Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a BE and a Nexus 5x, with androiid 7.0. I can pair my phone, get and receive phone calls through the display audio. However I don't get text message on the display audio. I don't get anything on the display audio when a message comes in when paired with bluetooth. I do get messages when I tether the phone and use Android Auto. The messsages show up in androiid auto.

Here is what I have confirmed, tried:
- confirmed message access is checked on the bluetooth connection for HandFreeLink on the phone
- unpaired and re-paired the phone a dozen times
- when I look at the phone from display audio, and go to the menu and select messages/text, I sometimes get the message "this device does not support this feature". Sometime I do see the phones message, sometimes I get this message.
- tried three different messaging apps; messenger (built in), textra, and hangouts
- made sure enable text/email is turned on under phone settings in the display audio
- made sure the new message notification is turned on under phone settings in the display audio

No messages ever show up. Any ideas of what else to try?

· Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Since you have a Nexus device you're probably rooted (or you should be anyway). Install the Xposed Framework on your Nexus then there's a Xposed Module called AudioBT that will force text messages and other notifications thru the vehicle's BT.

In reality you shouldn't have to do the above, but the Android interface on the RL2 is pretty much a mess. You're lucky to have a Nexus device that will allow you to force the notifications (it tricks the vehicles BT into thinking its an incoming call).

-Joe

· Registered
1 Posts
The I Phone has multiple notification settings which should be in the on position. The problem is likely in the Bluetooth settings. When you pair your phone this setting is set to the off position. To turn on go to Settings then select Bluetooth. Select the lower case i that is in the blue circle next to the Device for your Vehicle. Turn the Show Notifications button on and that should correct the problem.

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
One time, I was able to receive a texas message on my 2016 CR-V from my iPhone 6 at the time. I've never been able to get the feature to work on either my 2017 Ridgeline or 2017 Civic on either my iPhone 6 or iPhone 6S+. Song by Voice doesn't work, either. HondaLink only updates location, range, odometer, and oil life when it feels like it. My Ridgeline hasn't updated at all recently and my Civic hasn't updated in almost 3 weeks. I also experience occasional freezes and reboots with both systems. Honda's infotainment systems are admittedly a mess - particuarly if you try to actually use all the features they advertise.

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
One time, I was able to receive a texas message on my 2016 CR-V from my iPhone 6 at the time. I've never been able to get the feature to work on either my 2017 Ridgeline or 2017 Civic on either my iPhone 6 or iPhone 6S+. Song by Voice doesn't work, either. HondaLink only updates location, range, odometer, and oil life when it feels like it. My Ridgeline hasn't updated at all recently and my Civic hasn't updated in almost 3 weeks. I also experience occasional freezes and reboots with both systems. Honda's infotainment systems are admittedly a mess - particuarly if you try to actually use all the features they advertise.
When I was trying to make this work with my iPhone 6 plus, I couldn't figure out what was keeping it from working. But about four months ago it just started working on its own via Bluetooth. Works with email and text. I can't say it happens every time I get text or an email but for whatever reason it works frequently. If I get a chance I'll try to take a look at the settings and see what might've changed. I find myself canceling out of it most of the time because it's not important stuff or too detailed to deal with while driving.

Reactions: zroger73
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.