Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the transmission is blown in my 2006 RTL with 174K miles. Clunking in the rear for about 4 months, VERY intermittently which my mechanic never was able to duplicate when he drove it. Started losing power and then regaining it on a drive home from a long trip. Then behaved as if it were in neutral instead of drive (revving, but no power). It re-engaged and finally limped its way to my mechanic as the check engine light came on without ever needing to be towed, bless its automotive heart.

And the questions are: transmission failure? cost to replace a transmission, approximately? resale value of 2006 with a new transmission installed? any resale value of a 2006 WITHOUT a new transmission installed?

Thanks for your help!:eeyore:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
What is the maintenance history? Have you changed the the fluids including the transmission, front transfer case and the rear differential according the the maintenance minder's schedule. What fluid is in the transmission and is it at the proper level?

You could dump the transmission fluid (you'll only get out 3-4 quarts of the 10ish quart capacity) and take a look at it. There is a good chance that the fluid will look / smell burnt if the transmission is toast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
174 thousand miles on my faithful truck. Transmission fluid was drained and replaced with Honda fluid in April, 2016 before a 10,000 mile trip to Alaska towing a 2800 pound trailer. Clunking started after the trailer was disconnected. I have had the truck serviced by a local mechanic. I never asked for transfer fluid replacement or differential fluid replacement and cannot remember whether he ever recommended them. It had a major service at 100,000 at the Honda dealer when the weld between the transmission oil cooler and the radiator ruptured. And oil changes every 4,000 miles. I do not know from solenoids. Where do they live in the truck? Would a failure cause the check engine light to come on and the truck to lose power?

Thanks for an additional counsel!:eeyore:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,595 Posts
Have you pulled the tranny dipstick to check quantity (engine off and checked within 60-90 seconds of shutdown on level ground), color, and odor? Check your coolant overflow jug too. It should only have coolant in it.

Normal service guidelines would see rear diff fluid changes at 15k miles then every 30k thereafter. Tranny fluid and transfer assembly fluid changes by 45k miles then every 30k thereafter.

Severe service would probably halve those service intervals.

Another thing to consider is the SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death) which can occur when the tranny fitting fails where it enters the heat exchanger in the radiator. A check of your tranny fluid would be prudent. If that fitting fails and you catch it right away and park it, you have a good chance of saving the tranny. Otherwise the tranny is likely toast if you try to nurse it along until you have complete failure.

While your OCIs are very conservative, the rest of your maintenance sounds a bit sketchy, imo.

With proper maintenance and operation, there's no reason your RL won't last 400k plus miles. Whether it's worth repairing now is up to you and dependent on the problems you face.

Good luck.

Edit: here's a good example of the SMOD issue and cause.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ctures-corroded-rusted-radiator-fittings.html

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
If your rear differential and or front transfer case have 175K miles on them with the fluid never having been changed then they certainly could be part of your trucks issues. You might want to check with your mechanic as to whether or not these have been serviced. The maintenance minder on your truck will have called for these fluid changes multiple times over the 175k life of your truck. These aren't optional services but part of the required maintenance of the truck. . . . .

If the fitting for the (inside the radiator) transmission fluid heat exchanger broke loose there is a high probability that radiator coolant was sucked into the transmission contaminating the fluid. If extensive efforts were not taken to remove the fluid (and often times even in spite of these efforts) the transmission can be damaged / destroyed by the event. Your current issues may well be the result of the heat exchanger connection failure. Even if the truck behaved OK after the event the damage may now just be rearing its head. There a plenty of threads on this issue / subject on the ROC forum.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts