Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. It's in great shape. However I'm having an issue with the brakes. Has a squishy brake pedal. Took it in and had the brakes bled. Was good for about a week. Had them bled again. Same result. Have now replace the master brake cylinder. Was good for about two weeks. Having same issue.Have been told it could be the ABS control module actuator.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
KMS20

· Registered
223 Posts
How mushy? This is a common complaint with the ridgeline, there may be nothing wrong with your truck?

Reactions: wjfyfe

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,897 Posts
@KMS20, What are you comparing your brake “mushiness to”. Previous vehicles (please be specific). Unfortunately I may have suggested that the ABS before the master cylinder, as I’ve seen it posted before. You could search this section of the site for both, and get results. Also who bled the brakes (Honda’s sequence is different) than other mfgs from my previous experience

Reactions: wjfyfe

· Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. It's in great shape. However I'm having an issue with the brakes. Has a squishy brake pedal. Took it in and had the brakes bled. Was good for about a week. Had them bled again. Same result. Have now replace the master brake cylinder. Was good for about two weeks. Having same issue.Have been told it could be the ABS control module actuator. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks KMS20
That’s normal. My 2012 is the same. Had new master cylinder put on . It helped, but still a little soft. Drive it.

· Registered
138K miles 2006 Honda Ridgeline, Reese Hitch, Full size spare, All Season Cooper ex load tires
21 Posts
Just purchased a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. It's in great shape. However I'm having an issue with the brakes. Has a squishy brake pedal. Took it in and had the brakes bled. Was good for about a week. Had them bled again. Same result. Have now replace the master brake cylinder. Was good for about two weeks. Having same issue.Have been told it could be the ABS control module actuator.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
KMS20
Hello, as others have mentioned "squishy", spongy" etc. is open to interpretation. What specifically is occurring that feels different from before, after and then a week after you drove it as far as the brakes feel? Does the brake pedal sink as you brake or once you have stopped? Do the brakes grab harder then after a couple of weeks does it take more effort? Are you going to the dealer or a private mechanic?
There is a definitely a different brake bleeding sequence and it must be followed because of the ABS system. Make sure they started at the front left (driver's) wheel then going clockwise. The next would be the front right (passenger) wheel, right rear wheel and last would be the left rear wheel. Also have the system checked with a scanner. See if any codes are being thrown. Do not change the ABS unit without first knowing if it is putting out any codes.
If you have a private shop doing the work you may want to take it to the Honda dealer before letting a private shop tell you it is a ABS unit unless they do a lot of Honda's. Test them, ask them which wheel they bled first. Old school shade tree mechanics as myself would assume it would be the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. One thing I have learned working on newer cars is you need to have a shop manual with cars you are not familiar as the old rules just don't apply. Good luck and safe driving!

Copied from my factory manual. Edited for space.

BLEEDING SEQUENCE:

Front Left

Front Right

Rear Right

Rear Left

· Registered
2014 Sport
4,400 Posts
I have bled (vacuum, vacuum assited with compressed air, 2 person method) the brakes in my 2014 Ridgeline until I was blue in the face and I used the proper sequence. This was after an MDX front brake upgrade so calipers had come off. After that the brakes still felt like there was air in them. I took my Ridge to a shop that uses a BG power brake flush system and after the process the pedal was nice and firm. I don't know if they have the ability to cycle the abs valves or not. From my own experience getting all the air out of the is not very easy and the $ to a shop with a machine like the the BG was worth it.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,897 Posts
I have bled (vacuum, vacuum assited with compressed air, 2 person method) the brakes in my 2014 Ridgeline until I was blue in the face and I used the proper sequence. This was after an MDX front brake upgrade so calipers had come off. After that the brakes still felt like there was air in them. I took my Ridge to a shop that uses a BG power brake flush system and after the process the pedal was nice and firm. I don't know if they have the ability to cycle the abs valves or not. From my own experience getting all the air out of the is not very easy and the $ to a shop with a machine like the the BG was worth it.
Home - BG Find A Shop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts