Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Brand NEW truck - dots ALL OVER windshield?

5K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Outfitter2 
#1 ·
So we picked up our brand new RTL-E about a month ago and at the same time as the sales guy we noticed the windshield had these dots ALL OVER it. He offered to give the truck a free detail at another date (it was late) to remove it. My husband took it in 2 weeks ago for the detail and the windshield isn't any better. It's 2 hours round trip to get to the dealership so at this point we would like to pursue an at home fix. Have any of you ran into this problem before? If so, what is a clean and effective way to remove the dots all over the windshield?

#4 ·
I've removed windshield pitting on a past truck, using progressively finer sandpaper and wet-sanding, along with a polishing compound.

I used Mag & Aluminum Polish (was either Mother's or Meguiars), and sandpaper, starting with 800-grit, then 1200-grit, then 1600 and/or 2000-grit. Rub the polish all over the windshield (it is like toothpaste), then dip the sandpaper in water and start sanding by hand, re-dipping the sandpaper every 30 seconds or so.

It took several hours and lots of elbow grease, but windshield came out BETTER than new.

Give it a coat of Rain-X when you're done.

#6 ·
In a very inconspicuous spot try to determine if it is a substance on the windshield or damage to the surface. Try a 'Mr. Clean Magic Sponge' with lots of lubrication (water). If it's on the surface, a magic sponge or clay bar will work wonders. If its damage to the windshield, i.e. pitting from sand on the trip from the factory, I'd be asking for a new windshield. Polishing the surface, thereby making the glass thinner, is not the answer.

#9 ·
A picture would be helpful... as noside85 asked, are the dots raised like little bumps? Or just marks that you cannot feel?

I recommend Tarminator. It is specifically for removing road grime, tar, tree sap, bugs, etc. But it also works amazingly on many other substances. Pick up a can of it, spray it on, let sit for a few minutes, then just wash it away.

#10 ·
As title and OP says the truck is new. Give the dealer another chance. If not fixed, Call Honda customer service. If the spots can't be removed then a new windshield is due. Under warranty. It sounds like some kind of acid etch. Truck was sitting somewhere with rain water on it and it dried .Etching into the glass.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I had the exact same thing with an Acura... exactly has described. My issue was because where they parked it, it got overspray from their body shop. And they had a detailer simply claybar everything off. I bet they missed the windsheild during their work. (if it is the same issue).

#13 ·
I would not try to do anything on my own! It's documented, so it's on them to make it right. If you do something, they then can say it's your fault if it gets worse. Make the dealer work for you! If it can't be fixed, make them exchange it for another truck. :wink: Tom

#20 ·
If you work on it yourself and it's still under Warranty. Then your rolling the dice of having Honda pay for it or you having to pay. Honda does not have to do anything if you make it worse. There aren't any closer dealers to you ? If there are, bring truck to them, you don't have to bring it to purchasing dealer.
You are looking at probly $800 to $1000 dollar windshield

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Here are a couple photographs of the spots. It looks like rain. It is actually something that's on all the windows since we purchased the truck. I'm thinking its an over spray of some sort of wax they coated the truck with. It's most noticeable on the windshield.

Attachments

#32 ·
So my husband is going to drop it off at the dealership tomorrow to get replacement cup holders for the backseat doors (both were scratched up when we purchased the car) and for them to take a closer look at all the windows. I hope their detailers have the right product to get whatever this stuff is off.

#33 ·
I have had fantastic results cleaning glass with 0000 steel wool. Leaned this trick from a professional window cleaning company.
They also used Dawn dish detergent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.