Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think the backup camera is blurry? Dealer checked and said the other RLs in their lot were the same. When I was at the dealer I compared to a Pilot and they both looked blurry. My '14 Odyssey is much clearer.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Anyone think the backup camera is blurry? Dealer checked and said the other RLs in their lot were the same. When I was at the dealer I compared to a Pilot and they both looked blurry. My '14 Odyssey is much clearer.
Is it blurry in all three modes? Also, which model do you have?

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Mine is not blurry, but the image is not as good as it is on the 2014 Toyota RAV4 that we also have. I don't know if it is the camera or the head unit that makes the difference. I have an RTL so it is the Ridgeline with the smaller screen. I do not know what the larger screen looks like on a Ridgeline.

With the RAV4, the image does degrade when the back-up camera lens is dirty. That happens more here in winter time with the salt spray from the roads, but can happen in better weather also. Try wiping the lens off and see if that has any improvement. I do this with the RAV4 every time I get gas. It takes less than a second to do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine is sharp as a tack. RTLT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a RTL-E. It's particularly bad when there isn't anything near by and all objects on the screen are at a distance.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I don't have a truck yet but from the videos I watched online, the camera does not look blurry at all. Have you checked the lens for the BU Camera?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a truck yet but from the videos I watched online, the camera does not look blurry at all. Have you checked the lens for the BU Camera?
The dealer service dept said they cleaned it, ive cleaned it as well. It serves its function, but irritating...

Is it possible to manually adjust the focus?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I don't know if you can adjust focus on those cameras. You'd have to move the lens fore/aft just a fraction of a millimeter.

Part of the problem may be if you are viewing it on the larger touchscreen. The camera may have been designed for the smaller screen, and just doesn't have the resolution to support HD output to the larger screen. They are apparently having similar issues over on one of the Acura forums, as well as across other brands (Ford/GM).

I don't imagine it would be too difficult to swap out the factory cam for one supporting higher resolution, especially if you are good at DIY, soldering, etc. However, you may lose multiple-view modes, or there may be other unforeseen complications.

Maybe the MMR will catch up to technology...

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
When I moved from a '14 Ridgeline to a '16 CR-V, I was surprised by how much sharper the backup camera was in the CR-V. The first time I put my '17 in reverse, I thought either the lens had grease on it or perhaps a protective plastic film wasn't removed during PDI. Neither was the case. It appears out of focus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was curious about this myself. I cleaned my camera lens and it still shows blurry and looks really bad at night when the backup lights are engaged. Has anyone fixed this issue?

2011 RTL using OEM doubledin headunit

/just noticed I posted in 2G...

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I dont touch the lens you can ruin it very easy. Its all about the temp/humidity/rain/snow and all the climate in your area, plus your own eyes. Ive noticed many times mine is blurry from warm garage into very cold or from removing several inches of snow in different temps that effect it ect...but after a bit of time its clear, best to leave it alone dont touch it you will do damage. Most own a smart phone I dont, treat it like that RL camera put your phone out there with the truck and see what happens with the lens in different sudden temp changes and weather, that wont happen to many are sooooooo attached to that phone you cant leave it for a minute :grin:. Its no different with my camera and binoculars I do the temp change and let them make there temp change and they all work fine. Works for me.......

·
Registered
277 Posts
I believe its to do with the interior screen size and resolution. The camera doesn't match the screen. If you have a little 4" screen it would probably be clear

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Why couldn't you swap a better camera in? Backup cameras are like $15 on Amazon, $20 for the good ones, $8 for the cheapies.

It is my understanding that the three different views are all software-driven.

If you have to use the factory camera, then polish it with some Plexus and then see if you can tweak settings on the display.

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
Why couldn't you swap a better camera in? Backup cameras are like $15 on Amazon, $20 for the good ones, $8 for the cheapies.

It is my understanding that the three different views are all software-driven.
Unlike those aftermarket cameras, Honda's camera uses two additional data lines so that the audio-navigation unit can command the camera unit to select one of three different views. The views are software-based, but this processing is done in the camera and not the audio-navigation unit. The video signal is a standard, composite video signal. The OE camera requires 6 VDC. Aftermarket cameras typically operate on 12 VDC.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Unlike those aftermarket cameras, Honda's camera uses two additional data lines so that the audio-navigation unit can command the camera unit to select one of three different views. The views are software-based, but this processing is done in the camera and not the audio-navigation unit. The video signal is a standard, composite video signal. The OE camera requires 6 VDC. Aftermarket cameras typically operate on 12 VDC.
The more I read posts on the ROC the more I am amazed at the knowledge you have about the RL, Roger. How do you go about educating yourself about all these newancess of our truck?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The backup camera works fine, but I agree the resolution is off for the screen. I can make everything out and it serves its purpose but the image is not a crisp image like in my CR-V.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts