Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone decided to liberate me of my backpack in the back seat and in the process smashed the left backseat window.

My deductible is 500. Anyone have a ballpark of what the repair costs will be? Trying to figure out if it’s worth getting insurance involved.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,900 Posts
You can probably run an online quote on the safelite website to get in the ballpark reflecting your location / labor market rates.

FYI, IME the online quote is for their generic 'OEM equivalent' glass - if you call you can get the (higher) price quote with them using genuine Honda glass (my preference but that's just me; I've had no problems getting safelite to use genuine OEM glass over the years). I always drive to their facility rather than using 'on-scene installation'.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Someone decided to liberate me of my backpack in the back seat and in the process smashed the left backseat window.

My deductible is 500. Anyone have a ballpark of what the repair costs will be? Trying to figure out if it’s worth getting insurance involved.

Thanks.
I would probably have to report it when i realized the $850 in my backpack was gone. :devilish::devilish:

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
In my area the quote is around $459 (plus taxes,etc.) to have the window repaired.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
When my Acura TL was broken into this past May 30th nothing taken driver and passenger windows were smashed. Mobile window service Allstate Insurance contacted came out to house for repair.
It didn't cost me anything but lots of time cleaning up many bits of glass all over car.
I asked the glass installer how much it would cost if not for insurance for my car.
He told me about $150 per window.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my area the quote is around $459 (plus taxes,etc.) to have the window repaired.

$459 sounds expensive for a side window because I had an Acoustic Windshield installed on my 2019 Sport for $450 at a local auto glass company. I used Yelp to find a highly reviewed auto glass company.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,900 Posts
Ditto on Safelite 'generic glass' quote in Austin, TX (installed at their shop).

Noting that the OEM Honda glass alone from HondaPartsNow is ~$185+shipping.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for quick and helpful responses!

Safelite was around the 480$ price for their standard glass. They would’ve done OEM, but the collision center associated with the dealer I bought my Ridgeline at could do OEM for 485 so I just went with that.

A bit of background: window was completely smashed. Definitely repairing was not an option. However, through this learned some interesting stuff that I thought I’d pass on.

GEICO will repair for free typically, in the event of chips/cracks. Replacement, though, has to be done through a glass claim. This (allegedly according to GEICO help desk) does not impact premium as it would be a no-fault loss. Unfortunately, my deductible was 500 so wasn’t really helpful in this case. For my next period I’ll probably drop it down to 250 (extra 40$ for the 6 months) in the unlikely but possible event that I have another incident like this.

Also as I waited for the cops to show up I did some digging on dash cams. A company called OwlCam has a dual facing 4G streaming one for $300 (data access after 1st year is $100/yr). Once I get this window all paid for I’ll probably get one of those as it could also help in the event of an accident.

Hope this info helps and thanks again.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, a plug to keep business cards/contact info in your stuff!

On a brighter note, a Good Samaritan found my bag in his bushes 2 blocks down from the bar that I was at and called me to get it back to me (thanks to the card inside).

Only thing taken from the bag was my headphones. Had the thief done had any sense they would’ve realized the leather backpack was worth about 3x as much as the used headphones but I guess they just look for electronics and nothing else.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,414 Posts
...........Also as I waited for the cops to show up I did some digging on dash cams. A company called OwlCam has a dual facing 4G streaming one for $300 (data access after 1st year is $100/yr). Once I get this window all paid for I’ll probably get one of those as it could also help in the event of an accident.

Hope this info helps and thanks again.
Hell, they'd probably steal that too. Better to use your trunk. OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND! But, dash cams are great in the event of a mishap. Get one that affixes to your windshield with 2 sided tape. Can't get those off like the suction cup models.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't help you on the repair cost, but my 2008 RL rear passenger window was smashed and my (work) laptop was stolen. At the time I was - ironically - in a Gander Mountain shopping for a new .357 Ruger but spent a little too much time shopping, I guess. This was actually the second time the very same laptop was stolen from this truck; the first time, the rear window was open a couple of inches and the thief was thus able to open the door somehow without breaking the window. That time, the police found the laptop a block away by a dumpster because it was encrypted, and unusable without the proper login credentials. Fun times!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts