Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really post here but I use this site all the time for the vast amount of info. While I have found some good info related to my issue, the way it came about has me stumped and I can't find any posts that address the issue my 2007 RTL has right now.
I am in Virginia and we just had snow. The truck performed great in the snow.
Today I rolled into the local DIY car wash (typical spray wand) to blast off the "after-snow" dirt. I sprayed the inside of the wheel wells and a little of the undercarriage. Almost immediately after rolling out of the wash I noticed that my brakes felt like they were sticking; slowing down quicker than usual when letting off brakes and I could damn near let completely off the brakes at idle and the truck wouldn't move until I hit the gas. Then, a little bit down the road that stopped....but was followed up by a really long travel, mushy pedal feeling that lacked any bite (Less observant drivers would have been in a wreck for sure). In the past, the dash light for the brakes (low fluid, etc) would light up to let me know somethings going on. This time there was no brake warning indicator at all (I was paying close attention). I have since driven the truck around about 50 miles thinking that maybe the water caused the brakes to stick and that, in turn, somehow contributed to the mushy feeling. No dice...the truck still has a horribly long, mushy feel and only about 20% of normal stopping power. During driving, I can get it to act normal if I sort of "pump" the brake fast but as soon as I try to ease into it (like you would normally use the brakes) the mushy long travel comes back.
I have read threads where people attributed similar issues to malfunctions in the VSA and ABS systems but those people also reported getting warning indicator lights whereas I am not getting any lights what so ever. My truck is bone stock. Also...all of the warning lights DO work
I would really appreciate any help pinpointing what is going on because I have also read where the dealer just starts swapping stuff until they figure it out and I would rather not go this route as I am not made of money but I am an hvac technician with tools and I can do the work, I just don't have that much experience troubleshooting automobiles that have all these complicated systems.

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
My G1 feels the exact opposite when I come out of the wash. It usually feels much stronger. I would say go into one of those automatic car-wash that rolls your vehicle through. Get a Full service (top of the line) wash with underbody wash and see if the problem persists. Salt has a funny way of doing a lot of crazy things. You may have some faulty readings coming from the wheel speed sensors. If the problem persists, take it to a reputable shop and get their opinion. Check the life on your rotors and pads (rears go out before the fronts) thanks to the rear-biased braking on our G1s.

My '10, feels like mushy at first when I depress the pedal, but the fluid was flushed and replaced March of last year when I had the stainless steel lines put in. I would contribute it to the caliper-piston seals going bad (probably). I have about 205K miles on the truck and drive around 26K miles a year. Lot of mixed driving. Though I have slotted and drilled rotors with heavy duty pads, the medal feel is how it has been since 2011. It is not as grabby as my '16 Civic or the '16 Colorado (4-piston calipers). I had my fluid tested (litmus test) and they are perfectly fine and no contaminants in the fluid.

Registered
I wash my gen1 all the time with car wash spray wand and really spray brake calipers well due to ny salt -suggest you go back to car wash and spray out calipers through wheel spokes really well -thinking you have gotten some dirt/salt in pad area during first wash -I do it all the time with no issues.Good luck and please report back on results.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick responses! I am going to try and spray that area in an attempt to blast any obstructions like recommended to see if that helps. Of course its raining its ass off today :(

Registered
2014 Sport
I think it is likely that one or more of your cailpers are not floating freely. The brake calipers ride on pins that are mounted to the hanger bracket. The Ridgeline frequently has issues with the movement of the calipers on the these pins. Time and corrosives "freeze" them up. The result is poor braking performance and a mushy pedal feel (calipers can't auto-position themselves and the added travel before the pads are pressed tight to the rotor makes the pedal travel more / feel mushy).

If this is your issue, no amount of washing is going to fix. Take the cheap and easy step first but most likely you will need your brakes looked an the caliper pins cleaned and regreased.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts