Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Brake pieces - shims

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  packhntr 
#1 ·
Good morning all! Just had to change my rear pads last night (managed to do it one handed....cast on right wrist). The pads wore out prematurely and unevenly. I discovered that the spring steel "clips" or shims that go between the pad and the bracket were severely corroded, bent and one broke. This is preventing the pads from disengaging properly. Does anyone know where I can get replacements? Can't seem to find anything online. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I know that if you get the OEM pads they come with them.

I believe that Autozone, or Napa have them online. Probably special order in the store, I'd order them online, if they have a good picture of them

#3 · (Edited)
Many of the better pad sets you can buy (either at your local parts store or on-line) come with them. I suggest you buy your next set now & take the 'clips' of of them to install on your existing pads. Then reuse them again when you change next time. They are fine to use more than once.

EDIT: ... and I should have mentioned; I'm guessing you did not clean & lube the caliper slides & pins (given your 1-handed constraints). This is not good, given the uneven wear, etc. It's "possible" the bad clips caused your wear problems, but it's also possible (probable in my mind) that you had "smooth closure" issues due to lack of slide & pin lubrication, which ultimately took it's toll not only on your pads (uneven wear), but also your clips.
If you did not lube these areas, I suggest you go back & do so, or you will be facing the same wear issues (& likely braking performance degradation) all over again. And the sooner the better, because your pads are probably already starting a bad wear pattern.
So get you some new pads, commandeer the clips & get back in there to lube & replace the clips. You'll be glad you did.

Oh BTW.... if you DID already clean & lube, then reel me back in & watch me bow down to admire your 1-armed determination! :)

#4 ·
Actually, I did clean them as well as they could be...Michigan salt just ate them up to bad....and re-lubed them. It's just that they are so bad that they will end up causing the problem once again. This is the third set of pads I have done (2 for the front) and none have ever come with the clips. Wonder if I can get them from the dealer???

#6 ·
Go down to Autozone (or your local shop) ask to see the pad they have to choose from (cheapos thru most expensive). I'm betting you'll find a set that comes with the clips. You've probably been getting the best price pads previously (one reason they cost less is the absence of clips.... some are exactly the same pads with or without clips, offered by the same company but labeled as "standard" vs. "deluxe" or words of that kind).
Then you can either buy on the spot, or at least be aware of which model "name" comes with the clips so you can order on line if you must.

Your on-line info should indicate if the do or don't come with clips, but the most sure-fire way to know you'll get them is to make the trip to the parts store.

And yes, you can probably get them from the dealer, but unless you're really short cash, you're going to get a much better deal buying your next set of pads now with the clips to 'steal' for your current pads.

And if you really have that much corrosion, you might want to have a professional go thru your brakes to clean & lube. I'm not encouraged by your description of your DIY process. Did you actually pull the pins (they screw in) to lube them. If you have corrosion inside this pin/cylinder area, you really need to get new calipers, IMO.
You might also want to check out some YouTube videos on pad replacement... after the tire's off, you really only need to remove one screw to get to your pads iirc, and then a little more work to check your slide pins of course. (what are you doing with the screw-driver & pliers ??)

#5 ·
OH....forgot to mention...I didn't use any power tools....and only the OEM craptastic jack the truck came with. 2' long 1/2" drive breaker bar, 22mm impact socket, 12mm combination wrench, hammer, flat head screwdriver and a set of slip jaw pliers.

#7 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.