Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on getting a good Bluetooth. Is getting an after market deck the best way.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,586 Posts
I would assume that you have an aux input on your Ridgeline with Navi?

If so you can get this type of item:

I have a similar Belkin version of the above. Phone stays in my pocket. You can ping Siri or Android voice recognition by pushing the button/mic. Sound quality for the phone calls is good and people can understand you fine. You can also stream music through the bluetooth. Sound quality is good and is pretty much the same as if you connected your phone directly with a mini headphone jack cable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those cheap bluetooth devices use a FM band on your radio. They work great sometimes but usually get interrupted/static, especially in urban areas. You have to live with wires dangling about. Also, your phone does not ring over the radio. The streaming of music is mediocre at best. A good alternative is a voice activated GPS that has bluetooth if you must have an accessory device. Most phones now can be controlled by voice anyhow so the cheapest option is just a holder for your phone.
I opted for a new HU after trying a few options...happy now:act024:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I would assume that you have an aux input on your Ridgeline with Navi?

If so you can get this type of item:
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450...1451252261&sr=1-11&keywords=bluetooth+adapter

I have a similar Belkin version of the above. Phone stays in my pocket. You can ping Siri or Android voice recognition by pushing the button/mic. Sound quality for the phone calls is good and people can understand you fine. You can also stream music through the bluetooth. Sound quality is good and is pretty much the same as if you connected your phone directly with a mini headphone jack cable.
I have the unit that is linked - BTC450. It does work, but music quality streamed with BT is only fair. It can solve the hand's free Bluetooth problem cheaply, but has wires strewn about unless you do some fancy hiding. Uses power port and requires mounting the unit somewhere on dash. I would not spend the time to try to hide the wires.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I installed a USA Spec device in my 2006 Ridge probably about 4-5 years ago. It connected to my Iphone 4. I currently have an Iphone 6 in a Lifeproof case. My delima is the USA Spec device I have does not interface to my mini usb connection on Lifeproof case. So, I guess I need to find a blue booth option? I really don't want to change out my OEM Head Unit. I really miss not be able to listen to my Iphone over the OEM ridge sound system. What options do I have to connect my Iphone 6 to my OEM HU?

Thank you guys. I look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas.

I went with the USA Spec BT45-HON and really like it.

Try this.....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104897

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
What about an apple 30-pin to micro usb adaptor?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Great idea!! Thank you for your input.

Unfortunately, I tried that, the phone would charge, but music and iheart radio played only out of the Iphone itself. :confused:

What about an apple 30-pin to micro usb adaptor?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I just talked to LifeProof technical support and the technician "Harley" said I would need to a acquire at headphone cable that plugs into the headphone jack on the LifeProof case and then into the apple firewire connector. I have surfed the web and can't locate such a cable. Do you think this type of cable exists? If not, what options of bluetooth connectivity do I have with my 06 Ridge to my Iphone 6? Thanks.

Yes, some are set up for charging only. Have to make sure it's compatible with iPhone 6 audio output. Similar to this one for the 30-pin to lightning adaptor

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...rid_52243316890_&cid=aos-us-kwg-pla-btb-slid-

This is the one I use for my iPhone 6. If your life case is wired to charge only, then yes, your options are to remove the case or go bluetooth

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Now we are talkin Elkhunter! Thank you for taking the time to look up. This is definitely on the right path. Instead of the 8 pin male connector on this cable, I need the male micro usb connector to plug into the Lifeproof case. The 30 pin and audio connector are right on.

This looks like it could work

But part of the description says it is for Samsung ? I am guessing this does not matter as it is a standard audio headphone connector? The only down side is it ships from China and would be 4-5 weeks to get. What do you think?

There are probably other options. Something along the lines of this?

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/New...=&goog_pla=1&gclid=COKiz-68hcoCFQ2QaQod97YL9Q

I didn't take the time to evaluate this fully. Was looking more conceptually.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,586 Posts
Those cheap bluetooth devices use a FM band on your radio. They work great sometimes but usually get interrupted/static, especially in urban areas. You have to live with wires dangling about. Also, your phone does not ring over the radio. The streaming of music is mediocre at best. A good alternative is a voice activated GPS that has bluetooth if you must have an accessory device. Most phones now can be controlled by voice anyhow so the cheapest option is just a holder for your phone.
I opted for a new HU after trying a few options...happy now:act024:
Sorry but you should really read more and understand before you comment! . . . Look at the link and look at the item and understand what it is!

The device I linked on Amazon plugs into the aux input mini headphone jack that his (the original poster) navi ridge came stock with. It doesn't use any FM band and it will consistently provide good sound quality. You have one part of it plugged into the cigarette lighter and a button / mic adhered to the dash. With just a minimal amount of skill and creativity you can conceal the majority of the wires so that it looks quite respectable.

In my 06 RTS, I didn't have an aux input stock but installed an aftermarket one early on when I wanted to use an ipod based XM tuner. The XM has now been replaced with a Belkin bluetooth adapter that is essentially similar to the item I linked in the second post in this thread. As I have already said it works perfectly . . .Simple operation, good sound quality for MUSIC and PHONE. It also accesses voice commands on the phone (which is pretty much the whole point of hands free no?)

Overall, for those (like me) who think that aftermarket radios look like CRAP in the Ridge, adding an auxillary input and then one of these bluetooth adapters has been an excellent update. I would rather have the simple aux input part behind the dash with the bluetooth part cheap and replaceable on the outside. As bluetooth and phones evolve, you just replace the adapter with a newer one with the latest specs.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,586 Posts
I have the unit that is linked - BTC450. It does work, but music quality streamed with BT is only fair. It can solve the hand's free Bluetooth problem cheaply, but has wires strewn about unless you do some fancy hiding. Uses power port and requires mounting the unit somewhere on dash. I would not spend the time to try to hide the wires.
Sound quality? With my Belkin you can't tell the difference between plugging in the Iphone directly into the mini jack port or streaming over Bluetooth. Reviewers for the Knivo say the same thing. With bluetooth the Phone stays in my pocket which I find a major plus. The Knivo automatically pairs when you turn on the vehicle so that alone makes it better than the Belkin that I have which you have to tap to pair.

My 06 has been upgraded with aftermarket speakers. I also have dabbled in audiophile car installs in my youth. Listening to music through this type of adapter certainly isn't on the same level playing a CD from the head unit but for Itunes and Pandora it is indistinguishable.

Hide (most) of the wires if you want, or don't bother. That's up to you. Also the part that plugs into the cigarette lighter has one or sometimes two USB ports for charging so its not really completely hogging a power port. How are you ever going to have any sort of hands free setup on the Ridge without mounting a microphone somewhere???

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Sound quality? With my Belkin you can't tell the difference between plugging in the Iphone directly into the mini jack port or streaming over Bluetooth. Reviewers for the Knivo say the same thing. With bluetooth the Phone stays in my pocket which I find a major plus. The Knivo automatically pairs when you turn on the vehicle so that alone makes it better than the Belkin that I have which you have to tap to pair.

My 06 has been upgraded with aftermarket speakers. I also have dabbled in audiophile car installs in my youth. Listening to music through this type of adapter certainly isn't on the same level playing a CD from the head unit but for Itunes and Pandora it is indistinguishable.

Hide (most) of the wires if you want, or don't bother. That's up to you. Also the part that plugs into the cigarette lighter has one or sometimes two USB ports for charging so its not really completely hogging a power port. How are you ever going to have any sort of hands free setup on the Ridge without mounting a microphone somewhere???
My install may be different somehow, but I can clearly tell the difference between a direct cable to the AUX jack from my phone and the Bluetooth connection in the truck. I have heard it may also be an Itunes problem. Whatever it is, the direct cable is quite clearly better in the truck. I have a Bluetooth player in the house and there is virtually no difference between BT link and direct cable link. Given this limited info, I have surmised the problem is the BT unit in the truck. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I just put a $79 JVC HU my son got from Crutchfield in his Camry he wanted for the bluetooth. It came with the radio, a quick connect and a pocket to go under the radio. He could have gotten a 6" for the same price but wanted the pocket under it. Took about an hour to put in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Mpow Streambot Mini Wireless Bluetooth is awesome if you have an AUX input on your Ridge. Some other ROC member recommended it and I'm glad they did. Now, I am trying to return the favor. :)

$18.99 on New Egg with Free Shipping (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...t+Mini+Bluetooth+4.0+Receiver&N=-1&isNodeId=1

$16.99 on Amazon with Free Shipping on Orders over $35 or Free for a Prime Member of course (
)

Sound quality is great and calls sound excellent too! They say battery life is +-8 hours but in my experience it seems to go longer than that.

Can't beat it for the price and quality!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts