Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last year, I found some of the pads frozen, and filed the tabs, lubricated, reinstalled, and also removed and lubricated all the caliper slides. Just the other day, only a year later, I took the wheels off, and the passenger front bottom caliper was frozen in its tube. Had to whale it out with a locking plier. It was rusted up pretty well, after only a year. The top one was rusty a bit, but not frozen. Just for crazy, I removed all slides and relubricated them. The boots seemed absolutely intact and well seated. No other rust ot other caliper problems anywhere else around perimeter. What could be causing the rust and freezing of those slides? Is there water in the tube? If so, how do I get it out? What's up here?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So last year, I found some of the pads frozen, and filed the tabs, lubricated, reinstalled, and also removed and lubricated all the caliper slides. Just the other day, only a year later, I took the wheels off, and the passenger front bottom caliper was frozen in its tube. Had to whale it out with a locking plier. It was rusted up pretty well, after only a year. The top one was rusty a bit, but not frozen. Just for crazy, I removed all slides and relubricated them. The boots seemed absolutely intact and well seated. No other rust ot other caliper problems anywhere else around perimeter. What could be causing the rust and freezing of those slides? Is there water in the tube? If so, how do I get it out? What's up here?
Are the slides seizing up or are the pads rusting to the pistons? Either way - have they been submerged? Usually a good brake lube will resist a lot of water for a long time. I had a front caliper seize up but there was nearly zero rust, something just warped - needed a new caliper.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the case of the frozen pads, it's always the tabs kind of rusted to the calipers. I always file down the tabs until things move freely (perhaps for another year?). As for the caliper slides I'm talking about, last year, I completely removed them, regreased them, reassembled them, including perfectly seated boots, and this year, the pin wouldn't even move, as in I had to crank it out with twisted locking pliers. It was rusted inside and funked up, with no easily moving grease. Had to wire brush it to clean it up and regrease. Maybe I have some water in the passage? How would I get that out if so? I noticed that, for another one of the pins on the same caliper (that wasn't frozen, but had visible rust and funk on it), there seemed to be some yellowish orange coloring to the grease at the very tip, almost what I might expect if there were a teeny bit of water inside the passage at the very end of it. Can't imagine how water could've gotten in any of these, since the boots were, for the entire year, intact and perfectly seated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's funky. I woudn't think too much water would get in there with boots and a good layer of grease. Are you using a high-temp silicone grease? That's about the only thing else I could suggest. And use a lot of it -all over the tabs and touch points on the caliper.

I use a permatex 24115 brake lube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.