Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I bought a brand new BE Ridgeline about a month ago. The truck is very nice but the air conditioner seems to be weak, especially for South Florida summer weather. Not only does the A/C take a few minutes to blow “cold” air in the cabin, eventually when it does, the temperature of the air coming out from the vents does not seem cold enough. I have already brought the truck to the dealer, and they claimed that the Freon charge was a little low from the factory. They recharged the system and put some dye in the system to detect any leaks. After the recharge, I did not see much difference in the A/C. I am scheduled to bring the truck to the dealer for a follow up inspection after the Freon recharge.

I do not drive in Econ mode, and the Recirculation mode is always On.

Does anybody else have issues with their A/C system? I will appreciate any input, thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I live in Orlando and my 2022 RL is adequate but not overwhelming; my Tundra was the same but my Durango is better. I'm OK with it for now. Put a thermometer in the main vent with the A/C running full blast and note the temp. Most car A/Cs try to hit a 25 degree max difference between interior temps and outside ambient temps - so if its 95 outside that may mean its 70 or more inside, optimally; if its 100 then inside might be 75 - again, best case. If actual nozzle temps are between 41 and 48 degrees its usually considered normal.

I had a tint stripe put across the top of the windshield and vent shades on the side windows and may consider darker tint on front windows, I know that helped on the Tundra. If you jump in the car after its sat outside for a time you have a few tricks that will help. Hitting and holding the key fob unlock button will open all four windows and the sunroof remotely allowing hot air out and then using the remote start key fob option will start the car and get the A/C cranking.. I don't thnk you can combine those features as a running car with the windows down is prob not permitted vis a vis theft....but I've never tried it.

Still some don't feel that's cold enough (like my post menopoausal, beloved wife - who may read this)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
880 Posts
I like the thermometer idea. I would test it against a new RL sitting on the dealers lot. I have a 2020 and we recently had a bit of a heat wave here in Nor Cal. Several days over the 110° mark. Driving around in that temp for a few hours I have to actually raise the AC temp because it starts to get too cool in the cab. I wouldn't let this go, be persistent with the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea I have a 22 and mine is the same. You have to drive it a couple miles and get some air blowing across the condenser before it starts to blow cold air. It will eventually blow ice cold air but it takes awhile. I also live in south Florida so I understand. I can't help but wonder if you cranked it up with a/c on Auto and left it parked if it would ever cool off. The climate control doesn't work well like other vehicles I have owned, I pretty much just use the manual fan speed switch and turn it on high and it seems to cool faster. Haven't had mine at the shop yet but at first oil change that will be at the top of my list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Orlando and my 2022 RL is adequate but not overwhelming; my Tundra was the same but my Durango is better. I'm OK with it for now. Put a thermometer in the main vent with the A/C running full blast and note the temp. Most car A/Cs try to hit a 25 degree max difference between interior temps and outside ambient temps - so if its 95 outside that may mean its 70 or more inside, optimally; if its 100 then inside might be 75 - again, best case. If actual nozzle temps are between 41 and 48 degrees its usually considered normal.

I had a tint stripe put across the top of the windshield and vent shades on the side windows and may consider darker tint on front windows, I know that helped on the Tundra. If you jump in the car after its sat outside for a time you have a few tricks that will help. Hitting and holding the key fob unlock button will open all four windows and the sunroof remotely allowing hot air out and then using the remote start key fob option will start the car and get the A/C cranking.. I don't thnk you can combine those features as a running car with the windows down is prob not permitted vis a vis theft....but I've never tried it.

Still some don't feel that's cold enough (like my post menopoausal, beloved wife - who may read this)
Thanks for the reply. The RL hardly stays out in the sun, so the car is not normally hot on the inside. I bought a thermometer and will be doing readings of the temperature of the air coming out from the vents. Regarding the tint stripe, I would think that having film on all the windows would make a difference too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you remote start the vehicle with the key fob and the air is in AUTO from last time driving the A/C cranks full speed, when you get IN the car and hit the start button, the A/C throttles down..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I have a 22 and mine is the same. You have to drive it a couple miles and get some air blowing across the condenser before it starts to blow cold air. It will eventually blow ice cold air but it takes awhile. I also live in south Florida so I understand. I can't help but wonder if you cranked it up with a/c on Auto and left it parked if it would ever cool off. The climate control doesn't work well like other vehicles I have owned, I pretty much just use the manual fan speed switch and turn it on high and it seems to cool faster. Haven't had mine at the shop yet but at first oil change that will be at the top of my list.
I usually use the manual fan speed switch as opposed to A/C on Auto.

It is my understanding that the newer vehicles including the 2022 Ridgeline use the 1234 Freon, supposedly it is more eco friendly, would this be the culprit for the Ridgeline A/C deficiency?

The A/C systems in other vehicles I own are much more efficient than the one in the Ridgeline.

·
Administrator
23,783 Posts
The A/C takes longer to blow cold air in the 2020 and newer Ridgeline due to use of a "cold storage evaporator" which is used on models with auto idle stop to limit the rise in cabin temperature after the engine stops. Without this special evaporator, the cabin temperature would rise much more quickly during an idle stop. The cold storage evaporator works by increasing the amount of thermal mass in the evaporator by using tubes filled with paraffin in between the fins. When the A/C turns on, the evaporator must remove heat not only from the air passing through it, but also the paraffin so the temperature drop across the evaporator won't peak until the paraffin also cools off.

Denso press release:

From Honda service information:

Climate Control System Description - Cold Storage Evaporator

To improve the comfort level in the passenger compartment, and improve the fuel consumption, the A/C system is equipped with a cold storage evaporator. The evaporator is has a cold insulator, located at the heat exchange area, which stores cold energy to be used to cool the passenger compartment while the engine and air-conditioning cycle is off during the idle-stop. Once the engine restarts, the A/C system returns to its normal operation. To enhance the cold insulator, the storage case uses paraffin and is integrated with inner fins to enhance the heat conductivity.

NOTE: This illustration is an example only. The appearance and structure of the actual parts may vary depending on the model.

Rectangle Font Parallel Cylinder Titanium

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,636 Posts
The A/C takes longer to blow cold air in the 2020 and newer Ridgeline due to use of a "cold storage evaporator" which is used on models with auto idle stop to limit the rise in cabin temperature after the engine stops. Without this special evaporator, the cabin temperature would rise much more quickly during an idle stop. The cold storage evaporator works by increasing the amount of thermal mass in the evaporator by using tubes filled with paraffin in between the fins. When the A/C turns on, the evaporator must remove heat not only from the air passing through it, but also the paraffin so the temperature drop across the evaporator won't peak until the paraffin also cools off.
I would rather be cool, than save fuel.

·
Administrator
23,783 Posts
A cold storage evaporator removes just as much heat as a traditional evaporator - it just takes a few more minutes to cool off. :)

Another advantage of a cold storage evaporator is less temperature fluctuation during operation in systems like the Ridgeline's that use a cycling compressor that is either on or off instead of a variable-displacement compressor that runs constantly and adjusts its displacement to match the cooling demand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Denso press release:

From Honda service information:

Climate Control System Description - Cold Storage Evaporator

To improve the comfort level in the passenger compartment, and improve the fuel consumption, the A/C system is equipped with a cold storage evaporator. The evaporator is has a cold insulator, located at the heat exchange area, which stores cold energy to be used to cool the passenger compartment while the engine and air-conditioning cycle is off during the idle-stop. Once the engine restarts, the A/C system returns to its normal operation. To enhance the cold insulator, the storage case uses paraffin and is integrated with inner fins to enhance the heat conductivity.

NOTE: This illustration is an example only. The appearance and structure of the actual parts may vary depending on the model.

View attachment 430328

I usually drive the Ridgeline with the Auto Idle in the Off position. If I had setting in the On position, coming to a stop and the engine turning off, the temperature of the A/C would rise considerably, hence, usually drive with the Auto Idle in the Off position.

·
Administrator
23,783 Posts
I usually drive the Ridgeline with the Auto Idle in the Off position. If I had setting in the On position, coming to a stop and the engine turning off, the temperature of the A/C would rise considerably, hence, usually drive with the Auto Idle in the Off position.
Yep - and it would rise even faster without a cold storage evaporator.

If you take a 2017-2019 Ridgeline and a 2020-2023 Ridgeline and turn the A/C off, you'll notice that the outlet temperature will rise much faster in the 2017-2019 than the 2020-2023.

·
Registered
22 Red RTL
3 Posts
I bought a brand new BE Ridgeline about a month ago. The truck is very nice but the air conditioner seems to be weak, especially for South Florida summer weather. Not only does the A/C take a few minutes to blow “cold” air in the cabin, eventually when it does, the temperature of the air coming out from the vents does not seem cold enough. I have already brought the truck to the dealer, and they claimed that the Freon charge was a little low from the factory. They recharged the system and put some dye in the system to detect any leaks. After the recharge, I did not see much difference in the A/C. I am scheduled to bring the truck to the dealer for a follow up inspection after the Freon recharge.

I do not drive in Econ mode, and the Recirculation mode is always On.

Does anybody else have issues with their A/C system? I will appreciate any input, thanks.
Live in Az have a ’22, A/C works great in mine

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm in TX and compared to my other cars (even compared to a 100K+ 2009 Camry) the RL's AC seems a bit weak.
Also imo during short shopping trips between plazas and even different stores located in the same shopping center the RL interior is heating up quicker than I was expecting from a modern 40K+ vehicle...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 22 RTL and live in Florida. The AC is the weakest of any vehicle I have ever owned. It takes a long time to cool off the car. It seems to blow warm for a solid 10 minutes before it finally cools off. I have ceramic tint on all windows, including a strip on the front windshield.

AC has lacked since day one. Currently at 15k miles and thinking about mentioning it to dealer on the next visit. The truck will eventually cool off but I have to blast the AC and it takes way longer than other vehicles I have owned and ridden in over the years.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts