Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

I just completed a great 7000 mile trip towing my Aliner A frame camper (1800 pounds with electric brakes) from Maryland to Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico and back. Had a good experience, anyone interested in details, I have a trip report available.

About 2/3 through the trip, I noticed a shake in the front end while braking, sure sign of problem with disk brakes. Found a dealer in Tucson, Az, and he diagnosed scored rotors. Took about 4 hours to do a turning of the rotors on the vehicle, and he did it under warranty. Very nice service people there.

I thought I had been very carefull with braking in the mountain driving that I had been doing. Made use of transmission downshifts on hills, and have electric brakes on the trailer, which under 2000 pounds, may not even need them. Didn't think I was riding the brakes, but there you go, the disks were scored, no doubt from the towing.

So I increased the trailer brakes using the prodogy controller, and took extra care on steep hills.

Any comments on this ocurrence? Also the computer accelerated the oil change dramatically, dropping from 40% to 15% in less then a week of towing. Found another dealer in ABQ who did oil change in 20 mins, for less then Jiffy Lube. Wish my home dealer was that reasonable!

Thanks, Jerry

PS: Overall MPG 16.1

·
Registered
930 Posts
You should try putting the truck in D3 on downhill driving - hit the button on the end of the shifter. Possibly slotted and drilled rotors may help run the brakes cooler, but with your trailer brakes (on the trailer) and truck in D3 hopefully enough to solve your issue. In addition, have the pins on the calipers lubricated just to be sure they are not sticking and causing the brakes to rubs and wear prematurely.

RidgeLI

·
Registered
648 Posts
You should try putting the truck in D3 on downhill driving - hit the button on the end of the shifter. Possibly slotted and drilled rotors may help run the brakes cooler, but with your trailer brakes (on the trailer) and truck in D3 hopefully enough to solve your issue. In addition, have the pins on the calipers lubricated just to be sure they are not sticking and causing the brakes to rubs and wear prematurely.

RidgeLI
You are right, I tow a TT which weighs right around 4000#, got just over 65k and developed a slight vibration from the right rear when braking. My favorite mechanic took a look and said I had 40% left on the pads and a slight score on the right rear rotor probably due to a lack of lube on the pin. Had the rotors turned and premium pads installed. I do a lot of mountain towing and use the D3 button and Prodigy braking feature.;)

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
+1 on the responses. I too tow our 4000-lbs camper and have 69000 on our four year old RL. I’m typically lazy and simply glance between the spokes to check for remaining pad material but was fooled when I pulled the driver side rear wheel to find both slide pins bone dry and had caused the inside pad to wear faster than the outside pad. I changed them just in time as there was only a 1/16 of material left on the inside pad. I mounted my mag-base indicator to check for run-out but was pleasantly surprised to find they ran .0015-TIR. I will upgrade to gold cad plated EBC rotors after the holidays. D3 on the downhill and a properly adjusted Prodigy is a real saver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas. I did use D3 extensively, but perhaps was also riding the brakes some instead of hitting them and then backing off on those long down hill runs. Also the tip on lubing the pins is one I will look into.

Jerry

·
Registered
230 Posts
Same problem. I've accepted and planned for a complete brake rotor and pad R&R following every race season as being inevitable. I chased my tail early on thinking it was a wheel balance issue before figuring out it was warped rotors. I tow at the weight limits, at the interstate speed limit, inthe mountains, for many miles each season. All those suggestions don't make any difference for me. I only get 10 mpg if that's any indication.

One thing to watch out for in this regard is it seems that almost every shop I've had work at that requires removing the wheels overtighten the lug nuts. I've watched them put a torque wrench on the nuts and it immediately clicks without moving. To them this is good enough i.e. it won't come loose, but if the nut doesnt turn before the proper torque is reached then it's overtightened. This is a guaranteed way to warp your brake rotors under stress. They let just about any numnut pose as a mechanic it seems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same warped rotor issue on my 05 pilot, just turned 61000 on the odometer. I think the wife rides the brakes in town. The 07 RTX I just bought seems to be pretty sound so far. It only had 27000 on it when I got it though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi-

I just completed a great 7000 mile trip towing my Aliner A frame camper (1800 pounds with electric brakes) from Maryland to Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico and back. Had a good experience, anyone interested in details, I have a trip report available.

About 2/3 through the trip, I noticed a shake in the front end while braking, sure sign of problem with disk brakes. Found a dealer in Tucson, Az, and he diagnosed scored rotors. Took about 4 hours to do a turning of the rotors on the vehicle, and he did it under warranty. Very nice service people there.

I thought I had been very carefull with braking in the mountain driving that I had been doing. Made use of transmission downshifts on hills, and have electric brakes on the trailer, which under 2000 pounds, may not even need them. Didn't think I was riding the brakes, but there you go, the disks were scored, no doubt from the towing.

So I increased the trailer brakes using the prodogy controller, and took extra care on steep hills.

Any comments on this ocurrence? Also the computer accelerated the oil change dramatically, dropping from 40% to 15% in less then a week of towing. Found another dealer in ABQ who did oil change in 20 mins, for less then Jiffy Lube. Wish my home dealer was that reasonable!

Thanks, Jerry

PS: Overall MPG 16.1
Just bought a 2020 Aliner Expedition and have not had it out yet -- only drove it home from RV dealer and towed with my 2017 Ridgeline. Was glad to see you included the overall MPG for your trip. Stumbled across your post looking for info/experience of other 2G Ridgeline owners regarding how many miles they are getting on their brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts