Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Brand new 2022 BE Ridgeline with A/C Issue

6K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  molson.david 
I live in Orlando and my 2022 RL is adequate but not overwhelming; my Tundra was the same but my Durango is better. I'm OK with it for now. Put a thermometer in the main vent with the A/C running full blast and note the temp. Most car A/Cs try to hit a 25 degree max difference between interior temps and outside ambient temps - so if its 95 outside that may mean its 70 or more inside, optimally; if its 100 then inside might be 75 - again, best case. If actual nozzle temps are between 41 and 48 degrees its usually considered normal.

I had a tint stripe put across the top of the windshield and vent shades on the side windows and may consider darker tint on front windows, I know that helped on the Tundra. If you jump in the car after its sat outside for a time you have a few tricks that will help. Hitting and holding the key fob unlock button will open all four windows and the sunroof remotely allowing hot air out and then using the remote start key fob option will start the car and get the A/C cranking.. I don't thnk you can combine those features as a running car with the windows down is prob not permitted vis a vis theft....but I've never tried it.

Still some don't feel that's cold enough (like my post menopoausal, beloved wife - who may read this)

If you remote start the vehicle with the key fob and the air is in AUTO from last time driving the A/C cranks full speed, when you get IN the car and hit the start button, the A/C throttles down..

Well, if a dealer checked everything and found no issues... The answer is yes...
There is a pretty cheap and more or less easy way to increase your AC performance by insulation the interior with sound deadening. It will reduce heat exchange speed and reduce AC loses.
I haven't removed any door panels or anything, but bases on my experience the RL's doors and roof have no or very little insulation and sound empty and soundproofing (which would act as the thermal insulation as well) would lower the interior noise and thermo losses.
You can buy special automotive thermo insulating materials, but even regular sound insulation, especially combination of sound deadening and sound absorbing materials, would make a noticeable difference.
Regular sound deadening material may cover holes/cracks for hot air intrustion, but provides little heat "insulation".....look for an R factor in the advertising hype - few of those treatments will have any - even some of the expnesive ones. I've put a lot of the stuff in a lot of cars.
Vehicle Hood Steering part Steering wheel Car

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.