Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have the Honda bed cover and like it but with the bed so high, you will be finding that you wait to haul stuff that you don't want wet that doesn't fit under the cover. I did get a cheap bed rug so stuff isn't always sliding around back there, plus I can roll it up when I haul mulch or other dirty stuff. The manufacturer says the bed rug can be vacuumed, hosed and power washed without damaging and I think it'll dry fast (the cover isn't 100% waterproof). The cover helps with gas mileage, too. I've gotten 29 MPG on trips to Florida from Ohio at 70-80 mph on my 2019 Ridgeline.
Been thinking about a Honda OEM cover for my 2019 RTL, mainly because it's about the only one that doesn't require rails - really want to preserve full-width use of the bed.

How do you like yours? Is it doing OK on water leakage (pretty sure none are actually "watertight")? I believe they're fairly east to remove - have you done that by chance?

TIA

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I went through very similar thought process and “agonizing” over the purchase back in November/ December and like you once I was ready to pounce could find no -e left except for white ones and no thanks, just couldn’t do it. Looked over 5 states, nada but then a dealer 25 miles away contacted me they had a BE coming in 12 days on the truck. Really was squirming about black but closed my eyes and went with it. it was around 37k, so what the h... took delivery jan 3, so far so good.
Wow! That’s a helluva deal!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went through very similar thought process and “agonizing” over the purchase back in November/ December and like you once I was ready to pounce could find no -e left except for white ones and no thanks, just couldn’t do it. Looked over 5 states, nada but then a dealer 25 miles away contacted me they had a BE coming in 12 days on the truck. Really was squirming about black but closed my eyes and went with it. it was around 37k, so what the h... took delivery jan 3, so far so good.
You were able to get a brand new Black Edition for $37k? 2020? Heck, even a 2019 at that price would have been great.

Can anyone tell me if the 2020 RTL-E comes with mud flaps? It doesn't seem to in the pics I've seen, but there isn't a price listed for the accessory when building the truck on automobiles.honda.com Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
One more question: Does anyone have the bed extender? How does that work with the in-bed trunk? It would seem that they would get in the way of one-another.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks! Pacific Pewter is the color. I didn't want anything earthy or gray this time, but when I saw this one I thought it was sharp. My GTI and my wife's Outback are gray, and I didn't want another gray car. I think this color will hide the dirt well...lol.
Very nice color. If that had been available when I bought mine it is definitely the one I would have gotten.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Been thinking about a Honda OEM cover for my 2019 RTL, mainly because it's about the only one that doesn't require rails - really want to preserve full-width use of the bed.

How do you like yours? Is it doing OK on water leakage (pretty sure none are actually "watertight")? I believe they're fairly east to remove - have you done that by chance?

TIA
I've had the OEM bed cover for two years now. You will get some water intrusion during moderate to heavy downpours. I use a travel bag normally used for storing luggage on the car roofs to put any large items I want to keep dry (like duffel bags) during trips. For shorter trips around town, I use this Plano case, which fits under the tonneau with no issues. With the bag, the case and trunk, you have loads of dry and secure storage (assuming you put a lock on the tailgate, which I recommend if you get the OEM bed cover.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've had the OEM bed cover for two years now. You will get some water intrusion during moderate to heavy downpours. I use a travel bag normally used for storing luggage on the car roofs to put any large items I want to keep dry (like duffel bags) during trips. For shorter trips around town, I use this Plano case, which fits under the tonneau with no issues. With the bag, the case and trunk, you have loads of dry and secure storage (assuming you put a lock on the tailgate, which I recommend if you get the OEM bed cover.
Great info - thanks much. Guessing water's coming in through those little Ridgeline channels? Doesn't need rails to install, right? Have you ever taken it off?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great info - thanks much. Guessing water's coming in through those little Ridgeline channels? Doesn't need rails to install, right? Have you ever taken it off?
It comes in at the front of the bed and the hinge points, where there are breaks in the rubber seals.

No, you do not need rails. The cover rests on the plastic tops, and it's secured with hardware that replaces the upper tie down points.

I've taken it on and off by myself several times, but I recommend using another person, if possible, because it's an awkward load to carry, and you don't want to ding your truck.

One issue that I believe has been fixed is that the pads used to buffer the cover when it's folded up can create dents, and this happened to me. I would make sure that the one you buy has addressed this issue.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It comes in at the front of the bed and the hinge points, where there are breaks in the rubber seals.

No, you do not need rails. The cover rests on the plastic tops, and it's secured with hardware that replaces the upper tie down points.

I've taken it on and off by myself several times, but I recommend using another person, if possible, because it's an awkward load to carry, and you don't want to ding your truck.

One issue that I believe has been fixed is that the pads used to buffer the cover when it's folded up can create dents, and this happened to me. I would make sure that the one you buy has addressed this issue.
Thanks for detailing your experience - really helpful. Great point about getting the later model without the denting pads.

There are apparently some tonneaus out there that might be generally better - Peragon, Undercover Flex, Truxedo, etc. - but I'd hate to give up bed width, imagining trying to help family members/friends move furniture, for example, and not fitting it in due to rails. The love seat in the pic, for example, was a tight squeeze.

We have 4 married kids with their own homes, and I have the "family truck" (well, plus my son in law's G1, which I sold him cheap :)). Thinking of taking the RL on our family vaca and stashing their luggage and/or baby and beach gear under the cover. Would get the tailgate lock, as you suggested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice, congrats! I traded a 2015 GTI too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
congratulations on your new purchase. I can't seem to let go of my G1 06 yet? Too many good memories and too much great service. If I had to make one request and if I may ask, Is the ride any better than the original tight suspension on our first Generation? My G1 doesn't start getting comfortable until I have 500 lbs or more in the rear bed. I did install an aftermarket entertainment system, a Pioneer NEX4200, 2DIN, until myself. and still ended up purchasing the SiriusXM, which I don't regret. And I have over 100,000 miles over your first Gen RIdge, b4 you sold out. But, KOW,{ knock on wood}, Everything is going strong as ever as I've maintained all fluids to date and only replaced the radiator, fan motors, and regular maint. requirements as needed
But I'm ecstatic that you broke down and did it all over again. You won't regret it...Being younger has its advantages. Best wishes and get out there and enjoy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've noticed that the MSRP on some RTL-E's is $43,140 vs. some at $43,115. Does anyone know what the extra $25 is for? I can't find any accessories for $25.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Mine was 43,115 MSRP. Took my first road trip today and got about 24MPG including Seattle I5 traffic. Not bad.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This post is for @Nartpete. My posts in Actual Prices Paid keep getting deleted and I'm not sure where to pose this question. I see you bought a 2020 RTL-E as follows:

2020 rtl-e. Modern steal
$37826
+$199 doc fee
+$2269 sales tax

That is the lowest I've seen. Where did you get this deal?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
This post is for Nartpete. My posts in Actual Prices Paid keep getting deleted and I'm not sure where to pose this question. I see you bought a 2020 RTL-E as follows:

2020 rtl-e. Modern steal
$37826
+$199 doc fee
+$2269 sales tax

That is the lowest I've seen. Where did you get this deal?
That is insanely cheap. I paid close to 39k and feel like I got a fair deal.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts