Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings, I've been a long time reader of this forum, but never posted before. Time to stop leeching and start contributing to the Ridgeline zeitgeist. Don't worry, this is not a rookie mistake. I haven't found this covered in another post.

I had a stuck piston in my rear caliper. I had watched a video by Eric the Car Guy on YouTube (he has fantastic videos if you haven't seen them) about rebuilding calipers, and it didn't seem that hard. Here's what I did: The rebuild kits are cheap, only $3.00 each, so I decided, why not do all of the calipers? I have to drain the brake fluid anyway, which had never been done. So, I bought 4 kits - 2 front & 2 back. (I also decided to replace my brake lines with steel braided from stoptech. This is an easy and inexpensive upgrade; http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...41-steel-braided-brake-lines.html#post2086681) Anyway, the back calipers go off without a hitch. Blow out the pistons with an air compressor, clean everything with brake cleaner and a brush, lube with brake fluid, insert the new square ring, put in the the new dust boot, and then add the piston. I recommend adding the dust boot before the piston, then using the compressor to blow out the boot around the piston before pushing it all the way in. This is the easiest way. As for the front calipers, this is why I'm writing this. DO NOT ATTEMPT. It's easy to take them apart, but the kit has a metal ring that fits around the edge of dust boot, and that is actually on the inside of the boot. It's hard to explain. I thought I had it correct, but if you can see the ring, then the boot is backwards. I have scoured the web (and this forum) for a way to put this thing in with no results. Maybe someone here knows how. Anyway, the front caliper dust boots seem impossible to get back together with laymen's tools. If you're in a pinch, they will work without the dust boot, but won't last long. I ended up having to buy two new calipers (re-manufactured) at $50 each. Shame on me for replacing things that didn't need it!

I plan to write about some of my other upgrades at some point: brake lines, stereo & subwoofer, bull bar, custom cold air intake

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Bummer man. But good job on giving it a shot. I cant quite understand what the problem was even from the parts diagram so IDK. never have had to rebuild them and I think everyone on here has just replaced them if need be. I have only rebuilt older gm calipers. Alot simpler.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,590 Posts
Cfog,

Have you already turned the front calipers in for "core" credit, because a picture or two would explain a lot.

Either way nice attempt, at the fronts and would love to see some of the work involved in the rears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did watch that video prior to my attempt, but the caliper he is working on in that video does not have the steel ring, at least as far as I can tell. I don't see it in the kit, and he doesn't mention it. It looks very similar to the rear calipers on the Ridgeline. Will get some pictures up soon....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey my fiance wants to know what size tool he needs for the caliper? He can't remember and is about to change it. Brake shop screwed us and ruined the caliper. Now it's sticking to the rotor sending vibrations to the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Do you realize that you are replying to a 3-year-old thread?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,590 Posts
Do you realize that you are replying to a 3-year-old thread?
DOUBTFUL
:)
Hey my fiance wants to know what size tool he needs for the caliper? He can't remember and is about to change it. Brake shop screwed us and ruined the caliper. Now it's sticking to the rotor sending vibrations to the steering wheel.
Off the top of my head, All metric, 10mm, 13mm, 17mm, but basically a full 8mm-19mm set should do it.

Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts