Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have folks done to get rid of the trunk smell? After more than a week of trying to let it "air out" it's still really strong so it's time for chemical warfare.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,872 Posts
Re: Getting rid of that new truck trunk smell

There's a pre-existing thread about this. You might want to search. There may be some suggestions in it.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
The other thread mentioned Febreze. I've heard of putting a saucer of vinegar in a car to get rid of smells, but then it smells like vinegar. :p

If you have access to a small ozone generator, you could throw that in there, except that it might deteriorate the rubber components.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the drain plug removed. I figure it might air out .....eventually. The Internet thinks these work for plastic food containers...

A) lemon juice, vinegar, baking soda (scrub)
B) charcoal ( place in container/trunk)
C) coffee grounds ( place in container/trunk)
D) baking soda ( place in container/trunk)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a pre-existing thread about this. You might want to search. There may be some suggestions in it.
Thanks for suggestion, but I recalled it being mentioned before as well so searched prior to posting. I couldn't find it so thought it might have been a random post in one of the 2000 page threads. I figured a dedicated post may prove helpful for future searches. Granted my search fu may have failed me...

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
359 Posts
I just leave the door open when I can to air it out, it's not as strong as it was, but I've only done it a couple of times, we've had a lot of rain lately.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Leave the trunk open with a small fan blowing into it.

Admittedly, this is not exactly an earth-shaking breakthrough in "de-stinking," but it really will speed up the process by a couple orders of magnitude:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the drain plug removed. I figure it might air out .....eventually.

The Internet thinks these work for plastic food containers...

A) lemon juice, vinegar, baking soda (scrub)
B) charcoal ( place in container/trunk)
C) coffee grounds ( place in container/trunk) D) baking soda ( place in container/trunk)

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
Re: In-Bed Trunk Smell and how to clean?

My trunk "odor" seems to be coming from the glue used to fasten the bed material to the trunk lid. Just like silicone. :grin: It will take a while for that glue to cure sufficiently to eradicate the odor.

·
Registered
407 Posts
While shopping for a G2 RL I noticed the distinct odour of "automotive body shop" when opening the trunk.

I thought to myself, "I ain't buying this truck... it must have been damaged and repaired".

Well, when my new BE arrived it had the same odour from the trunk.

So a question for the collective... did your truck have that smell too?

I'm wondering if it isn't some sort of adhesive used during the manufacturing phase.

·
Registered
401 Posts
re: "Body shop"/"Resin "/"Bad" smell from trunk

I have the same odor - to me it smells like Testors modeling glue. Haven't had the time personally but others have reported a good scrub with soap and water and an airing out with fans gets rid of it.

Some have just reported that they only smell the tire so I guess its not on all of them.

Oh, and congrats on the truck. Don't forget to update your profile before everyone yells at you :)

·
Registered
407 Posts

I have the same odor - to me it smells like Testors modeling glue. Haven't had the time personally but others have reported a good scrub with soap and water and an airing out with fans gets rid of it.

Some have just reported that they only smell the tire so I guess its not on all of them.

Oh, and congrats on the truck. Don't forget to update your profile before everyone yells at you :)
I can't get the signature line to change? odd really... :surprise:

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Body shop smell" from trunk

My RTL had the same overwhelming smell in the trunk. To me it smells like automotive paint. I washed the trunk out and let it air out which helped quite a bit, but the smell is still present. Does anyone know how to defeat the trunk lights when it is left open? Would like to park it outside in the sun with the trunk open all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,979 Posts

The fragrance emanating from the rear area was one of the first things I noticed when I picked up my Ridgeline. It's most likely a chemical solvent used in the composite material. My attached garage and even my house now smell like a fiberglass boat factory. It's pungent, yet alluring. :) It'll continue to outgas and smell like that for months or even years since the trunk is usually closed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: "Body shop smell" from trunk

On another thread one of the recommendations was OZIUM. I kept the info so I could use when my truck arrives if it has the problem. Congrats on your new Ridgeline!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

The Ridgeline I test drove and the one I ordered both had the trunk smell.

I'm over 2 weeks into my Ridgeline and the smell is still hanging in there. It's more than just the spare tire, so I'm guessing it's something in the manufacturing process.

I use my trunk a lot and haul our groceries in it. So far I haven't noticed the odor tagging along with anything that's been in the trunk. I'm thinking about trying a couple boxes of baking soda to see if that can absorb some of the odor. Otherwise I may try driving around with the trunk open to air it out.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Maybe pull the drain plugs in the trunk while driving around to give it some more air and help it air out. 2 month owner as of today and the smell is pretty much gone. Although, I have been in and out of the trunk a good bit.

1 - 20 of 427 Posts