Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to change the brake fluid. What diameter tubing should I buy to attach to the bleed valves? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You should buy one of these:
I bought one and it's great. I just took the red cap off and the tubing made a perfect seal. It was fast and easy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,057 Posts
Bad link radtech. Try again please.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sorry it still works in the AutoGuide App, just not from a computer. Here it is again:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,057 Posts
Ok, that works on the PC now.

To the op, I used to know the tubing OD/ID for the bleeder screw, but have forgotten the size. Are you trying to do a solo brake job? If so, there are a number of options available. I've tried a couple of options with mixed results. It got the job done but I wasn't happy with the process.

Speed bleeders may be a good option to try.
http://www.speedbleeder.com/automobile_applications.htm#Honda

I tried pressure bleeding with the Motive Brake bleeder. Great idea, but I couldn't get a good seal on the master cylinder and leaked brake fluid like crazy, but it finally... and very messily... got the job done. Looking back, I probably tried to tighten down the universal cap too much and didn't get a good seal. Over at Honda-tech, some seem to have had great luck with this piece of kit.

I next tried to vacuum bleed using a MityVac, but had so much air leakage around the bleeder screw threads that it took a long time to get the job done.

Not sure how I'm going to do it next. If I could solve the cap seal issue with the Motive power bleeder, I'd go back to that in a heartbeat. Reading at Honda-Tech, it seems like the issue could have been with the operator (me) trying to tighten it too much using the chains and j-bolts. But I sold that after my experience and would have to buy it again, if I go back to that method.

Edit: here's a thread on the brake bleeding process... and some of my experiments. ;)
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43048

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
IIRC, I got 3' of 1/4" ID clear plastic tubing as well as 3/16" ID just to be sure. I do believe the proper size is 3/16".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1/4" ID / 3/8" OD tubing worked great. Only takes 20 minutes with a helper to pump the brakes and top off the reservoir.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
1/4" ID / 3/8" OD tubing worked great. Only takes 20 minutes with a helper to pump the brakes and top off the reservoir.
Just replaced my rear pads and bled the lines on my truck on Saturday. 1/4" ID is the size. My wife has gotten really good at being my brake bleeding helper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.