Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These photos are from early June. It was our first camping trip of the summer and the first time towing with the Ridge.

We stayed at the Challis Hot Springs campground and spent our days exploring the immediate area. Our first outing was to Mosquito Flats lake for a bit of fishing.

The first two pics were on the road just before we got to the lake. The rest are at the lake that we had to ourselves that day. Fishing was good, but it was rather chilly weather.

Attachments

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Great pictures!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were still significant patches of snow in the mountains, so not all of the roads were open yet. We stayed lower and on the open hillsides. There was a some mud and we had no trouble in any of the places we went.

There was a nice picnic area just above the lake. Many small mountain wildflowers were in bloom. That's Sparkle enjoying the mountain air. The final pic is when we got back to Challis. This is the big visitor center where the Salmon enters the valley and turns north. If follow it west, upstream, you will arrive in Stanley in less than an hour.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are a few pics of the fabulous, family owned treasure on the south end of Challis. We'd gone there before to enjoy the hot springs over the years, but this time we decided to camp there. The warm weather had not arrived and we figured if it remained nasty over the weekend, at least we could have a hot soak before going to bed.

Challis Hot Springs is right on the banks of the Salmon river and up against this colorful hillside. There is an outdoors warm pool and a covered hot pool for swimming and soaking. The warm water on the property is making the steam.

Our dogs are very content to stay in their truck. That's where they would wait for us when we used the hot pools.

This was the first time we'd ever stayed in a full service campground with hookups for our trailer. It was nice, but I still like being in the boondocks when we go camping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On our third day and the only warm day, we hiked in a couple of miles to the Jimmy Smith lake. We had it to ourselves too. Fishing was not good, but it was a nice place to enjoy some solitude. I found many more wildflowers to photograph.

We followed the East Fork of the Salmon River south as far as we could. The last forest service gate we came to was locked. We'd gathered some dirt on the Ridgeline by this time.

The mountains to the south were covered with quite a bit of snow still.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Really great pictures! Idaho is beautiful. IT's one of those states I've never been, but now want to go to!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Cool pic's, thanks for sharing. What kind of trailer were you towing?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Great series of pictures, Truckin'. Beautiful country.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1manparty said:
Cool pic's, thanks for sharing. What kind of trailer were you towing?
We have a Rockwood Premiere 12 foot box tent trailer. It's a good 3000 pounds packed with all our gear. The Ridgeline tows it so smoothly, we hardly knew we were towing. It was easy to keep up freeway speeds, even in long climbs.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The Ridgeline tows it so smoothly, we hardly knew we were towing. It was easy to keep up freeway speeds, even in long climbs.
I'll second that, Truckin'. Our Fleetwood Sequoia weighs 3,500 lb. ready to roll. It's been up Cabbage Hill on I84 east of Pendleton, which is a 6% grade for about 7-8 miles. I just set the cruise at 55 mph, the RL down shifted to 3rd and climbed the grade at a steady 3,400 RPM without a whimper. Coming down was a snap too. Again, set the cruise at 55 mph (there are several curves on the grade) and just let the transmission downshift to the appropriate gear to hold the speed steady. Real easy on the brakes.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nice pictures. Makes me wish I could have made my fishing trip this summer. Unfortunately work gets in the way of fun sometimes. The dogs do look content hanging out in their truck.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just south of the town of Challis is a sobering geologic feature: the scarp left from the 1983 earthquake up there. Two school children were killed on there way to school. Structural damage happened in the small towns of Mackay (Mac Key) and Challis, yet reached more than 15 million dollars. Imagine if this had hit a populated area?

It registered 7.3 on the Richter scale. The valley dropped 7 1/2 feet and the Lost River mountain range went up a foot. WOW!

The photo of the Ridgeline is from the observation area looking at the storm across the valley. There are a couple of pics looking right at the scarp. Then the last section is a sample of what you can see for 21 miles along the base of the mountain. This pic shows two scarps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We took a ride from the earthquake scarp, through the Lost River mountains to the next valley to the east. Our summit was 8318 feet (2,535 meters, for my Canadian friends). The road was clear but we got up to the snowy peaks. The scenery changed dramatically on this day long drive to explore the area. We were dodging storms and hoping not to get into impassable areas. The road was a good gravel road, better than we'd been on the previous couple of days.

When we looped back around and rejoined Highway 93 along the Salmon River, we stopped at a pull off at the last second to let the dogs out. Luckily we walked out first because we discovered this turkey and her baby. We got several pics, but this one shows the baby the best. The dogs had to wait for their run and we had smiles on our faces for our good luck at seeing the turkey.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts