Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, related but unrelated to the Ridgeline.

My wife has an HRV that the dealer told us needs brakes all around. They quoted dealer prices, of course.

You guys gave AMAZING advice on sending me to Discount Tire for my Ridgeline's new tires. So are there any chains you guys trust over others to do brakes.

I do NOT like Firestone, fyi.

What brake places do you RL folks suggest?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This is in the wrong section of the forum. The vehicle in question is not a Ridgeline.

There aren't any advantages, imo, to going to aftermarket brake pads, etc, on that vehicle. Take it to the dealer. The rotors need to be checked also.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is in the wrong section of the forum. The vehicle in question is not a Ridgeline.

There aren't any advantages, imo, to going to aftermarket brake pads, etc, on that vehicle. Take it to the dealer. The rotors need to be checked also.
Its less about the vehicle and MORE about the vendor many folks choose.

Discount Tire is agnostic to the make and model of the car.

I am simply looking to see if there are preferred vendors outside of the Dealership that everyone raves about.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, i have no idea what section it belongs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,019 Posts
IIRC @Denicio your in Memphis, TN?

Not exactly the correct location, but I'll call it a better location.

Moderator Note: Thread Moved

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Does that same Discount Tire dealer do brake jobs?
Nope, just tires and rims.

IIRC @Denicio your in Memphis, TN?

Not exactly the correct location, but I'll call it a better location.

Moderator Note: Thread Moved
You are correct i am in Memphis. Why do you ask?

Are there geo specific forums?

Where exactly did my thread get moved to...so i can know/learn where to post stuff.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
So, related but unrelated to the Ridgeline.

My wife has an HRV that the dealer told us needs brakes all around. They quoted dealer prices, of course.

You guys gave AMAZING advice on sending me to Discount Tire for my Ridgeline's new tires. So are there any chains you guys trust over others to do brakes.

I do NOT like Firestone, fyi.

What brake places do you RL folks suggest?
I've used Firestone and the dealer many times they both have pluses and minuses. Prices are slightly lower at the dealer.

My experience is that the dealer uses Honda brake pads aftermarket rotors and doesn't change the brake hardware. IMO, the brake hardware should always be changed. Do they remove the hardware and remove the rust from the caliper bracket? If they don't the brake job is worthless. Do they lube the slider pins? Once again, if they don't the brake job is worthless.

Firestone uses aftermarket pads and rotors and gave new brake hardware. One time, the rotors weren't "coated" so they were covered in rust when winter came. It looks like they have moved to a coated rotor which buys some time. Whether they grease the sliders and remove rust from the caliper bracket I don't know. I have had issues where I was charged $166 for each rear rotor on a CRV and when I got the bill I googled the part number and it came up as a NAPA rotor that I could have gotten myself for $33 with a discount. I referenced this and my dissatisfaction in a survey and they asked me what they could do to make it right. I replied 100% markup on parts should be more than fair so they refunded me $200. I've also had calipers replaced there and it's expensive.I have found Firestone to be very professional and they get you in and out quickly.

Dealer is always booked out at least a week in advance and since they don't give new hardware, I stayed with Firestone until recently.

Best bet is to find an independent garage by word of mouth. Their name is everything to them. Brakes are simple for the pros and you will get quality work and probably save slightly on the labor.

I got so fed up going to the dealer or Firestone because it's always 500 bucks per axle around here for rotors and pads so I watched videos and did the rear brakes for the first time last July in my wife's 15 CRV. No issues and I purchased the parts myself from Advance with a coupon and rebate it was less than $100 for their top of the line wherever platinum line. These parts are probably slightly better than what you get at a chain. Next time I will go for Honda pads there are about the same price as quality aftermarket and a quality aftermarket rotor. Yes, I was fearful with brakes because there is so much at stake but it's not that difficult. Best part is I know that all the necessary steps were taken and no shortcuts taken. I had an initial outlay of about 50 bucks for some caliper piston retraction tools and synthetic grease and brake cleaner. Now that several months have passed and no issues I'm confident that I can do pads and rotors on all my vehicles whenever I want going forward. By doing is yourself you can save 500 bucks per car.

·
Super Moderator
7,019 Posts
You are correct i am in Memphis. Why do you ask?

Are there geo specific forums?

Where exactly did my thread get moved to...so i can know/learn where to post stuff.
I moved it to Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

As for why I ask where, although I thought I recalled the location is two fold. 1) specific to this post something like brakes needs a physical location, so your location is needed as the first place I was going to suggest is not that far east. 2) although not very active we do have regional posts on the forum, Mid-South Ridgeline Owners and in looking for a specific location request "local brake shop" it may be helpful to post there or post a link to this thread there.

YMMV & my $0.02

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
My "local" Honda dealer will use customer supplied parts so at least check if your dealer will use your parts and then you can source whatever part you want/desire. I would imagine that the my dealer will not guarantee non-Honda aftermarket parts. Also, your dealer might price match Honda parts you can get from some of the online Honda parts dealers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've used Firestone and the dealer many times they both have pluses and minuses. Prices are slightly lower at the dealer.

My experience is that the dealer uses Honda brake pads aftermarket rotors and doesn't change the brake hardware. IMO, the brake hardware should always be changed. Do they remove the hardware and remove the rust from the caliper bracket? If they don't the brake job is worthless. Do they lube the slider pins? Once again, if they don't the brake job is worthless.

Firestone uses aftermarket pads and rotors and gave new brake hardware. One time, the rotors weren't "coated" so they were covered in rust when winter came. It looks like they have moved to a coated rotor which buys some time. Whether they grease the sliders and remove rust from the caliper bracket I don't know. I have had issues where I was charged $166 for each rear rotor on a CRV and when I got the bill I googled the part number and it came up as a NAPA rotor that I could have gotten myself for $33 with a discount. I referenced this and my dissatisfaction in a survey and they asked me what they could do to make it right. I replied 100% markup on parts should be more than fair so they refunded me $200. I've also had calipers replaced there and it's expensive.I have found Firestone to be very professional and they get you in and out quickly.

Dealer is always booked out at least a week in advance and since they don't give new hardware, I stayed with Firestone until recently.

Best bet is to find an independent garage by word of mouth. Their name is everything to them. Brakes are simple for the pros and you will get quality work and probably save slightly on the labor.

I got so fed up going to the dealer or Firestone because it's always 500 bucks per axle around here for rotors and pads so I watched videos and did the rear brakes for the first time last July in my wife's 15 CRV. No issues and I purchased the parts myself from Advance with a coupon and rebate it was less than $100 for their top of the line wherever platinum line. These parts are probably slightly better than what you get at a chain. Next time I will go for Honda pads there are about the same price as quality aftermarket and a quality aftermarket rotor. Yes, I was fearful with brakes because there is so much at stake but it's not that difficult. Best part is I know that all the necessary steps were taken and no shortcuts taken. I had an initial outlay of about 50 bucks for some caliper piston retraction tools and synthetic grease and brake cleaner. Now that several months have passed and no issues I'm confident that I can do pads and rotors on all my vehicles whenever I want going forward. By doing is yourself you can save 500 bucks per car.
Sadly i have had nothing but bad luck with firestone. Overselling and the final straw was when i owned a Pilot. I got new tires and lifetime rotation with them. So i covertly marked the tire so i could make sure they rotated them. Ended up taking the manager out there to show him what i did and told him i would never return to Firestone. I simply dont trust them. Once upon a time (decades ago) i got good service from them. They blew it.

The dealer wanted 265.00 for front and 275.00 for back. I found a local shop that has a good reputation that will do front fro 159 and back for 169 and they have a lifetime warranty on the brakes themselves. So probably gonna go with them.

Dealers here in memphis seem to operate with the Retail plus 50% mark up. I even give the parts department a chance to be competitive on parts and tell them i am shopping on the internet. They just give me the MSRP and attitude. So........

·
Super Moderator
7,019 Posts
Those prices are very fair for a pretty basic job which is one that Honda hasn't made too complicated. Granted I've never done a G2, but '93 Accord, '96 Del Sol, '97 Civic, '06 Ridgeline, '15 Fit could almost do them blindfolded, can't imagine the G2 changed much. My local stealership occasionally runs specials in that price range. And you can start developing a relationship with them, maybe help some future G1/G2 owner with a recommendation.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If you are in the west my recommendation would be one of the stores in the chain, called Les Schwab. I have been using them for 30 years.

Check the latest Comsumer Report where they were rated best overall. I know they have done a good job for me for several million miles

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I assume those prices are for pads only? If those prices include rotors it's a steal. I see that your are down south, rust probably isn't much of an issue down there for brakes could probably get away with a pad slap.

·
Super Moderator
7,019 Posts
If you are in the west my recommendation would be one of the stores in the chain, called Les Schwab. I have been using them for 30 years.

Check the latest Comsumer Report where they were rated best overall. I know they have done a good job for me for several million miles
He's in Memphis, that would have been my suggestion too.

I assume those prices are for pads only? If those prices include rotors it's a steal. I see that your are down south, rust probably isn't much of an issue down there for brakes could probably get away with a pad slap.
Should be a Pad Slap and Rotor Dressing or Turn, IMO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you want cheap or reliable? Try AAA. Not cheap but reliable. Do it yourself - cheap. Look at a Youtube video and go to Advance Auto or other parts store and get pads. If you have a basic set of tools and a Saturday morning you can save $$$.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
You probably don't want to hear this, but I agree with bbrowncods, DIY. There was a time I never thought I'd touch my brakes. After reading some threads here, I decided to try it and realized it is not that hard. Dirty, yes, but get some latex gloves and cleaning rags and you'll know the job was done right, bond with your vehicle, and save some dough. The oem pads have worked well for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts