Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking for a while and really enjoy the forums, just had a quick question on blower motors.

Recently my 2008 RTS was having an issue where when I started the vehicle with the air turned on (of any kind, not specifically AC) there was no air coming out of the vents. Then I found out if I turned off the air before turning the vehicle off, I could turn the air on later after I had been driving for a while.

Anyways, the air tried to kick on the other day and finally made a whining noise and air hasn't worked since. In short, I have assumed the blower motor is dead and was going to replace, however, I wasn't sure if I should be "maintenance replacing" anything else while I am doing it all. I know there is a transistor involved, etc. Just getting some thoughts on what parts to order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a side note I am seeing large amounts of the TSB/Recalls on the 2006-2007 Blower motor assemblies, this never extended to the 2008 as well did it?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,614 Posts
As a side note I am seeing large amounts of the TSB/Recalls on the 2006-2007 Blower motor assemblies, this never extended to the 2008 as well did it?

That is almost exactly what my 08 did. The dealer said that the 08 should have been included in that TSB. Mine was out for 3 days while they replaced the entire harness with the new improved one.

That was almost 3 years ago and covered under my Honda Care Warranty. They even gave me a rental to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is almost exactly what my 08 did. The dealer said that the 08 should have been included in that TSB. Mine was out for 3 days while they replaced the entire harness with the new improved one.

That was almost 3 years ago and covered under my Honda Care Warranty. They even gave me a rental to drive.
I had planned to go ahead and replace the transistor as well as the motor itself, but sounds like I should go ahead and knock out the harness also.

I unfortunately do not have the warranty any longer. Not too bad, better than a compressor dying on me.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hate to bring up an old thread but this is all I found when doing a search.

I have an '08 RTL and my blower just stopped working all of a sudden. Googling found threads talking about recalls, TSBs, bad resistors, bad wiring harness etc.

I'm completely confused. Can someone instruct me where to start? I'm guessing that I will not get Honda to cover this since my truck is now 10 years old, even though I only have 40K on the clock?

Assistance greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
671 Posts
Start at the dealer and see if the recall on the blower motor harness was done and then go from there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Start at the dealer and see if the recall on the blower motor harness was done and then go from there.
Well I called my local dealer. Checked my VIN and no recalls since it is an '08. Told them that several '08s had the same issue, didn't matter. Said I had to pay $75 diagnosis fee and depending what they found, may or not be covered by contacting Honda Corp.

F that. I'm not going on the hook for $75 only to be told, "sorry but you have to pay for the entire repair."

What a crock :(

CHECKS SO FAR: OK so found another thread and checked the #21 fuse under hood (blower fuse) and #30 fuse in cabin (HVAC controls). Both OK. Can't check the blower relay under hood as I don't have a spare but have not read anywhere that it was the culprit. I inspected the connector under the glove box and doesn't appear to be melted or any other issue. Ran the HVAC diagnostics found via google and it threw code that said there is a fault in the blower motor wiring circuit.

I have a voltmeter and I read somewhere I can check the voltages, ground etc. at the connector under the glove box. Can someone point me to those instructions please?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Is there a way I can use a voltmeter/amp meter to test the resistor or blower motor good to determine what is the culprit: (wiring harnes, blower motor, or resistor)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts