Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

Registered
2018 Touring (馃崄) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
If you have just the one trailer or don't mind moving the equipment between different trailers why not go the Bluetooth route!

I can see it now - "No officer, I wasn't using my smartphone, I was using my trailer brakes." >:)

Looking at controllers myself, but will probably go with Redarc for the compact permanent install. There seems to be an updated version available in Australia (v3), not in North America yet.

Registered
Going with the BT model myself. My 2019 RTL-E doesn鈥檛 have any available blank plates as they鈥檙e all filled up with buttons. Seems silly to have this ugly controller bumping up against my left knee for the occasional trailering we do a few times a year with our pop up camper. 95% of the time it鈥檚 our daily driver SUV.

Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
Going with the BT model myself. My 2019 RTL-E doesn鈥檛 have any available blank plates as they鈥檙e all filled up with buttons. Seems silly to have this ugly controller bumping up against my left knee for the occasional trailering we do a few times a year with our pop up camper. 95% of the time it鈥檚 our daily driver SUV.
For the Gen2 crowed, that's why I like where @wh500special installed his traditional style brake controller: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/33-racks-hitches-towing/2325-brake-controller-8.html#post2770129 It looks quite natural there and if you found a shorter version, it may look even better. Plus, it looks like it's in an easy spot to reach when you need to manually activate the brakes.

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
For the Gen2 crowed, that's why I like where @wh500special installed his traditional style brake controller: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/2770129-post71.html It looks quite natural there and if you found a shorter version, it may look even better. Plus, it looks like it's in an easy spot to reach when you need to manually activate the brakes.
Fixed that link for ya :wink:

Agree, that location which is similar that in my '05 F150 (relative to the driver / steering wheel) is functionally convenient.

Registered
Both links work (to each their own).
My apology - using yours (multiple times) brings me back to this page on my PC and the desired post isn't on this page with my display settings. Methinks using the permalink is more robust for all viewers.

Premium Member
My apology - using yours (multiple times) brings me back to this page on my PC and the desired post isn't on this page with my display settings. Methinks using the permalink is more robust for all viewers.
That has happened to others, particularly those who use Apple products to visit the site. Something for me to remember.

Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
IDK, @McChizzle or @G2 Prospect, I鈥檓 running an 2018 iPad and both links work fine. There鈥檚 some ongoing issues with this site, which may or may not be relevant. Additionally some issues could result from que鈥檚 having corrupted information.

G2 if you don鈥檛 mind, maybe clean the temporary internet files from the browser of choice, and try again, or maybe just try it again, and either start a new thread in this section unless it looks relevant to the SQL thread.

Registered
Another Redarc Install - G2 RTL-E

My G2 RTL-E has no unused 'switch blanks' and after looking at things the right-side location IMO gives me better visibility and access anyhoo (the Redarc has a multi-colored LED that shines through the knob-surround for indicating various status and trouble codes).

The main unit is zip-tied to the right side of the sturdy parking brake bracket, within easy reach for the Redarc harness spliced directly to the Honda controller pigtail (it can be mounted in any orientation but must be a 'solid/immovable' mount); the RJ45 cable to the Remote Controller Assy. is routed under-dash through a hole drilled in the back of the cubby where it is mounted.

I was able to pull a few trim panels and gain access to the back of the cubby using guidance from Honda Service Express (optional CD install instructions available from many sources also provide the info); I did drill the hole from the front after verifying clearance and access for cable-routing. I managed to do all it without needing to actually R&R any switches or disconnect any switch harness connectors, took maybe ~20 minutes of careful work start to finish, no problem, all back tight and squeak-free.

The Redarc TPSI-001 Universal Panel is used - it's a 'press-fit' in the front edge of the cubby, held securely with beads of RTV silicone along the back edges as is the 'side panel' inside the cubby (textured black poly cut from a Rubbermaid trash can). The uncolored molded (recessed) lettering on the Redarc panel is rendered white by wiping with acrylic artist paint.

I've been a Tekonsha Prodigy user since forever but very much liking the Redarc after brief test runs. Costs a bit more but for me worth it to gain the flexible and sanitary mounting options.

Attachments

Registered
But then I saw a video about the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. The LED is part of the control so only one hole to drill. The bezel surrounding the control is 20mm so it will fit in a blank switch panel without going past the edges. Just like the proportional sensor in the Compact IQ model their sensor can also mount in any position.
Thank you for all the details that you provided.

I have a 2006 G1 with 150K on it and I was also looking at the Reese Compact IQ for the "factory look" install. At that time, it appeared to be exactly what I was looking for. However, after reading some buyer reviews on distributor websites I came across feedback regarding the fragility of the knob assembly.

Then in watching at a Reese marketing YouTube video I noticed that when Gary Gardner, the Hayman Reese Technical Towing Expert, pushed the knob for manual override, the whole thing wobbled slightly. I could see it being the weak point in the link. The height of the nested dials also would create a protrusion into the cabin that could be susceptible to damage. These things as well as the look of the labels bothered me.

So I was back to digging...then I came across the Redarc unit...and liked what I saw. Your post cemented the relationship for me...so I ordered one a few moments ago. Looking forward to installing it.

Registered
HI... glad to be of help!

Another Redarc Install - G2 RTL-E

My G2 RTL-E has no unused 'switch blanks' and after looking at things the right-side location IMO gives me better visibility and access anyhoo (the Redarc has a multi-colored LED that shines through the knob-surround for indicating various status and trouble codes).

The main unit is zip-tied to the right side of the sturdy parking brake bracket, within easy reach for the Redarc harness spliced directly to the Honda controller pigtail (it can be mounted in any orientation but must be a 'solid/immovable' mount); the RJ45 cable to the Remote Controller Assy. is routed under-dash through a hole drilled in the back of the cubby where it is mounted.

I was able to pull a few trim panels and gain access to the back of the cubby using guidance from Honda Service Express (optional CD install instructions available from many sources also provide the info); I did drill the hole from the front after verifying clearance and access for cable-routing. I managed to do all it without needing to actually R&R any switches or disconnect any switch harness connectors, took maybe ~20 minutes of careful work start to finish, no problem, all back tight and squeak-free.

The Redarc TPSI-001 Universal Panel is used - it's a 'press-fit' in the front edge of the cubby, held securely with beads of RTV silicone along the back edges as is the 'side panel' inside the cubby (textured black poly cut from a Rubbermaid trash can). The uncolored molded (recessed) lettering on the Redarc panel is rendered white by wiping with acrylic artist paint.

I've been a Tekonsha Prodigy user since forever but very much liking the Redarc after brief test runs. Costs a bit more but for me worth it to gain the flexible and sanitary mounting options.
A very nice looking install.

Registered
Thank you for all the details that you provided.

I have a 2006 G1 with 150K on it and I was also looking at the Reese Compact IQ for the "factory look" install. At that time, it appeared to be exactly what I was looking for. However, after reading some buyer reviews on distributor websites I came across feedback regarding the fragility of the knob assembly.

Then in watching at a Reese marketing YouTube video I noticed that when Gary Gardner, the Hayman Reese Technical Towing Expert, pushed the knob for manual override, the whole thing wobbled slightly. I could see it being the weak point in the link. The height of the nested dials also would create a protrusion into the cabin that could be susceptible to damage. These things as well as the look of the labels bothered me.

So I was back to digging...then I came across the Redarc unit...and liked what I saw. Your post cemented the relationship for me...so I ordered one a few moments ago. Looking forward to installing it.
It came in and is now installed. I love the discreet look of it and it was a simple install.

Premium Member
It came in and is now installed. I love the discreet look of it and it was a simple install. View attachment 398168
Great job Vsilinin! I am curious, what other locations did you consider mounting the controller? I want to install the same brake controller on my 09 RTL but cannot make up my mind as to where best to mount it.

Registered
New Ridgeline owner here and I apologize to the the "use the search" people ahead of time for asking a question that's probably already been answered.

I want to add a brake controller and I see some went with the Reese Compact IQ and some with the Redarc. Both look fantastic, but the Redarc is a bit pricy...nearly double the cost of the Reese. What does the Redarc give me that the Reese doesn't. I will be installing it myself and I don't mind doing panel mods to make it look OEM. I used to install car stereos back in the day, so I have some experience doing custom mods.

Is the Redarc really twice as good as the Reese?

Premium Member
Good question Trackrider54. I wonder the same thing and would love to hear from owners of each to see what they think about their performance. Obviously, at least to me, the Reese Compact IQ takes up less space on the dash making it easier to fit nicely into one of the black switch covers on the dash of either the Gen1 and Gen2 Ridgeline.

Registered
Good question Trackrider54. I wonder the same thing and would love to hear from owners of each to see what they think about their performance. Obviously, at least to me, the Reese Compact IQ takes up less space on the dash making it easier to fit nicely into one of the black switch covers on the dash of either the Gen1 and Gen2 Ridgeline.
Luckily I don't have an immediate need for a controller, but I'd like to go ahead and buy one. I'm thinking the Reese might be the way to go since it's so much less expensive. I really like the neat install shown earlier in the thread. Drilling right next to the "Econ" button and applying the included lables. Looks almost stock.

Premium Member
Luckily I don't have an immediate need for a controller, but I'd like to go ahead and buy one. I'm thinking the Reese might be the way to go since it's so much less expensive. I really like the neat install shown earlier in the thread. Drilling right next to the "Econ" button and applying the included lables. Looks almost stock.
I have to correct myself. I meant to say, I like the RedArc Tow-Pro Elite due to how compact it is on the dash. Sorry about the confusion.

Registered
I have to correct myself. I meant to say, I like the RedArc Tow-Pro Elite due to how compact it is on the dash. Sorry about the confusion.
I decided to go with the Reese since it's substantially cheaper. Ordered it off Amazon. I like the LED separate from the control. I can mount the LED in a more visible location and the control lower in the dash.

I don't have anything to tow at the moment, but last time I had a truck it had a built in trailer brake controller. I was seemingly always being asked if I could tow a trailer somewhere. Church, band, friend moving...whatever. Figure I might as well be prepared.

Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
I installed a Tekonsha P3 (took it out of my other tow vehicle) with the Tekonsha patch cable for the Ridgeline ordered off Amazon.

The install was simple and then I mounted the unit to the right of the steering column.

Will be using it to tow our new Airstream soon!

81 - 100 of 129 Posts