Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new Ridgeline Thursday and my Dealer told me there was no Break-In procedure. Drive it "anyway you like". My experience on all new vehicles I've purchased was to take it easy the first 50-100 or so miles, then do full throttle accelerations and not hold constant speeds over the next 100 mile period.
All my vehicles have outperformed other vehicles of the same type and have never leaked oil or burned any oil. Any reason why this shouldn't be a good break in procedure for the New Ridgeline? By the way it's just as smooth at 100 MPH.

"If you can find a better vehicle, buy it". The Ridgeline is that vehicle !

·
Registered
578 Posts
In the owners manual, it states what you should do for the first 600 miles.
Things like no hard acceleration, no towing, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
shingles said:
In the owners manual, it states what you should do for the first 600 miles.
Things like no hard acceleration, no towing, etc.
There's a lot of useful information in the manual that, if read, would cut down on the postings here. I urge all new owners to read the manual and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised when discovering some of the Ridgeline's subtle features that might otherwise go unnoticed. :)

L

·
0 Posts
ridged said:
There's a lot of useful information in the manual that, if read, would cut down on the postings here. I urge all new owners to read the manual and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised when discovering some of the Ridgeline's subtle features that might otherwise go unnoticed. :)
I agree that the manual is a very useful tool, however, why would we want it to cut down on postings?? :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ridged said:
Just a FYI, I did read the manual, and yes it has some pleasantly surprising information in it. Thanks for pointing that out. It also conflicted with what the Dealer told me. Thus the posting. Wow, tough crowd here....Just wanted to know what others were doing...

My Dealer also told me to bring the car back in 3000 miles for a free oil change, and they will filter the drainage to look for any evidence of excessive wear. This also conflicts with the manual. Again this is old school vs manual. Maybe the Dealer needs to read the manual...But I will be happy to accept the free oil change...and get a better reading on how things are performing. Maybe they know something Honda doesn't. Sorry if the posting "Isn't worthy", then feel free to delete it...

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My sales rep told me not to use cruise control for the first 500 miles. Otherwise, drive it normally.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Hey Ridgeme, who said your post was not "worthy"? It is a very valid and good question, especially since you received information from the dealer that conflicts with the manual. I'm sure Ridged meant no offense when he said to read the manual since there is a great deal of info there that escapes us on first glance. The point he was making, and it was a good one, was when in doubt, follow the manual. Most of the time that is very good advice.

My dealer told me about the same thing, in a round about way. Come in for an oil change at 3750 miles (at least that is what the sticker says on my window). Of course, the sticker does not say it will be free. That conflicted with what the manual and the oil life monitor said so I went to bobistheoilguy.com where all the oil geeks hang out and got some good information on oil related issues and a few tips on brake-in.

The problem is the tips were also contradictory! One guy would say these new engines are basically broke in when they are delivered. Another guy would say to drive it slow for a while then let her rip but be sure to change oil every 1,000 miles for the first 5,000 miles. So you see, everyone has an opinion and I can guarantee the salesman himself does not know any more than we do here about this vehicle, maybe less.

I think in the end one needs to use common sense. How do you treat a new gal you just met? With kid gloves right? You go slow with her, you don't rush anything and you never put an undue burden on her. In other words, you treat her very, very gentle and respectful. Well, it is the same with a car. Down the road you can rough things up a bit (I hope you don't with a woman anytime however - lol!) but just use common sense and you will be fine for many miles with your new Ridge.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent points Shortspark. I come from the old school to set the pistons hard and you will always get top performance. This has proven successful for ME, but isn't recommended by Honda. Sounds the Dealer saying "don't use the cruise" talks to the old school of not holding a constant speed for a long time. Dealers changing the oil before the gauge tells you talks to old school of getting that first oil out of there sooner than manual recommended. Glad to hear all the things the Owners are hearing from the Dealers it helps us better know the path YOU wish to follow. These forums have proven to be extremely valuable to me on the purchase, accessories, and things to look for. I thank everyone for their postings.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If the manual and the dealer conflict
Either there has been a revision to the manual and SOP
OR
The dealer is making things up. I happen to trust the people designing the cars more than I trust the dealers who are more interested in getting my money during repairs.

I once had a fight with a Subaru dealer where he insisted I use 20W50 oil for all climate use. When I showed the dealer the manual, he stated it as an error in the manual and the service manual stated 20W50. When I showed him the service manual he stated it was a TSB. When I told him I contacted Subaru of America and 1) 20W50 would damage my engine and 2) there was no TSB he finally changed the oil back normal. (Jim Reed Subaru of Nashville TN).

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
My procedure was as follows.

1) Take it real easy on the throttle, brakes, and load for 600 miles.
2) From 600-1,000 miles, half throttle roll-ons are ok. No jump starts or stops.
3) At 1,000 miles, give her a few shots full throttle. Do the first few from a rolling start, then do a few more from a standing start.
4) Give her one full throttle run up past 100mph, no load. After this, you can add load, not before.
5) Change the oil when HAL tells you to, not before.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The only car I kept for more than 100k miles was a 91 Acura integra 3 dr. It had 180K + when the cvc's started to fail. Should have had them fixed. Never had a problem with the engine, as to oil related stuff, It was clutch plates and just. I have to drive an automatic, because I love to down shift at high rates of speed. AND I know, its better to replace brake pads then a clutch, thats why an automatic. On brake in as everyone has said, BE RESONABLE. BUT, sometimes you have to goose it to excape a potential situation, just don't red line it ever...

Just my thoughts.

L

·
0 Posts
RidgeMe said:
Just a FYI, I did read the manual, and yes it has some pleasantly surprising information in it. Thanks for pointing that out. It also conflicted with what the Dealer told me. Thus the posting. Wow, tough crowd here....Just wanted to know what others were doing...

My Dealer also told me to bring the car back in 3000 miles for a free oil change, and they will filter the drainage to look for any evidence of excessive wear. This also conflicts with the manual. Again this is old school vs manual. Maybe the Dealer needs to read the manual...But I will be happy to accept the free oil change...and get a better reading on how things are performing. Maybe they know something Honda doesn't. Sorry if the posting "Isn't worthy", then feel free to delete it...
Every posting is worthy because everything everyone says is important. Keep em' comin' RidgeMe!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
RidgeMe said:

Sorry if the posting "Isn't worthy", then feel free to delete it...
Ah, don't worry about the scolding. You will find that some people on this forum have more patience than others. Some are quicker to scold. Over all you are going to find a band of good hearted, helpful people here who are willing to share their knowledge and opinions about our common interest, the Ridgeline.

It's the nature of forums to have people ask repetitive questions. It's also easy to jump to conclusions that the person posing the question never tried to find the information from performing searches or reading the manual before seeking the answer in a new post.

I'd like to offer a gentle reminder to posters who are expressing frustation with the questions being asked: Reading the manual(s) is a bit of information overload. Yes, they are chuck full of good advice and explanations, but some of us do not absorb and preserve every sentence we read. I have also done many searches before posting a question that did not lead me to the information I needed. That effort is invisible to you. Let's give people the benefit of the doubt and keep it friendly. I know I can't make anyone change, but I think "RTFM" is rude and abrasive.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
RidgeMe said:
I participate on many forums (on many topics) and I see questions asked repeatedly when, in fact, the answers are in the manual. I guess I'm too sensitive to the issue.

Sorry if the posting "Isn't worthy", then feel free to delete it...
I'm not a moderator but even if I was, I wouldn't delete your post. I simply felt that it was a good opportunity to point out the value of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
shovelhd said:
My procedure was as follows.

1) Take it real easy on the throttle, brakes, and load for 600 miles.
2) From 600-1,000 miles, half throttle roll-ons are ok. No jump starts or stops.
3) At 1,000 miles, give her a few shots full throttle. Do the first few from a rolling start, then do a few more from a standing start.
4) Give her one full throttle run up past 100mph, no load. After this, you can add load, not before.
5) Change the oil when HAL tells you to, not before.
Hey shovelhd! did #4 this weekend!!! got 105 mph before I ran out of black top!! what a ride!!! never been that fast before. looking for another quite, lanes with no traffic to top that speed. reminded me of the trains in france doing 250! my eyes were focused to the front all the way, and the woods on the sides were going by like a blur. the truck hugged the road and smooth all the way..wow!!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
ladyridge said:
I agree that the manual is a very useful tool, however, why would we want it to cut down on postings?? :D
Bandwidth and signal-to-noise ratio. Bandwidth is expensive and a low signal-to-noise ratio can make it more difficult to find the information that one is searching for. :)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
shortspark said:
Hey Ridgeme, who said your post was not "worthy"? It is a very valid and good question, especially since you received information from the dealer that conflicts with the manual. I'm sure Ridged meant no offense when he said to read the manual since there is a great deal of info there that escapes us on first glance. The point he was making, and it was a good one, was when in doubt, follow the manual. Most of the time that is very good advice.
Correct! I meant no offense and I didn't even respond directly to the original post - I responded to another response. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Truckin' said:
Ah, don't worry about the scolding. You will find that some people on this forum have more patience than others. Some are quicker to scold. Over all you are going to find a band of good hearted, helpful people here who are willing to share their knowledge and opinions about our common interest, the Ridgeline.

It's the nature of forums to have people ask repetitive questions. It's also easy to jump to conclusions that the person posing the question never tried to find the information from performing searches or reading the manual before seeking the answer in a new post.

I'd like to offer a gentle reminder to posters who are expressing frustation with the questions being asked: Reading the manual(s) is a bit of information overload. Yes, they are chuck full of good advice and explanations, but some of us do not absorb and preserve every sentence we read. I have also done many searches before posting a question that did not lead me to the information I needed. That effort is invisible to you. Let's give people the benefit of the doubt and keep it friendly. I know I can't make anyone change, but I think "RTFM" is rude and abrasive.

Just my opinion, FWIW.
Now that I've effectively been put in my place, I'll retreat to the safety of lurk mode, where it is impossible to be misunderstood. Thanks for keeping me in line.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ridged said:
Now that I've effectively been put in my place, I'll retreat to the safety of lurk mode, where it is impossible to be misunderstood. Thanks for keeping me in line.
Ridged: No need to retreat. We need your input like all other Owners, or potential Owners, to get the most information about the Ridgeline. Water past the bridge.. :eek:

Amazing now much varience there is in the "Recommended Break-In".
I think we all agree, common sense is the word. The only thing I really have a problem with is leaving initial oil in there till HAL tells you it should be changed. Think about it...Wouldn't there be more damaging contaminants in the first oil run through the vehicle VS the oil from a later change? Parts are pretty much seated and worn in by that point. My oil will be changed at 3000 miles per the Dealer instructions. First reason is it can't hurt, and second they are doing mine for free. Free is always a good thing! :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Actually, it may hurt to change too early. While honda won't confirm, numerous tests have shown that the first batch of oil (in Hondas) have a high concentration molydenum, which aids in break in of the engine. The concentration is much higher than that of normal engine oil.

Also, in many independant tests I've seen, the first oil change does NOT show high concentrations of metals etc etc. Remember, you do have an oil filter and that's what it's for, to filter out that stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts