Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be an owner soon and will be having the towing package added at the dealer. I understand that there is a plug under the dash available to simply plug in a brake controler, thus a do-it-yourself deal. Is this correct? There was a post here that hte dash needed to be removed to wire in the controler. What is correct? A plug in I can do, anything more and I'll have the dealer install the controler. Thanks all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The OEM towing kit has a subharness that you use to connect to the plug. The other end is 4 lose wire for you to hook up to the controller of your choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put a brake controller on my RL I did not need to remove any part of the dash. A 4-pin connector comes with the tow bar kit. This is to be wired to the brake controller and plugs in under the dash. The owners manual states: “A factory installed, 4-pin gray connector is located under the instrument panel near the top of the parking brake pedal” The connector is there and its pretty far up. I looked for about a half hour (and thought I was going blind) but I finally found it taped (blue tape) to another wire harness. You can make the connection, it’s not easy but it’s do-able.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
The dash panel gets pulled for installation of the hitch. My advice is to have your service department plug the brake assist unit in while they are installing the hitch. Ours did not charge us for adding and mounting the brake control when we tagged it on to the back up camera install.

We had already installed the hitch the previous week and the blue bundled wire was a minor pain to find and pull down. Frankly, I don't know how you'd get that wire down without the dash panel off. bluesportsman500 must be very limber. You have to have a bright light and a good reach. That part will be done with the hitch install. I was cussing at that point since we hadn't bought the brake assist unit yet. We could have added it that night. Pulling the dash panel is not difficult, it just takes a couple of minutes and some gentle prying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts