Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
It seems to blow warm for a solid 10 minutes before it finally cools off. I have ceramic tint on all windows, including a strip on the front windshield.
Sounds like there is a problem, but I only have been in mine and the couple I test drove. My 2019 takes a minute or two to really start blowing cold on the hottest days. Of course it takes the truck longer to actually cool down, but that's no different than any vehicle I've had. I'm in TX and I expect it to get burn your skin hot inside my truck every summer. There are times when I have to play hot potato with the steering wheel. :LOL:

The only thing that bugs me about the AC so far is the poor Auto performance in mild temps. It seems to pick the wrong thing when it's like 60ish outside and the inside of the vehicle is still hot. If the outside temp isn't closer to 70 then a setting of 74 will tend to blow warm air even when it's already too warm in the vehicle. In those cases I have to turn it down to something lower than 70 to get it to cool the interior. Otherwise it usually works fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks everyone for all your inputs.

A follow up from the dealer visit. They inspected the Ridgeline and found no Freon leak in the AC system. The service manager of the dealer got involved in my case so they went ahead and pulled a new Ridgeline from the lot and compared the readings to my truck, and they were both similar. The dealer concluded that my Ridgeline is up to factory specs and found nothing wrong with it. Both the service manager and the service advisor did agree that the temperature of the air coming out of the vents could be colder.

I bought a digital thermometer and did some temperature readings coming out of my Ridgeline vents. The lowest temperature I managed to get was 45 degrees, although for a very short period of time, then it would go up to the upper 40’s.

Today, I sat in a 2022 Pilot and noticed that the AC system blew cold air faster than my Ridgeline.

In conclusion, is the AC in the Ridgeline working as designed?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks everyone for all your inputs.

A follow up from the dealer visit. They inspected the Ridgeline and found no Freon leak in the AC system. The service manager of the dealer got involved in my case so they went ahead and pulled a new Ridgeline from the lot and compared the readings to my truck, and they were both similar. The dealer concluded that my Ridgeline is up to factory specs and found nothing wrong with it. Both the service manager and the service advisor did agree that the temperature of the air coming out of the vents could be colder.

I bought a digital thermometer and did some temperature readings coming out of my Ridgeline vents. The lowest temperature I managed to get was 45 degrees, although for a very short period of time, then it would go up to the upper 40’s.

Today, I sat in a 2022 Pilot and noticed that the AC system blew cold air faster than my Ridgeline.

In conclusion, is the AC in the Ridgeline working as designed?
Well, if a dealer checked everything and found no issues... The answer is yes...
There is a pretty cheap and more or less easy way to increase your AC performance by insulation the interior with sound deadening. It will reduce heat exchange speed and reduce AC loses.
I haven't removed any door panels or anything, but bases on my experience the RL's doors and roof have no or very little insulation and sound empty and soundproofing (which would act as the thermal insulation as well) would lower the interior noise and thermo losses.
You can buy special automotive thermo insulating materials, but even regular sound insulation, especially combination of sound deadening and sound absorbing materials, would make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was running some errands yesterday. 5-7 minutes drives, 15-20 min off intervals. Outside T was close to 90, inside T set to 67, fan speed 3-4-5. In auto a fan makes just too much noise. Tinted windows, sunroof shade closed. The air coming out of the vents was cold, but the interior was not cooling fast enough and getting hot during stops way too quick even with the sun screen.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, if a dealer checked everything and found no issues... The answer is yes...
There is a pretty cheap and more or less easy way to increase your AC performance by insulation the interior with sound deadening. It will reduce heat exchange speed and reduce AC loses.
I haven't removed any door panels or anything, but bases on my experience the RL's doors and roof have no or very little insulation and sound empty and soundproofing (which would act as the thermal insulation as well) would lower the interior noise and thermo losses.
You can buy special automotive thermo insulating materials, but even regular sound insulation, especially combination of sound deadening and sound absorbing materials, would make a noticeable difference.
Regular sound deadening material may cover holes/cracks for hot air intrustion, but provides little heat "insulation".....look for an R factor in the advertising hype - few of those treatments will have any - even some of the expnesive ones. I've put a lot of the stuff in a lot of cars.
Vehicle Hood Steering part Steering wheel Car

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Red

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
477 Posts
I usually drive the Ridgeline with the Auto Idle in the Off position. If I had setting in the On position, coming to a stop and the engine turning off, the temperature of the A/C would rise considerably, hence, usually drive with the Auto Idle in the Off position.
I haven't had mine out of "S" since I bought it 2.5 years ago, which automatically disables Auto Idle start/stop.

·
Registered
2021 Honda, Ridgeline, Black Edition
35 Posts
I bought a brand new BE Ridgeline about a month ago. The truck is very nice but the air conditioner seems to be weak, especially for South Florida summer weather. Not only does the A/C take a few minutes to blow “cold” air in the cabin, eventually when it does, the temperature of the air coming out from the vents does not seem cold enough. I have already brought the truck to the dealer, and they claimed that the Freon charge was a little low from the factory. They recharged the system and put some dye in the system to detect any leaks. After the recharge, I did not see much difference in the A/C. I am scheduled to bring the truck to the dealer for a follow up inspection after the Freon recharge.

I do not drive in Econ mode, and the Recirculation mode is always On.

Does anybody else have issues with their A/C system? I will appreciate any input, thanks.
I have a 2021 BE and my AC pretty much failed. Took to dealer, they identified that the compressor/canister has a leak. Replacing under warranty next week.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I spoke to a service advisor this morning about my sunroof seal issue and asked hi about the AC. He said that Cold Storage Evaporator ( see post #11) a lot of people are complaining that AC is lees efficient vs their older cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see the A/C as the second line of heat control. I always have all the glass equipped with 3M Crystalline heat radiation rejecting film because I have dogs that live in the truck when I'm at field competition events. This is a metallic crystal film that's typically used used on the manager class walled corner offices in high rise buildings. 3M has vehicle installation dealers as well but there may be only one in town because it does cost more. But the heat that doesn't have to be pumped out by the A/C doesn't use the extra gas to do it so it saves money overall and the seats don't burn your ass when you get in as a bonus. The film that you put on the windshield isn't quite as strong but the tint is vey slight. Be aware that about 40% of the heat that gets into the vehicle comes through the windshield so the driver really is in the hot seat without it. As an aside I always buy white vehicles. If you don't and you live in Florida you maybe missed that day in physics class when they discussed black body radiation.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts