Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not much out there is going to make a substantial improvement by replacing the stock bulb with whatever. IMHO your best bet would be to mount a led spotlight beside the hitch assembly. Plenty of space available for a smaller light. Should be rather easy to hook up to the existing reverse bulb wiring however may require a relay and getting the power from the trailer harness. Something like this comes to mind however the choice out there is almost limitless for very little money. 12V 30W LED Spot Light Motorcycle Car Boat Off Road Driving Spotlight Headlight | eBay

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I purchased these on Amazon on recommendation from Haymoose. They are 100% plug and play and my son says they are brighter than the headlights on his Nissan Altima.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Touring OBP
5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
442 Posts
Other than replacing the factory 7440 bulbs with LEDs, I installed an aftermarket 6 LED light ($10 at local auto parts store) View attachment 407793 View attachment 407794 under my trailer hitch and wired it into the right side back-up light wiring. This set-up makes a HUGE difference at night especially when you view it through the back-up camera.
How is this holding up. Working on doing the same thing to mine. Got the LED lamp and it only draws one amp. Just figuring out where to mount and run the wires before I get too crazy. Hoping I can tap into my back up light wiring on the right side just like you have done. I do have LED bulbs for the trucks backup lights.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Touring OBP
5 Posts
How is this holding up. Working on doing the same thing to mine. Got the LED lamp and it only draws one amp. Just figuring out where to mount and run the wires before I get too crazy. Hoping I can tap into my back up light wiring on the right side just like you have done. I do have LED bulbs for the trucks backup lights.
It has worked great Bill; just have to remember not to back into snow banks that might be chunks of ice! The back-up camera has saved me a couple of times. As for wiring, simply remove the screws holding the light assembly in place (have the tailgate open) and give the assembly a firm tug outward. It pill release from a couple of rubber catches. Then you can easily access the two wires for the back-up bulb and clamp your new LED light leads onto the wires. I used a couple of those plastic trailer harness clips. Make sure you apply lots of electrical tape over the joint to ensure the elements don't get in.

As for mounting the light, I simply drilled an appropriate size hole into the bottom of the 2" hitch receiver near the end closest to the rear axle. Applied lots of anti-seize and also inserted my 2" ball hitch to ensure it goes in far enough that it can still slide the safety pin in. Should it contact the new light nut and stop the hitch from going in all the way, just take a 4" grinder and remove whatever small amount of metal that is preventing final assembly.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
442 Posts
Thanks, I’m thinking of mounting mine in the main frame of the hitch, just to right of the receiver. Then wiring it into the right rear backup light. Thanks for the info. Been too busy with other projects around the house, but will get this done in the near future.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks, I’m thinking of mounting mine in the main frame of the hitch, just to right of the receiver. Then wiring it into the right rear backup light. Thanks for the info. Been too busy with other projects around the house, but will get this done in the near future.
Hi Bill - I have the same light and have not yet installed it. How did you attach the bracket to the hitch frame - are you able to get behind it for a traditional bolt with a nut or did you drill a hole and use a self-tapping screw?

Thx

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
442 Posts
Hi Bill - I have the same light and have not yet installed it. How did you attach the bracket to the hitch frame - are you able to get behind it for a traditional bolt with a nut or did you drill a hole and use a self-tapping screw?

Thx
I drilled and tapped holes in the receiver. I actually had the drills and tap set handy. I used bolts, lock washer and flat washer and used some blue Loc-Tite on the threads. No issues with it coming loose. HTH

·
Registered
148 Posts
I drilled and tapped holes in the receiver. I actually had the drills and tap set handy. I used bolts, lock washer and flat washer and used some blue Loc-Tite on the threads. No issues with it coming loose. HTH
Thx, Bill.

I went the easy route as I had a bag of M8 rivet nuts on hand - rock solid.

Now to wait until the sun goes down and see how it does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts