Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I just had a brake job done on all 4 wheels with new rotors and pads at 57K miles on my 2018 purchased new. The front end has been shaking when I brake. The technician told me the original pads looked great, but the rotors were bad with uneven ridges in them as if they were being dug into, or something? He also said there were only one of four clips (pic) installed on the pads from the factory. This kills me for a new vehicle.

20201117_120212.jpg

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have personally seen those clips get slightly crooked or probably wiggle out, then get dug into from the rotor when the pads get low, then when they become more then one piece they fall out, so that could have happened but ya never know.... On new and old cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
I just had a brake job done on all 4 wheels with new rotors and pads at 57K miles on my 2018 purchased new. The front end has been shaking when I brake. The technician told me the original pads looked great, but the rotors were bad with uneven ridges in them as if they were being dug into, or something? He also said there were only one of four clips (pic) installed on the pads from the factory. This kills me for a new vehicle.

View attachment 407414
I guess @zroger73 has been telling the truth about quality issues with Honda.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,198 Posts
Gen1s did not have these clips and I never noticed uneven wear on the pads or rotors. My Gen5 Odyssey has these clips as well, and believe it is intended to prevent binding and dragging of brakes, but I am not familiar as to what extent.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Umm, at the risk of appearing more stupid than I am, exactly where does that clip go? I've done multiple brake pad replacements on my vehicles and have never seen that clip pictured above. ???

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
Umm, at the risk of appearing more stupid than I am, exactly where does that clip go? I've done multiple brake pad replacements on my vehicles and have never seen that clip pictured above. ???
The ends slip into the hole on the outer edge of the brake pad. It is a drag reduction clip. The caliper then slips over that. One clip on each set of pads.

P1040223.JPG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gen1s did not have these clips and I never noticed uneven wear on the pads or rotors. My Gen5 Odyssey has these clips as well, and believe it is intended to prevent binding and dragging of brakes, but I am not familiar as to what extent.

That's exactly what they do, as mentioned in Honda literature about the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I feel your pain. My 2008's brakes failed the third day I owned it. Long short is the rotors were defective from the factory as it was explained to me by the tech rep. Got ugly when they tried to charge me around $380 for the repair …. on a brand new vehicle with less than 300 miles on it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I had the brake fluid replaced today. Its like I finally have descent brakes for the 1st time ever.

·
Registered
137 Posts
‘B‘ maintenance service requires brake system inspection. This requires disassembly of the calipers from the pad brackets to inspect pad wear, slide pins, etc. If you have had this service performed then that’s the most likely the cause of missing springs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, 1st time brakes came apart since new. But thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
‘B‘ maintenance service requires brake system inspection. This requires disassembly of the calipers from the pad brackets to inspect pad wear, slide pins, etc. If you have had this service performed then that’s the most likely the cause of missing springs.
In a perfect world that should’ve been done.

Most likely it was a tech with a flashlight and a brake pad depth gauge pencil style tool.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Those brake springs/clips became part of a recall with the second gen Acura TSX. Our rear brake pads were done by 5,000-15,000 miles off the lot. Uneven wear/fast wear. Turns out after the pads were upgraded and that clip introduce to keep the pads from sticking ...it was the calipers bolts that were installed backwards. Top (pin B) was installed on bottom and vise versa causing the calipers to stick...

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
The ends slip into the hole on the outer edge of the brake pad. It is a drag reduction clip. The caliper then slips over that. One clip on each set of pads.

View attachment 407419
Thanks. Those clips do not exist on any vehicle we have. Maybe the WRX has them, but I haven't been into the brakes on it yet. The PO put new pads on it, iirc.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
Thanks. Those clips do not exist on any vehicle we have. Maybe the WRX has them, but I haven't been into the brakes on it yet. The PO put new pads on it, iirc.
I am fairly certain our 1998 Toyota Camry had those clips.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
I dunno. I'm pretty sure I've looked at the pads on the 2009 Corolla. But maybe not since it had new pads just before we bought it several years ago. I know I've removed the lower guide pins and checked free play and have had to replace one of the lower guide pins. I've at least looked at the front of the pads to see how much meat is left on them. Maybe I just haven't noticed the top where the clip lives.

I know neither the 2006 Pilot nor the 2008 Ridgeline have the clips. I would have had to remove them in order to replace the pads.

·
Registered
360 Posts

View attachment 407414

View attachment 407419
Having done many brake jobs, simple pad replacements to full pad, caliper and disk or drum and piston, I don't see how the lack of those tension clips could have caused excessive scoring of the disks.

Premature wear, uneven wear, possibly drag and overheating and warping on extreme cases-could be possible.

It certainly seems like there is more at work causing these issues than just a clip missing. Especially since I have seen previously where those clips are simply to avoid incidental brake squeaking that causes returns to the shop to deal with and not actually mechanically necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Having done many brake jobs, simple pad replacements to full pad, caliper and disk or drum and piston, I don't see how the lack of those tension clips could have caused excessive scoring of the disks.

Premature wear, uneven wear, possibly drag and overheating and warping on extreme cases-could be possible.

It certainly seems like there is more at work causing these issues than just a clip missing. Especially since I have seen previously where those clips are simply to avoid incidental brake squeaking that causes returns to the shop to deal with and not actually mechanically necessary.
I read it as one of the spring clips may have been dislodged, and then got caught in the caliper, or between the disc and pads. That could have caused the scoring before the clip was ejected or burned up.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I read it as one of the spring clips may have been dislodged, and then got caught in the caliper, or between the disc and pads. That could have caused the scoring before the clip was ejected or burned up.
I think that’s a pretty big assumption personally-didn’t see or read anything remotely like that in OP’s post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts