Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a life long bourbon drinker since a freshman in college. I started out on Jim Bean & water and mostly drank that for a couple of decades. Before I retired, my large group of fellow professionals would get together each Winter and have a bourbon tasting and ranking. No spitting out this stuff during the taste test. All who attended brought a bottle of bourbon, some exceeding $100, most not. Blind taste testing only with numbered samples and participants rating the bourbon for color, aroma, initial taste, and finish. For the last several years I would bring Bulleit Frontier Bourbon and it ranked in the top three, beating out the high dollar stuff every time. So all this is to just establish my bonafides.

Recently I wanted a mixed drink but not the usual bourbon & water. All I had in my refrigerator was a bottle of Bulleit some tonic water and lemon juice. So, what the hell, I mixed up two oz. of Bulliet, 6.8 oz. of Fever-Tree Premium Indian Tonic Water and a splash of lemon juice. This stuff is good! I thought (in error) that I had discovered a "new" drink. Turns out that Bulliet bourbon, lemon & tonic water is already a thing called a BLT. https://www.bulleit.com/whiskey-drinks/blt/ . In case it's not apparent, I am having one (or two) as I write this.

Are there other bourbon drinkers on this forum and if not what is your preferred alcoholic beverage? FWIW, Chianti Classico is my preferred wine and I still have a healthy liver.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to be a Maker’s Mark guy, but have transitioned to a Bulleit Rye guy over the last several years. Bourbon just started tasting too sweet to me.

·
Administrator
13,382 Posts
Prior to a couple of years ago, I couldn't stand the taste or smell of whiskey or bourbon. Then, I started drinking Maker's Mark. Recently, I bought a bottle of 1792 that I think I like a little better. I'm not particularly choosy about which whiskey or bourbon I consume - it all tastes pretty much the same to me. I can certainly tell a whiskey from a vodka from a rum, but I'd probably choose random and inconsistent winners in blind taste tests of the same type of liquor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm no expert, but just know what I like.
Sweet for a hot summer afternoon = Wild Turkey 101 and sprite, double or triple shot and the whole can in a large tumbler. After an afternoon of yard work, I dig it.
One of my favorite sippers slightly chilled or neat = Blanton's. I have a hard time justifying it, but I do appreciate it. I usually don't push over $70 for a fifth. I can find things I enjoy for less.
Interesting Seneca mentions the Bulleit. I gave both the Frontier Whiskey and the Rye a try a couple years back and find myself coming back to the rye often, always neat. I can get a 1.5 quite reasonably at Costco, which makes it even better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm no expert, but just know what I like.
Sweet for a hot summer afternoon = Wild Turkey 101 and sprite, double or triple shot and the whole can in a large tumbler. After an afternoon of yard work, I dig it.
One of my favorite sippers slightly chilled or neat = Blanton's. I have a hard time justifying it, but I do appreciate it. I usually don't push over $70 for a fifth. I can find things I enjoy for less.
Interesting Seneca mentions the Bulleit. I gave both the Frontier Whiskey and the Rye a try a couple years back and find myself coming back to the rye often, always neat. I can get a 1.5 quite reasonably at Costco, which makes it even better.
You can’t go wrong with Bulleit at its price point. I just had something this weekend for the first time which was great, but at least twice as expensive. It was Colonel EH Taylor Straight Rye. I’d love to get a bottle as a gift, but won’t be springing for it myself. I’m a 80% of the value for 50% of the price kind of guy. :cool:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Makers Mark is my "go to" whiskey. I always have some on hand. For Christmas I received Knob Creek Single Barrel which I thought was really good. I also like the Bulleit Rye.
Currently working my way through a bottle of Templeton Rye (gift from my Iowa granddaughter) which is O.K. a little too sweet for me but drinkable. I suspect this was the stuff made in IL before they finally started making it "in house" in IA.
Also just cracked a bottle of "Panlolo Whiskey" my son picked up i Hawaii. Blended whiskey, pineapple notes, just alright.
And a I have a bottle of Buchanan's Select 15 Year Old scotch. I've never really liked any scotch, tried many of them (some in the very top tier) but just couldn't get to like them. This stuff I do like, go figure.
I don't have to buy much whiskey, most of this stuff is gifted to me. When I drink it, it's always neat, sometimes with a couple of ice cubes.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Gentleman Jack for the daily. Wild Turkey Longbranch is good. Woodford Reserve double oak I tried on a whim and it was very good.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I was mistaken. The Knob Creek is a small batch bottle @ 100 proof. I was thinking of the Booker's Single Barrel that was (if I remember right) 121 proof. That stuff only lasted 3 months! Great drink!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I enjoy a good bourbon now and then. I started out many years ago drinking Evan Williams as my go to bourbon with either 7up or Sprite. Since then I’ve experimented with several other bourbons. My go to for the last several years has been bourbon and water. Primarily the ones I like and enjoy are Angel’s Envy ( great when I can afford the cost), Eagle Rare and Woodford Reserve.
When I want a cheap bourbon that tastes good, I can get a bottle of Benchmark ( not bad for the price) or go for Very Old Barton and mix with club soda on the cheaper end.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I have been a beer drinker for most of my adult life. Through college, I'd mix some of the hard stuff as most kids of that age do. However, as I've gotten a few years on me, I've developed a taste for bourbon. I have several favorites. Angels Envy has been a favorite of mine for a long time now. It's a "real bourbon drinker's bourbon" as it's described. A little bitey, but FULL of flavor. I recently had Blanton's single barrel for the first time and I'm hooked. It's probably one of the best ones I've had in awhile. Finding a bottle of it is pretty difficult in PA, though, so I'm constantly looking for it. My go-to is Eagle Rare. I truly don't think there's a better value in bourbon. At under $30 a bottle, it beats many of the high-dollar bottles out there. Others that I like or love: Makers, Makers 46, Longbranch (in my decanter right now), Basil Haydens, Jeffersons 1796, Booker's, and Woodford Reserve. I don't care for bourbon neat at room temperature. I dress the glass with a 2" whiskey ice ball and pour about 1.5-2 oz. After a little melt, it's perfect. However, if I'm ever lucky enough to get my hands on a bottle of Pappy Vanwinkle, I will savor it with no ice in the glass.

I've dabbled in scotch a little bit, but usually only in the summer with a good cigar - Chivas Regal and JW blue label usually fit the bill. I also recently got into Hendrick's gin in making a cucumber collins. It's gin, a dash of simple syrup, lemon juice, muddled cucumber, and soda water on ice. It's the most refreshing drink I've ever had and plan to keep it as a summer staple.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
No expert, but I like Jim Beam Black with lots of ice and splash of Sprite. Also like to keep it in the freezer before I pour.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts