Mine is an American vehicle that was brought into Canada and sold to me. Been a good truck but I wondered about this repair. I read on this great forum about the recall and decided to check under the passenger side dash to see if there was any scorching of the wires. Yup, and I could not pull out the plastic connector to the fan itself, melted. The fan still works and there is power to the connector so seems like it is just the connector that was toast.
Honda USA have arranged for a Canadian dealer to repair it under the recall.... pretty good service.
Thanks to everyone that posted to this thread.:act027:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,190 Posts
Sounds like your failure was at the connector to the blower itself. This can occur when the passenger accidentally kicks the connector. The solution (as I understand it) is that Honda put a guard over the connector now which is held on by 3 screws. My 2008 has that guard.

Here's a pic of the guard on my 2008 RTS:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My blower fan is not working. All the controls seem to work.

Mine is 2008' so no TSB recall

Any way to test if it's the blower motor , wiring harness or transistor.

I checked the 2p connector to the blower motor. It looks good no melting or charring of any kind.

I read about jumping the connector with a paper clip to test the blower motor.

Any way to test transistors?

I'll try to check the other end of the harness, for burns or melted connectors.

It snowy day and can't drive the truck.

Hopefully it's just the motor or transistor. Harness seems like too much work on a cold day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Checked the wiring harness and found no signs of burnt or melted plastic.

Checked blower fan by hooking it up directly to a 12v power source and it works fine.

Got a new power transistor from the dealership and the blower fan still doesn't work.

Is this the only connector that will burn or melt? (Lower center console)

I keep reading about another wiring harness behind the dash.

Is there another wiring harness that has issues other than the harness mentioned by the OP?

I checked the blower fuse (#21). Also checked the fuse on drivers side (7.5 amp)
Advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,190 Posts
Check post 30 in this thread. I believe that is the same connector that melted in my 2008 RTS.. at least the tech said it was when I showed him the pic. But he did not take a pic of my connector as requested. I do not know where this connector is located and thought it was behind the dash. Anyone know?

·
Registered
66 Posts
If that's the only wire harness, than I will get a new one and replace it.

Because I'm stumped, I just don't know what's going on. May just replace wiring harness and blower motor.

All help is appreciated,

now have to drive home in the cold and hopefully it doesn't fog up .

·
Super Moderator
23,190 Posts
In my case, when that connector melted, I had no hvac blower and neither of the radiator fans would run.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Everything seems to work. HVAC system displays and all accessories work.

Don't know about the radiator fans, been too cold and only drove it yesterday.
There harness may have a short.

I only looked at the connectors to the blower fan and large connector behind the lower center console.

I'll check the harness again after it warms up a little.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
There IS more than one connector that has caused fan problems.... but I don't recall the specifics. The TSB connector (can get kicked) is not the one that had 'melting' problems (the "melting" connector is located behind the dash near center if I recall- check Speedlever's posts in other threads for that ). Best you can do is spend some time searching threads to find those specifics. Otherwise, you could get a schematic & try to trace all of the connections..... it's likely more time efficient just to physically trace the harness back if you can & check the voltage at each connector. Sooner or later you'll find where the power 'quits'.
If this is too much for you (I don't think I'd like to take on that task), you should just bite the bullet & take it to a good auto electric shop & let them apply their expertise. It will save you some bucks having done what you have already (verifying it's not the fan motor, etc.).
You're doing the right thing checking out all the applicable components first; but if it comes down to chasin' wires..... that's when it can get tough. Good Luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found the problem!

It is the wire that goes to the blower motor.

It burned where the connectors meet behind the lower dash.

I got frustrated and decided to remove the wiring harness and just replace it.

Upon removal I barely saw that the plastic around the wire was not the same as the other.

I inspected it under magnification. And was able to see that it had indeed melted.

I missed it the first time because it was very hard to see . The melting was very subtle and had not dis colored the male connector. I had ordered a new harness and will install it later today.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I replaced the harness and the blower motor worked.

the harness is different for the 2008 and newer ridgeline. The new harness part number is 32157-SJC-A11 please double check before ordering parts

The first time I didnt see any melting, but when I was driving i decided to try to use the heater and that was when I smelled burning plastic.

when I took it apart today i noticed the actual melted plastic.

I hind sight I should have just replaced the harness first instead of replacing the transistor.

My truck is a 2008 RTl and it was not part of the recall. I will keep my parts and receipts in case they decide to include the 2008 in the recall.

Thanks ROC, saved me money by not having to take it into the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where did you order the part? Online? Dealership?
2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS - same symptoms. I have tested the blower, and the resistor. It must be the wire harness as you described.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
55 Posts
My blower motor sometimes does start when I get in the car. One guy says to give it a light kick and than it turns on. But I also hear ticking noise which could be some debris in there. So I want to change it anyways. Any idea why it does that? Is it just going bad?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My blower makes a whiny ticking noise, pretty much all the time. I removed it to clean and inspect it, then bench tested it. The electric motor is just kinds loud, probably on its way out. The fan was clean, no debris is the housing. Will probably just replace it soon as it's rather annoying. Super easy to get to, right there in passenger foot well.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts