Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Broken door handle cable end, options?

26K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Jedy84 
#1 ·
So, I was following this tutorial to replace my drivers side door actuator that went bad: http://blog.gieselman.com/post/Honda-Ridgeline-Door-Lock-Actuator-Replacement.aspx, which fixed the issue I was having with my drivers side door lock by the way, and was putting everything back together and snapped the green end portion of the door release cable that attaches to the inside door handle.

The green thing in this photo, broke right where it sits in the metal clip (disregard the red arrow).

It's basically rendered useless since it has no tension for the door handle lever to pull the cable. Fortunately I can pull on the cable for now to open the door from the inside. What are my options? I'm not seeing a way to replace just the end of the cable or some way to rig it to work some other way. Am I at the point where I need replace the whole cable and take apart the door again? :(

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks tough. If it makes you feel better, when I was trying to tackle this http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42865 I managed to break one of the little tabs on the blue piece in your picture where it inserts into the hole. I salvaged it by re-inserting it and supergluing a cylindrical piece of plastic on the end. It's holding so far, but I'm waiting for the day I have to climb out of the window Dukes of Hazard style.

This sure wasn't designed for multiple disassembly. I wonder if you could rig some kind of clamp to hold that green piece? It depends where it's broken. I'm guessing the cable isn't cheap.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Been there. Had my mechanic replace the broken cable. Part (72171-SJC-A00) was $17.07.

Not sure of the labor cost cuz had to replace the alternator (ouch!:act060:)

Attachments

Reactions: Jedy84
#8 · (Edited)
Epiphany, I asked a moderator to close the other thread I started.

No, the connection where the green part attaches is still there. I just have a snapped cable.

If others have made the repair I will try to order the cable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Hey ! this happened to me on one door. All I did was remove the green loose broken part or slide it all the way to the end (one of those options) then slide the rest of the green barrel close to the cable head, put some duct tape over the metal clip thing. Once the remaining bigger part of the green plastic is passed over the metal clip it works. I have not had any issues by having it that way. Maybe the right way to fix it is to cut the thin part of the green plastic without going too deep and slide in the metal. But I think just having the cable with the insulation on the metal clip and the plastic over and passed the metal clip will hold longer and better.

#6 ·
Seen it 1,000 times. Done it a few my self.
BEST solution is replacement.
Second best is duct tape the cable in place up against the body it attaches to.

#7 · (Edited)
Same thing happened to me, the green plastic piece was broken where it attached, but it was still in place; Noticed it when replacing my drivers side mirror. Cable was intact so I just put it back in place.

Today, door handle made a thunk, I heard something slip, and door would not open.

Took door apart and the cable has completely snapped. I think the cable was rubbing where it attached. Noticed today it is quite sharp.

I think the green "sheathe" kept it from rubbing. If I would have noticed before would have put some duct tape on it.

Since cable is totally snapped I can't even grip it to open the door, I have to roll down the window.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
I haven't wrenched or made so many of my own repairs or mods since I had a 71 VW bug.

Replaced both mirrors (involved removing both door panel, did the the dome light fix, plasti-dipped grill and emblems, replaced an emblem, etc.

However that cable fix was beyond me. You have more skill and patience than me. I couldn't see how I could replace that cable without breaking something.

#11 ·
I haven't kept up on this, but there was a Safety Recall on this issue for the 2006 Ridgeline. I don't have time to dig up the info right now, but the dealer will be able to tell you if your vehicle was involved. If so the repair will be done free of charge regardless of age or mileage.

#15 ·
#12 ·
Will they replace the broken cable as part of a recall? From what I understand the recall has to do with changing the plastic mounting clip on the door handle to one that will securely hold the end fitting of the cable. In my case the cable didn't come loose, it simply simply broke. In the thread that I linked earlier you (Cismo) provide the PDF of the recall. Based on my typical dealer experience, I wouldn't expect them to offer to replace the broken cable.

#13 ·
Honestly I don't remember the details of the recall... if you posted what I posted years ago then your memory fresher than mine. I just remembered a recall on the issue. I'm sure I still have the info somewhere, but it sounds like you already looked it up.

#14 ·
I think, OP broke the BLUE part, not the GREEN part. So did I, when I was replacing speakers in the door.
I drilled small hole through the what appears to be lead ball and drove small screw into the remaining blue clip portion. Been what, 3 months by now, still working ok.

#16 ·
My local dealer had the part in stock! It was just over $10.00. I am going to try to make the repair today.

Asked for the labor costs and they said $130.00...ouch!

#17 · (Edited)
I am taking my truck to the dealer to get the repair

I took off the door panel, peered inside the door, and I couldn't see how I could get the white plastic part loose without breaking it.

I am a little bummed, I have never had a door handle break before.

I have just had a few little things go wrong (dome light and the door handle) and it is getting annoying. I don't get a lot of free time and it is getting frustrating.

However, I keep remaining myself that I don't have a car note.

#21 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Took car to the dealer to get the handle repaired yesterday (Friday).

I originally had an APPT for today (Saturday) but because of an imminent a snowstorm I was off work.

I took the car to the dealer at 1015 am.

At 4pm I realized I hadn't received a call yet, I called and got a sob story about them not realizing I meant for my car to get repaired today.

Why someone would think you would drop off a car at 1015 am for a APPT the next day at 8am I have no idea. I told the person I spoke to that I wanted it done today... I guess she made an assumption she shouldn't have everything made.

I had to speak to a manager to make sure my car would be repaired by 6pm that day.

As a result of the late repair I got stuck in rush hour traffic during the snow storm. A 20 minute drive took 90 minutes. I got there 10 minutes before they closed. I was in such a rush I didn't realize they charged me 45.00 more than the original quote.

I called them up today, and they apologized and said it took longer to repair than the original quote. However, as a consolation they gave me a voucher for a free oil change.

One reason I am not going to make much of a fuss is they also lubed all four of my doors.

However, at least my car door is fixed and and I had a great time today in the Pike National Forest driving my car in the snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.