Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 200 miles ago I started hearing a "creak" inside the cabin. It only happened when the body was in some kind of twist (turning into a drive going uphill, etc) at low speeds. I narrowed it down to the driver's side A-Pillar area on my own. I tried tightening everything I could including all of the sub-frame bolts underneath... to no avail.

Fast forward to today. Finally took it in to dealership. The head foreman went for a ride with me and heard it also. They put their best body tech on it and after 7 hours of tearing apart and listening with electronic body "ears" he pinpointed where it is coming from. Good news right? No.

The foreman called me up and took me out to the RL which was almost stripped down completely on the inside. The tech told me that it is definitely in the welds above the A-Pillar. He did not know if it was one of the "inside" or "outside" welds of the substructure. They would need to send it down to the actual body shop and have them disassemble the body further to find the actual offending weld point. Sigh...

I told them to just put it all back to together for now.. since they know where the area is that the noise is coming from they told me to bring it back when I can do without it for a week or more ( think loaner CRV or some crap). So I've got it back at home now all put back together. No new rattles or anything so it was put back correctly.

I'm not a happy camper. Only 6K miles and I have a problem with a weld! Right now wife and I are in talks about unloading this thing for a Sequoia. I really wanted this truck to work out! Not big on Honda quality in my mind now.... funny thing is, we've had two Odysseys and both were/are great. Last one went 190K without a problem and current one we've owned since new has 147K.

Just sharing in case someone else gets a "body creak" going on and needs a place to start looking.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't understand the whole vehicle is junk from One problem. And supposedly found. So it could be fixed. These vehicles are but together by a mix of robots and humans. My dad told me one day when I was complaining about my car. Cars are manufactured by humans and that's 2 strikes against it. Now we have robots with a bad day. Does that really make the car a piece of sh-t.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
At least you have a good dealer that's doing what they're supposed to do and didn't try to explain everything away. That's half of the battle right there. You were on the fence with the RL earlier and here is yet another reason. Personally, I'd let them fix it and if you're not happy after that then dump it. Yes, this could be a drawn out saga with changing stories but if you don't let them try you'll never know. Good luck with your decision making.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand the whole vehicle is junk from One problem. And supposedly found. So it could be fixed. These vehicles are but together by a mix of robots and humans. My dad told me one day when I was complaining about my car. Cars are manufactured by humans and that's 2 strikes against it. Now we have robots with a bad day. Does that really make the car a piece of sh-t.

Not saying it's a POS. I honestly enjoy my RL. The problem, as explained to me, will require that the truck pretty much be disassembled down to the core structure... then "hopefully" they will be able to tell exactly what weld needs fixing. I paid close to 40K dollars for this truck. It was going to be my "ten-year" truck. That is a LOT of money to me and my family. I've owned many cars, SUV's and trucks in my lifetime... I've never, ever had one that had a WELD point that was wrong from the factory. Little things I can overlook of course, as you stated, humans make mistakes. But this is a pretty bad problem. I'm also more than worried about the truck being "right" again after disassembly and rebuilding.
Yes, this is ONE problem... but it's a pretty big one.... maybe one that I'm not willing to move forward with.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
478 Posts
It's a huge disappointment when stuff like this happens. I've been in your shoes but with a brand new Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4. At least your dealer is willing to attempt a repair. Maybe give them a chance to fix it and see what happens. Keep in contact with the bodyshop while they're doing the work. I know it's a PITA, but if you're gonna ditch it anyway, i'd let them give it a shot.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,156 Posts

If the problem truly is (as diagnosed) a bad weld, that really is simply inexcusable. This type of issue should be discovered during manufacture and should NEVER make it out in the world.

To fix, the amount of R&R required is huge and there is the mater of correcting a weld that is fundamental to the structure of a unibody vehicle. With proper skill and dedication the repair can be done but any of the steps can be botched too, some of which may be less than apparent initially.

This would sour my attitude quickly and I sure as hell would be campaining for some additional warranty coverage and complete disclosure of all the steps taken to repair.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Let them fix it. Ask to see the repair before they put it back together if you want some extra peace of mind.

After I bought my 2008 Tundra, only one month in, a guy on his cell phone didn't turn in the left most exit only lane and ran into me at about 65mph. Wrapped his sedan around the front of my truck and luckily I was able to steer us both back into the highway with him attached to my front bumper. There was a large embankment to tumble down if we had made it just a little farther onto the curved exit ramp. I tell myself that it was just part of God's plan that I was there that day. I may have saved that guy's life.

Anyway, there was quite a bit of work that had to be done on my brand new truck by the body shop. I got it back and it was fine. No troubles from that repair at all. Traded that in on my 2019 Ridgeline.

Point is, stuff happens. You could buy a new vehicle and something could happen with that one.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Chances are this is not a safety issue, but a collision with just the right parameters and it very well could be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a pop and creak every time i turned 90°. thought it was the strut or tie rod until I removed my No-Lo skid plate and went for a test drive. I couldn't reproduce the noise. My theory was there was some metal on metal contact between the sub frame and skid plate every time the body flexed so I added some vinyl washers in between the subframe and plate on the back mounting bolts. No more popping and creaking. Just the odd vibrating rattle underneath the dash from the metal power steering box but I can live with that since it doesn't make the noise very frequently. 🤗

1 - 10 of 10 Posts