Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pic of installing the body side protectors. These are the Honda accessory panels. I got them from our pals at H & A (website sponsor).

I have actually had them for several months but finally got around to installing them today.

First, some simple before and afters. The first pic is the left side before. The second pic is the left side after. The third pic is the right side once I finished it.

Attachments

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now for some installation tips.

First pic is the essential equipment. I did not use the Stanley tape measure because it did not have metric measurements. I instead used another tape measure that had the metric measurements on it.

The second and third pics are self explanatory.

The forth pic shows how to prepare the panel for installation. You put the painters' tape on the red adhesive backing to use as a tab when pulling out the adhesive backing (as shown in the fifth pic).

Attachments

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now here are some pics showing the various measurements.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks great...were they hard to install, or take alot of time? We just purchased our RTS 3 weeks ago, and I am seriously thinking of buying them online and installing myself, since the dealers around here want way too much money.

Thanks again for sharing!

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were not very hard to install. It took me about 1.5 hours and I was moving slow and deliberately.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Looks great Zero. It's one of the first accessories that caught my eye but haven't seen many pics of it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Zero, those are instructions I could follow. Thanks for the detail. I appreciate your care and effort to help the rest of us have an easier time of it if we follow suit.

I am still hedging on the OEM side protectors. First of all, they are ridiculously expensive. Second, I don't really think they add much to the looks of the truck. Maybe that's because I haven't seen them in person.

That being said, I'm really pissed that we got a scratch on the door and I don't want any more of them. We may try some other type of protector if I can find something I like.

If we go with OEMs, I'll be back looking at this fine post for guidance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks great zero,did you use the purple painters tape on the body?Are the tape mrkers under the molding or just butts up for a reference guide?Do the moldings settle in the hollow fairly well and the tape is just for final adjustment to make for a perfect alignment?
Just ordered my moldings today because of a parking lot ding on my 4 day old ridge with 192 miles :mad: I thought that the moldings were unattractive until I saw that ding.I want to get those side moldings on before people make my ridge look like a beer can on the highway.

L

·
0 Posts
Nice job zero. You should go into the accessory installation business. Very detailed and I like your "deliberate" style.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Zero, you da man! Instructions are very well laid out. I'll have to save up for those very expensive plastic bumpers next. I'm sure they are still way cheaper than a slab side of door dings on the sides of our brand new trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I really feel that the side protectors enhance the look of the truck but if I purchase them, it will be for protection against door dings. Do those of you who have them installed feel that they offer enough protection/coverage to justify the cost? Have your protectors taken any hits yet? Have your door skins been hit even with the protectors installed?

Thanks for any feedback that you might offer and thanks to zero for the detailed info.

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No dings on mine yet.

I wonder if a set gets too banged up if there would be a way to remove them and replace them.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
zero said:
No dings on mine yet.

I wonder if a set gets too banged up if there would be a way to remove them and replace them.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. :)
The double sided tape (3M) easily comes off, starting at one end and pulling the bumpers straight off. But once removed it is not reusable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice write up and pictures on the install!

I went back and forth on the idea of having to buy the body protectors. I really hated to have to spend the $400 on something that should of come with the RL. With that said, I couldn't bare the thought of my truck sitting in the parking lot completely unprotected from door dings. After installing them, I thought it did look better with them in place. The door depressions, to me, need "filled" (for lack of a better word).

Honda Guy

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great job zero!! Your instructional guidance and pictures should convince anyone who wants them to be brave enough to do it themselves. I noticed that you also have running-boards. Are they high enough and do they stand out far enough to stop doors in parking-lots short of hitting your doors?
Nice work again!! :D

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think the running boards are high enough to stop any doors from hitting the truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Super job Zero....Love the pics and tutorial....they are extremely helpful. I am still debating about ordering and installing the body side protectors on our new RL. This is a really off-the-wall question, but due to the indentation in the door designs, do you think water could get through the top bodyside moulding adhesive and lay behind the mouldings? Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice job zero, I didn't have the metric ruler so I wound up just eying it. Took me 30 minutes alltogether. It really wasn't that hard and the indentation on the doors is a great guide. I read the instructions and practically gave up on it... I found it to technical. Its only side moulding, not some precision instrument.

But, I'm the type that don't follow instructions anyway. See http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2184 for side moulding pics.

But, if precision is what you wan't and have the time... buy a metric ruler.

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mnmpa,
I am concerned about this as well. I have not washed the truck yet since putting on the pieces. I have driven in the rain and splashed through some big mud puddles. I have not seen water dribbling out of any gaps yet. I will keep you all posted.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts