Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a RTL today and love it. Asked about the towing package, understanding it is the hitch and wiring harness. When I asked the salesman if the wiring included a hook-up for a brake controller, he said he would check with the service tech. Came back in 2 minutes and said the tech said they are not needed, that the brakes on the trailer are activated off of the 7pin plug. I don't believe he knows what he is talking about but didn't feel like questioning him about it today. Can anyone tell me for certain whether the wiring is all set under the dash for a controller or not? If so, what is required to install one? thanks all.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think it depends on what you're pulling. The plug is for electric brakes on the trailer, is my understanding. Other people on here have installed brake controllers -- did you do a search?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Came back in 2 minutes and said the tech said they are not needed, that the brakes on the trailer are activated off of the 7pin plug.
Part right, dead wrong. The brakes are activated through one of the wires on the 7-pin plug, but the activation and control must come from a brake controller. This is assuming that we are talking about electric trailer brakes, not surge brakes which need no wiring to activate. With the factory wiring harness there is a plug located somewhere above the parking brake for use with a brake controller. When I had my hitch installed, I brought the controller and had them hook up the wires.

·
Registered
459 Posts
An electric trailer brake needs a controller to adjust it. I have a prodigy elec. brake on mine. Its there to adjust your trailer brakes depending upon your load. If youre towing 3000 lbs or more you should get an electric brake. In most states its the law if you tow 3000 lbs or more. The RL does not come with an elec. brake.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Actually the towing weight laws vary some state by state. I believe in Utah it is only 1,000. We added the DrawTite electric brake unit to the right of the steering wheel. The wiring is in the dash, prewired, but you have to open the dash up to plug into it. The dash has to be opened to wire the hitch, so get your electric brake unit at the same time so you don't have to crack it open twice.

Use the search function and you will find a lot of information already written about the hitch installation and electric brake units. I think someone posted a link to the various state laws too.

My word of advice is to get a thin electric brake unit. There's not much space to mount them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Help - electrical problem

Installed a Tekonsha Primus and it comes with a 4 pin harness made for the Ridgeline. Now my car wont come out of park and the windows dont work. None of the fuses are blown in any of the 3 fuse boxes. Any ideas? I disconnected the controller harness but no improvement. What have I done???!

Can I tow this to the dealer if it's stuck in Park?:confused:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Read the owners manual and it will tell you how to get the RL out of park using the key after removing a small cover plate on top of the steering colum and pushing the key in a slot to release the shift lever,

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
None of the fuses are blown in any of the 3 fuse boxes. Any ideas?
You might want to recheck fuse #21 in the interior fuse box. It's a 7.5 amp fuse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the tip on getting it out of park. With that I was able to get it to the dealer to troubleshoot. I would have thought that Tekonsha would provide good working directions but upon looking at the manual for installing the honda oem hitch, there appears to be new fuses and relays required. I'm going to discuss this with a real hitch installer and see whether this HAS to be done by the dealer. Is there something about the honda brake control that is unique such that it requires so much extra electrical work than every other controller in the universe, nor is it just the car and EVERY brake controller requires all that stuff?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The factory towing harness includes some additional/uprated fuses. I installed it and the Prodigy myself 2 years ago and everything works great.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I'm going on a trip and there's no oem harnesses in stock in my area. I'm towing about 3000 lbs (my race car and a light trailer) all of 160 highway miles. Do I really need my brake controller this weekend? I'd much rather get one from Honda at this point than force the Tekonsha Primus to work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I installed the factory hitch/wiring harness/fuses/relays, etc, I too (being new to both trucks and trailers) thought a brake controller was not needed on this vehicle for electric brakes to work. I towed a 3200 lb camping trailer several hundred miles on the freeway, in busy traffic, and braking was noticeably poorer but still manageable. It was, in retrospect, a little dangerous and kinda stupid, but I survived. Shortly after that I had to replace both rear rotors.

I now have a Prodigy sitting on my shelf waiting to be popped in once the snow melts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello Guys new to the forum but experienced in towing. It strue laws vary state by state as to what weight requires electric brakes. I have haule dhorse cross country and yes that is heavier than our rl's can haul but the brake really com einto play for stop and go ( less wear an tear on vehicle components) Highway ( emergency manuevers) bad weather ( trailers will slide aka jack knife) It is an inexpensive piece of mind that you get used to real quick will learn that unless you have a BIG tow vehicle its not a good idea. I notice a diff with my pick ups when the trailers were about 2500 lbs or more. I have not hauled with a rl yet so I can't say what will be my comfor zone with it.

Just my $.02:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok... I have searched the threads and this one is as close as I can find...
Got 08 RL, put Curt Class III on it... about to buy 2150 lb pop-up camper. Dealer wants outrageous amount for brake controller and wiring? $350 for controler and $250 installation (to include wiring!) I thought the 08 had "light" wiring AND "brake" wiring allready in the harness, am I wrong?
What Brand / Model brake controller to buy??? Can I install it myself??
Help...
Wife wants to go to mountains on Memorial day.... I gotta get this done!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read the owners manual and yes you could do it yourself and yes you need it over 1000lbs and you need trailer brakes according to our manual. A highjer quality controller will be easier to install and locate. Call the brake conbtroller manufacturers directly to see what they say about installation. I may have missed something but it is there job to know and they usually are pretty helpful.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
What Brand / Model brake controller to buy??? Can I install it myself??
The most popular and one of the best brake controllers on the market is the Tekonsha Prodigy. You can install it yourself especially if you are a contortionist. :eek: The connector for the controller is not in a real convenient location. You should be able to buy the controller for under $100.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts