Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got in my truck yesterday, temp in the lower 30's. cranked it up and as i was applying the break, the pressure cause a "hollow, echoing" sound each time i pressed the brake pedal. I was careful to make sure it didn't effect my braking ability, which it did not. So i drove off and after warmed up in cab about 10 miles later, the brake pressure did not make the sound. got in it this am and temp in lower 40s upper 30's, it makes the sound. Well, what do ya think out there????:eek: :(

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was in sub-zero temps last week and near freezing this week and can't say that I have heard that noise (fingers crossed).

Just curious how many miles you have on your RL?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mayfielh said:
I was in sub-zero temps last week and near freezing this week and can't say that I have heard that noise (fingers crossed).

Just curious how many miles you have on your RL?
I have 15,500 miles. this really bothers me because its one of those things im afraid the dealer won't detect.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
jeffiam said:
I have 15,500 miles. this really bothers me because its one of those things im afraid the dealer won't detect.
Wow jeffiam, We only have 6800 miles on ours and just a very faint whistle from the rear window @ 40mph. We don't get much rain so I don't know if ours leaks and it never gets that cold here either. Hope you get this fixed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Same thing here, like a "creaking noise" -similiar to the noise my girlfirends clutch makes in her Element. Goes away when warmed up. 421 miles

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its as capeman and trizzane both describe.................creaking, hollow sound in the brake pedal until the cab warms up. wierd. i dropped off today and they gave me an automatic element..........as i drove off the cab was still cold as it was early, and the brake pedal in it DID THE SAME THING. But i think this is not acceptable because there should not be a difference in operation/it should not be temp. sensitive. it sounds like a pc of junk when it does it.......like my old chevy pickup back in 84.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Trizzane said:
Same thing here, like a "creaking noise" -similiar to the noise my girlfirends clutch makes in her Element. Goes away when warmed up. 421 miles
I had to read your post twice. The 1st time I read it I thought you said "similar to the noise my girlfriend makes. Goes away when warmed up" :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
AHAHAH - My god - I sure hope the RL doesn't start making that noise. It was very embarassing when the neighbors called the cops last time ! :D Anyway - this happens when I'm not moving at all, just as I get in to start it up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I haven't noticed this noise at all. I have driven in tempertures as low as 7 according to the internal display. Although in really cold temps it isn't unusual for a car to have some creaking.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Brake Pedal Makes "Gurgling" Noise

Well ... I did a search on "Brake Pedal Noise" and this old Thread discribes my problem.

This is my 2nd winter with the RL @ 26,000 miles and this problem just started this week with the return of cold weather (10F - 30F).
The RL needs to be completely cold for the condition to occur ... 2 hours in 10F weather with winds blowing is not adequate. Whereas, 6 hours in an open garage at 10F will be adequate.

The symptoms are the same ...
When the RL is completely cold the brake pedal makes a "gurgling" noise (like drawing air & water thru a straw). After ~5 minutes driving the noise is gone. Braking is not affected. The noise even occurs with the engine off, and occurs on the down & up stroke of the pedal.
My wife says the noise sounds like a hollow tube that needs lubrication.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Since there are so few Posts on this Thread it appears this issue is another uncommon problem. I can invision myself taking the time off to seek warranty service, and having the Dealer say they don't hear any noise.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Since there are so few Posts on this Thread it appears this issue is another uncommon problem. I can invision myself taking the time off to seek warranty service, and having the Dealer say they don't hear any noise.
Be prepared to drop the truck off and have it sit overnight in their lot to be able to simulate your "6 hours sitting in cold" condition. With these kind of "sound goes away after warm up" issues, it is essential that you be there the following morning to ensure the test is done in the proper controlled situation or you definitely will end up with an "we cannot simulate your problem" response. This is the same thing we old timers had to do when the manual chokes used to hang up on our carburtators, had to leave it at the garage overnight and have the mechanic see what it did with first turn over.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The problem lies with the return spring on the brake pedal which is covered with a rubber-like plastic sheathing. In sub-zero temps, the sheathing contracts and doesn't move freely with the stretching spring and causes a slight resistance and subsequent "boing". I've sprayed silicon lubricant onto the spring while the pedal was fully depressed with the spring in its stretched state and the noise has disappeared forever.

See item no.7 below:

7346530-SJC-A81007 SPRING ASSY., PEDAL RETURN

·
Registered
104 Posts
Brake Pedal Makes "Gurgling" Noise

Andy-Montreal ...
The problem lies with the return spring on the brake pedal which is covered with a rubber-like plastic sheathing (Refer to Part #7). In sub-zero temps, the sheathing contracts and doesn't move freely with the stretching spring and causes a slight resistance and subsequent noise.

I tried your solution over the weekend ... Sprayed silicon lubricant onto the spring while the pedal was fully depressed with the spring in its stretched state.
The noise has disappeared ... :).

Thank you for the diagram and help with this problem.

This saved me the task of taking the time off to seek warranty service, and either having the Dealer say they don't hear any noise or leaving the RL at the Dealer for the day/night for investigation.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Thanks Andy!! I just noticed the noise this morning and was going to do a search and BAM!! Here it was. I'll lubricate the spring tonight and see what happens. I certain it will silence it.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Having gotten my Ridge into some colder than normal temps this weekend (low 20s), I noticed the "boing." It was reassuring to have already read this thread & I thought "normal Ridgeline sound."

I'm getting some silicon spray lube today for this & to do the rear window gasket fix.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well I have 5600 miles on the truck and the last two nights (temps below 15f) I've had the same noise.

After it stops snowing I'll be out to the truck with the silicone spray.

Thanks all

1 - 20 of 23 Posts