Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 RTL with 39,000 miles on it and experienced a complete failure of the left front steel braided brake line.

I pushed the braked to stop and heard what sounded like a cherry bomb and the peddle went to the floor and the car would not stop. I used the emergency brake to come to a stop. I opend the hood and could see a steady stream of brake fluid coming from the brake line near where it attaches to the master cylinder.

I had the car towed to the dealer where I puchased my RTL and they made the following repairs and covered it all under warranty.

1. replaced both front brake lines
2. replaced the master cylinder
3 provided a rental car free of charge for 1 week while I waited on parts and service.
4. paid for the tow

They said the cause was that the brake lines had rusted through. ( I live in FL and do drive on the beach). Those of you where the roads are salted in winter, may want to have your lines inspected.

I'd like to thank my dealer, Kuhn Honda of Tampa, for the outstanding service that will keep me buying Honda cars and trucks!

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I have a 2007 RTL with 39,000 miles on it and experienced a complete failure of the left front steel braided brake line.

I pushed the braked to stop and heard what sounded like a cherry bomb and the peddle went to the floor and the car would not stop. I used the emergency brake to come to a stop. I opend the hood and could see a steady stream of brake fluid coming from the brake line near where it attaches to the master cylinder.

I had the car towed to the dealer where I puchased my RTL and they made the following repairs and covered it all under warranty.

1. replaced both front brake lines
2. replaced the master cylinder
3 provided a rental car free of charge for 1 week while I waited on parts and service.
4. paid for the tow

They said the cause was that the brake lines had rusted through. ( I live in FL and do drive on the beach). Those of you where the roads are salted in winter, may want to have your lines inspected.

I'd like to thank my dealer, Kuhn Honda of Tampa, for the outstanding service that will keep me buying Honda cars and trucks!
Even a complete failure of one brake line will not result in total brake failure. The failure of a line on the front will not diminish rear braking performance (and vice-versa).

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
Even a complete failure of one brake line will not result in total brake failure. The failure of a line on the front will not diminish rear braking performance (and vice-versa).
Joe,

Exactly how do you reconcile your statement with the OP's stated experience?

Unless I misunderstand your statement, you're saying that what the OP reported cannot happen.

???

·
Registered
188 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...i have an 07 i need as much info on this as poss. i drive my 4week old son in my rl. this is very unsettling to hear about. does anyone know of this happening b4

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I think there is more to the story than what has been presented to us to worry whether or not ever ridgeline is going to blow a brake hose. Maybe this truck was a victim of the hurricanes down there, maybe the sand wore through the lines, there are a lot of variables to figure before worrying about the vehicles safety. There are too many RLs on the road and have been for several years with no issues. This is the first one I have heard of which does not make it cause for concern. But in the event this does happen give yourself plenty or room to maneuver the vehicle safely off the road and gently ride the emergency brake down till you stop. Then call a tow truck immediately afterwords.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Joe,

Unless I misunderstand your statement, you're saying that what the OP reported cannot happen.

???
Not in the manner that was reported. It is possible if other components failed at the same time.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...i have an 07 i need as much info on this as poss. i drive my 4week old son in my rl. this is very unsettling to hear about. does anyone know of this happening b4
Relax, one report out of how many Ridgeline's on the road?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I would suspect that the Master Cylinder had a total failure - that could cause no braking, but the ABS should keep at least 1/2 of the wheels braking if only a brake line failed.

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
Relax, one report out of how many Ridgeline's on the road?
Yep. And let's not forget the RL that dropped a driveshaft while cruising down the road!

The sky is falling!

:act024:

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
Their was some more to that story !!!!;act028:
Did we ever get the full story on that driveshaft problem? I don't recall.

·
Registered
188 Posts
yeah i hear you...just a little skittish with new baby is all. i do feel my rl is safe as possibly can be.

·
Registered
43 Posts
food for thought: have any of you changed you brakes, say just front or rear, and forgot to pump them before putting the vehicle in gear? well i have. so has another tech i work with who put a fairly new element through the shop wall. my point? i see that there is doubt about a hose busting that you would lose all your brakes. hmmm. i have never busted a brake line thank god, but i feel pretty confident in saying your not gonna have any brakes if a line burst. think about it. if it were true, the guy who went through the wall would have been able to stop if he have 1/2 brakes as someone stated. also have you ever bled brakes? does the pedal not go to the floor when you crack the line? do you think you have any pressure on and of the other calipers with that line open? No, you dont. I rest my case. if you can prove otherwise, i'm all ears! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
o and if you dont beleive me, pick all 4 wheels off the ground, take one wheel off and crack the line. put it in drive and see if any wheels stop.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Joe,

???
What I'd say is that dual reservoir master cylinders have been required by federal law for about 40 years, and are designed to prevent such failures.

Perhaps the pedal felt like it went to the floor, but it probably only went further than normal. Had the driver kept pushing he/she would have had partial brake function which would have been far superior to the "emergency" brake which is actually a parking brake with very limited stopping power (it does not actuate the primary rear brakes).

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I need to post a correction.

The Ridgeline does not use separate front and rear hydraulic systems it uses a diagonal system. The front left and right rear are on one hydraulic circuit and the right front and left rear on a separate circuit.

So the failure of the left front hydraulic brake line would not cause a failure of the right front or left rear brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
I'm going to call "Troll" on this one. This is the OP's first and so far only post, his name "PUNK FU" and the fact that Honda Ridgeline's don't come with Steel Braided brake lines....at least mine didn't. This, along with information that what was described could not have happened....it's time to send this to the showers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Rusty: Its possible... always possible...

However,
I opend the hood and could see a steady stream of brake fluid coming from the brake line near where it attaches to the master cylinder.
He wasn't talking about the brake hose where it attaches to the caliper....

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Rusty: Its possible... always possible...

However,

He wasn't talking about the brake hose where it attaches to the caliper....
My mistake on that, but I still call "Troll"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts