Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the boss amp to drive factory subwoofer. I already have 8 gauge power and ground installed for my powerbass amp. Gonna be pulling that amp out for now since I don't drive now..

I know proper install would be tie into HU wires. Trying to easily swap amps and go with it. Will that be to much wire for that boss?? I'm gonna run speaker wires from factory sub to amp..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where do you have the wiring running to? Where did you have the amp you took out located?

I just recently hooked up a Boss ce200m to the factory subwoofer about a week ago. I was planning on installing the boss amp behind the dash, but the prior owner ran 4 gauge wiring and rca cables under the carpet to a point under the back seats. We installed a new radio, backup camera, and decided to utilize the work of the prior install and use the existing amp wiring. Moved the wires under the carpet a bit, removed the back seat, installed the Boss amp to the back wall. We cut the existing wiring behind the Honda connector and re-wired it to the amp.

I believe the Boss amp only needs like 16 gauge wire? In order to hook the heavier gauge existing wire to the Boss amp, we used a terminal block like the one below. Run the heavy gauge wiring to one side, and the amp to the other side. Works beautifully.

Hopefully I explained everything well.

FRYS.com*|*PHILMORE

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very explainable.. Yes my wiring and current 900 watt powerbass amp, with 8 gauge are under passenger seat.. I should be able to dig up a distribution block in my audio goodies...

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
You can use the distribution block if you'd like, but it's not necessary. Just like with home AC current wiring, there's no harm in going too large on the wire, but there's certainly harm in going too small. I always went a size or two up from what was "recommended" by the manufacturer. My current small 2ch amp recommends 10 gauge, but I'm using 8 gauge. If the wiring input on the amp is too small to put the 8 gauge in it directly, using the dist. block to scale it down won't hurt a thing. I would recommend putting a piece of electrical tape over any of the outputs you aren't going to use. There's next to no risk of causing a circuit by leaving it exposed, but I'm just one to not take that chance. I use tape or heat wrap on everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts