Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

401 - 411 of 411 Posts

·
Administrator
14,042 Posts
I read through this thread before I bought my 2020 RTLE in January, and assumed that the smell would be like any other new car smell. Boy, was I wrong! This trunk smell is atrocious and refuses to dissipate. I washed out the trunk with soap & hot water in the first week, and I've left the trunk open in my garage nearly every day for three entire months with odor absorbing products in there the entire time. It smells as bad today as it did on day one. I wouldn't mind if I never planned to use the trunk, but the smell seems to transfer to stuff that I've carried in there, mostly items with fabric (like clothing), but including some groceries. Hopefully, it's not permanent, or the trunk will be much less useful than I had hoped.
You can't wash the odor away - it's IN the material, not ON the material.

Leaving the trunk open will only temporarily dilute the odor - as soon as you close it it will become concentrated again. This is because the odor is constantly being emitted from the material.

Odor-absorbing substances like charcoal won't "suck out" the odor any faster, although they may dilute the concentration while the materials emits its odor.

Sunlight (UV) won't help because, again, the odor is IN, not ON, the material. Light doesn't get inside the material.

Heat won't help - the material was already FAR hotter while is was being molded than it will ever be on the hottest, sunny day.

"Air fresheners" won't remove the odor - they'll just cover it up with additional chemicals that smell better to some people.

What WILL work with 100% success and requires no effort and costs nothing? PATIENCE. The smell (which doesn't bother me at all) WILL fade over several months on its own. Alternatively, you could paint the surface with a sealer, but good luck finding a sealer that emits no odor of its own.

I give you my personal guarantee that cigarettes, alcohol, junk food, medication, cosmetics, perfumes, and cleaning products are doing FAR more damage to your body than a few seconds of exposure to the Ridgeline's trunk a few times a week. :)

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I don't know about several MONTHS, but after 3 YEARS, I trust it now to put food in the trunk.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
386 Posts
My 19 bought in September and it had a strong odor when i bought it... 3/19 build date.
Now, i don't even notice it...it gets better..

It still has a small amount of tire smell, but that's only because "there is a tire stored in the trunk"...haha..
Not sure that will ever completely go away. But, it is hardly noticable now...

·
Administrator
14,042 Posts
I don't know about several MONTHS, but after 3 YEARS, I trust it now to put food in the trunk.
I've carried groceries, pizza, and other food in the trunks of five new Ridgelines for nearly 15 years from day one and no one who has eaten any of that food has become ill or died as a result. I'd be far more concerned about the chemicals you can't pronounce that you put on your skin and in your mouth every day. :)

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
509 Posts
I pulled the drain plug and drove with it out for a few months. At that point the smell was mostly gone. I’ve used the trunk for all sorts of stuff including groceries with no problems. I no longer smell any of the odor that was there.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I never noticed much odor when we got the truck in January, but i can smell it on warm days now. I suspect it will be pretty odoriferous once the weather warms up thoroughly. Perhaps others will notice this if their truck has been parked in cold weather, or a cold garage and the weather warms.

IOW, the smell of their trunk may not have gone away as much as they thought it had.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I've carried groceries, pizza, and other food in the trunks of five new Ridgelines for nearly 15 years from day one and no one who has eaten any of that food has become ill or died as a result. I'd be far more concerned about the chemicals you can't pronounce that you put on your skin and in your mouth every day. :)
Oh, so you're saying that I shouldn't be gargling with methyl-ethyl ketone, eh?! :p

·
Registered
791 Posts
I never noticed much odor when we got the truck in January, but i can smell it on warm days now. I suspect it will be pretty odoriferous once the weather warms up thoroughly. Perhaps others will notice this if their truck has been parked in cold weather, or a cold garage and the weather warms.

IOW, the smell of their trunk may not have gone away as much as they thought it had.
"Odoriferous" - is that a Greek tragedy I was forced to read in high school?

Got my RL around Thanksgiving, and think it smells stronger now too - gotta be temperature-related, as you theorize. I don't actually mind it much though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Amen to that brother!

401 - 411 of 411 Posts