Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Bob's 3.7L M90 Supercharged Build

165568 Views 288 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  VolvoFan
Here is my current progress. Going to use the stock intake mani spacer to keep the torque curve low. Already have KTuner and Bisimoto is gonna take care of the actual tuning.

305hp on tap will be a HUGE improvement. :grin:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 5
81 - 100 of 289 Posts
Nice work dopes6070,
I wonder if you will be able to smoke the GEN 2 RL like you did the Toyota? Have you put the 3.7 decal on?
No stickers I want to keep it stealth. It should be a good race! Hopefully I'd still win! If not then M90 supercharger at low boost :grin:

Would likely be a close race. The Gen2 will be slightly lighter, but his will have more power in general. I'd like to see it.
Maybe once there is a 2G RL that is on the forums in socal we can hit the drag strip and put down some times!
If all you 06-08 guys post in the Ridgeline section on the kTuner help forum maybe we can get support across all model years ;-)
Searching for some such help forum, I stumbled across this 2 year old thread that was deleted. I re-opened it. But I cannot unban Ktuner. I'm not sure why he was banned before. I don't see any reason based on reading the thread, but perhaps there was some PM traffic that resulted in the ban. I have no idea as I was not involved in that action.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...-reflash-possibilities-09-14-model-years.html
If all you 06-08 guys post in the Ridgeline section on the kTuner help forum maybe we can get support across all model years ;-)!
Searching for some such help forum, I stumbled across this 2 year old thread that was deleted. I re-opened it. But I cannot unban Ktuner. I'm not sure why he was banned before. I don't see any reason based on reading the thread, but perhaps there was some PM traffic that resulted in the ban. I have no idea as I was not involved in that action.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...-reflash-possibilities-09-14-model-years.html

Speed,

I'm pretty sure Dopes was referring to the Ktuner Forums.
KTuner.com ? View forum - Ridgeline Platform

I'm going to join them later and I'll post a link to this thread, unless Dopes posts a link to his own thread there to here.

Interesting stuff they are doing at Ktuner.

Speed,

I'm going to join them later and I'll post a link to this thread, unless Dopes posts a link to his own thread there to here.

Yeah I'm not sure about 06-08 based on that other thread but maybe if there was enough market pressure they will have no choice but to develop it.

I should post a link to this thread! Maybe I'll wait until I post some finished pictures where I no longer have zip ties holding my intake tube on >:)
Yeah I'm not sure about 06-08 based on that other thread but maybe if there was enough market pressure they will have no choice but to develop it.
I think it's more the older '06-'08 would require an entirely different approach then the one they are offering for '09-'14, and those are generally getting a little long in the tooth.

I should post a link to this thread! Maybe I'll wait until I post some finished pictures where I no longer have zip ties holding my intake tube on >:)
I'll let you post your own link to this thread from Ktuner. It's nice to know there are some options in the '09-'14 MY's Your making me want to trade up.
You should! ;-) I love my '13 it drives like a tank unlike the 2G. I will keep this one till at least 250k miles as long as it doesnt get wrecked. Should be about 12-15 years old at that time.
Speed,

Thanks mak. Just registered.
Just a small update for you guys. It's running like a clock. So smooth and the power is just nuts north of 4500rpm (and still much better than stock down low). I cant get enough of the sound. It is ferocious and intoxicating once the cams switch profiles!

Everything is still working perfectly including the transmission. I now have about 1500 hard miles since the swap and once again feel like this is the way Honda should have brought the RL to market with the 09 refresh. Think of the press back then with the RL destroying all other small trucks to 60mph. I really do believe it would have been a great success. Some of us Americans have a lead foot ;-)

I also got the Accord V6 MT intake manifold cover installed so no more Acura logo. I still need to fab up some sort of solution for the intake tube since the 3.5" rubber elbow that I bought wont work. 45 degrees is too sharp of a bend, it needs to be between 30 and 35 degrees.
See less See more
Wonder if any of the CAI build your own type kits have what you need?

When is the dyno session, or did you do it already.

Thanks again for the info. Favorite Thread!!!
Ideally all I should need is a 3.5" 35-degree rubber coupler with at least 3" legs. There are plenty of options in silicone but I want to avoid those and aluminum intake parts, as they are a dead give away that it's not stock. Easier said than done haha!

My dyno tuning appt is next Tuesday the 14th. I'm really excited to have some actual numbers!!
Reactions: 2
This is just quite simply some awesome stuff. I can't even imagine a RL with 300+ crank hp. Honda was way too conservative with the drivetrain in this truck. I know they were likely worried about the mechanical limits of the rear diff over a period of time, but the transmission is stout enough to take the 3.7 for sure. I have an 07, so no swapping for me, but it's great to think about. The 3.5 in my truck has been very well taken care of. It still provides adequate propulsion for my driving style and situation. However, there are those times when the extra grunt would be fun.
My dyno tuning appt is next Tuesday the 14th. I'm really excited to have some actual numbers!!
Post up a video of that when you can!

Did you by chance ever dyno your truck in previous "stock" configuration??
This "Thread" alone is making me reconsider driving my '06 till the wheels fall off or I retire. Not sure I have 12 more years in the seat of this RL, I had been considering some serious upgrades to get 10-12 more years out of it, but now I just don't know. Granted, once the insanity drops off I'll go Test Drive a '17, but I'd love to get a ride in Dopes '13, and I'm now looking over what may become available of '09-'14's in the next year.

Dnick, I believe that was asked, but, I agreed with the idea he posted that he's just accepting the stock numbers. Once other items settle out I'm considering a dyno run of my '06, but afraid it will make me want to sell it even faster. I haven't searched, I'm unsure if any 'owners' have posted a dyno of an '06-'08 or '09-'14, on here, I don't recall seeing one.
See less See more
Post up a video of that when you can!
I will definitely take some videos of it on the dyno for all of your entertainment! I wish I had a way to mount a camera inside so I could take some real acceleration videos without shaking all over the place!

This "Thread" alone is making me reconsider driving my '06 till the wheels fall off or I retire. Not sure I have 12 more years in the seat of this RL, I had been considering some serious upgrades to get 10-12 more years out of it, but now I just don't know. Granted, once the insanity drops off I'll go Test Drive a '17, but I'd love to get a ride in Dopes '13, and I'm now looking over what may become available of '09-'14's in the next year.

Dnick, I believe that was asked, but, I agreed with the idea he posted that he's just accepting the stock numbers. Once other items settle out I'm considering a dyno run of my '06, but afraid it will make me want to sell it even faster. I haven't searched, I'm unsure if any 'owners' have posted a dyno of an '06-'08 or '09-'14, on here, I don't recall seeing one.
You're more than welcome to shoot me a message if you're ever going to be in the orange county area. We can try to set something up!

2009 - 14 prices should really drop once the 17 hits and people realize it. At that point in time it might very well be worth an upgrade for you!
Here are a couple new pictures. You can see the intake manifold cover and aluminum elbow have been replaced. Unfortunately the rubber elbow just doesn't fit quite right. I'm still looking for another option and may even consider using the stock intake manifold and throttle body so I can use the stock intake tube, but I will dyno test everything with the tuner if it has to come to that to make sure I'm not losing much power. I will not accept losing more than 5 horsepower even if it means I need to figure out how to mold rubber myself haha!

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 3
I don't think the tube looks all that bad. Certainly not bad enough to warrant going back to the OEM manifold and TB. I guarantee you would lose power if you did that. A few on here have done the 3.7 intake manifold swap and have seen actual gains by doing that. Choking the engine with the 3.5 manifold and TB would be a step backwards. I have no doubt you'll find a solution for the intake tube that will satisfy your stock-look preference.
I still need to fab up some sort of solution for the intake tube since the 3.5" rubber elbow that I bought wont work. 45 degrees is too sharp of a bend, it needs to be between 30 and 35 degrees.
I feel like Adam making suggestions to God here, but have you considered Plasti-dipping the aluminum elbow? It'll give you the OEM rubberish non-threatening finish it seems you're after. I use it on everything from wheels to motorcycle transmission/engine cases and clutch covers. It's very durable and holds up much better to heat than I ever would've thought possible.
I don't think the tube looks all that bad. Certainly not bad enough to warrant going back to the OEM manifold and TB. I guarantee you would lose power if you did that. A few on here have done the 3.7 intake manifold swap and have seen actual gains by doing that. Choking the engine with the 3.5 manifold and TB would be a step backwards. I have no doubt you'll find a solution for the intake tube that will satisfy your stock-look preference.
I might just keep the rubber 45 degree bend in there. Thanks for the arn twisting haha! I just hate being picky/OCD! :|

I feel like Adam making suggestions to God here, but have you considered Plasti-dipping the aluminum elbow? It'll give you the OEM rubberish non-threatening finish it seems you're after. I use it on everything from wheels to motorcycle transmission/engine cases and clutch covers. It's very durable and holds up much better to heat than I ever would've thought possible.
I hadn't thought of Plasti Dip! I may try it on the aluminum part to see how it comes out. Great idea! thank you! I'm just glad to offer something that this forum has never seen! I love sharing ideas and also proving all the modding naysayers wrong! >:)

I can't wait till Tuesday I'm so unbelievably excited to get the tune finished and have numbers for you guys!!
I might just keep the rubber 45 degree bend in there. Thanks for the arn twisting haha! I just hate being picky/OCD! :|

I hadn't thought of Plasti Dip! I may try it on the aluminum part to see how it comes out. Great idea! thank you! I'm just glad to offer something that this forum has never seen! I love sharing ideas and also proving all the modding naysayers wrong! >:)

I can't wait till Tuesday I'm so unbelievably excited to get the tune finished and have numbers for you guys!!
Plastidip is a great idea. Just make sure you clean the part extremely well with dish soap and a clean rag first. Use several very light coats and build up the finish you want. If it doesn't work or you don't like the look, you can just peel it right off.
81 - 100 of 289 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.