Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we picked up our brand new RTL-E about a month ago and at the same time as the sales guy we noticed the windshield had these dots ALL OVER it. He offered to give the truck a free detail at another date (it was late) to remove it. My husband took it in 2 weeks ago for the detail and the windshield isn't any better. It's 2 hours round trip to get to the dealership so at this point we would like to pursue an at home fix. Have any of you ran into this problem before? If so, what is a clean and effective way to remove the dots all over the windshield?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well that is annoying.... If the dots are on the outside... hopefully they are something stuck on the surface like sap, that can be scraped of with a razor blade, and not something like pitting... which I have no clue as to how to remove that.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I've removed windshield pitting on a past truck, using progressively finer sandpaper and wet-sanding, along with a polishing compound.

I used Mag & Aluminum Polish (was either Mother's or Meguiars), and sandpaper, starting with 800-grit, then 1200-grit, then 1600 and/or 2000-grit. Rub the polish all over the windshield (it is like toothpaste), then dip the sandpaper in water and start sanding by hand, re-dipping the sandpaper every 30 seconds or so.

It took several hours and lots of elbow grease, but windshield came out BETTER than new.

Give it a coat of Rain-X when you're done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you mean by pitting. I'm thinking its an overspray of some sort of wax or paint sealer. Would the method above still work to remove that? Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
In a very inconspicuous spot try to determine if it is a substance on the windshield or damage to the surface. Try a 'Mr. Clean Magic Sponge' with lots of lubrication (water). If it's on the surface, a magic sponge or clay bar will work wonders. If its damage to the windshield, i.e. pitting from sand on the trip from the factory, I'd be asking for a new windshield. Polishing the surface, thereby making the glass thinner, is not the answer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In a very inconspicuous spot try to determine if it is a substance on the windshield or damage to the surface. Try a 'Mr. Clean Magic Sponge' with lots of lubrication (water). If it's on the surface, a magic sponge or clay bar will work wonders. If its damage to the windshield, i.e. pitting from sand on the trip from the factory, I'd be asking for a new windshield. Polishing the surface, thereby making the glass thinner, is not the answer.
So something like this? https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Magic-Eraser-Extra/dp/B00BR1FSU8/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488468597&sr=8-2&keywords=mr+clean+magic If so I'll pick some up at Walmart and give it a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
A picture would be helpful... as noside85 asked, are the dots raised like little bumps? Or just marks that you cannot feel?

I recommend Tarminator. It is specifically for removing road grime, tar, tree sap, bugs, etc. But it also works amazingly on many other substances. Pick up a can of it, spray it on, let sit for a few minutes, then just wash it away.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As title and OP says the truck is new. Give the dealer another chance. If not fixed, Call Honda customer service. If the spots can't be removed then a new windshield is due. Under warranty. It sounds like some kind of acid etch. Truck was sitting somewhere with rain water on it and it dried .Etching into the glass.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I had the exact same thing with an Acura... exactly has described. My issue was because where they parked it, it got overspray from their body shop. And they had a detailer simply claybar everything off. I bet they missed the windsheild during their work. (if it is the same issue).

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I had the exact same thing with an Acura... exactly has described. My issue was because where they parked it, it got overspray from their body shop. And they had a detailer simply claybar everything off. I bet they missed the windsheild during their work. (if it is the same issue).
Along the same idea above /\

If it's on your glass it's probably on the rest of the Truck. It's highly unlikely it fell on your glass & not the truck too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would not try to do anything on my own! It's documented, so it's on them to make it right. If you do something, they then can say it's your fault if it gets worse. Make the dealer work for you! If it can't be fixed, make them exchange it for another truck. :wink: Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to try the Mr. Clean magic erasers first. If they don't work I'll post a photo of the spots (can't right now as my husband is out with the truck) and get your advice. Thank you ALL for replying with suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I'm going to try the Mr. Clean magic erasers first. If they don't work I'll post a photo of the spots (can't right now as my husband is out with the truck) and get your advice. Thank you ALL for replying with suggestions.
You really shouldn't on your windows! Those are abrasive materials.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would not try to do anything on my own! It's documented, so it's on them to make it right. If you do something, they then can say it's your fault if it gets worse. Make the dealer work for you! If it can't be fixed, make them exchange it for another truck. :wink: Tom
You are correct, it is documented but its a 2 hour round trip to get to our dealership which we have already had to do 2 times since purchasing the truck. I'm going to try the magic eraser and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Are they really that abrasive? Maybe I can try it in a small inconspicuous area first and see what it does perhaps.
Let's just say you got more guts than me. It might be ok, but it is so fine that it "may" create what looks like foggy spots (or smudge) if used too much. I'm just not that daring. I would use a proper clay bar, they are cheap at the automotive. or a razor blade scraper. I mean, you don't even know what it is yet. If I were doing it, and I didn't want to take it into the dealer, I would try scraping a couple of dots off to see what they are. Then see what solvent would work with it. But really, clay bar is your friend... you should have some on hand anyway you will always find a use for it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you work on it yourself and it's still under Warranty. Then your rolling the dice of having Honda pay for it or you having to pay. Honda does not have to do anything if you make it worse. There aren't any closer dealers to you ? If there are, bring truck to them, you don't have to bring it to purchasing dealer.
You are looking at probly $800 to $1000 dollar windshield

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts