Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ROC; please see the photo below of my broken FOB/key:

I recently broke the FOB by getting it jammed in the Ridgeline trunk bed key hole. The key itself loosened up from the FOB (part of the plastic shell broke), and broke apart a few days later. When it broke apart, the key got stuck in the ignition when I got home one evening - luckily I found a few videos on YouTube on how to fix that issue and remove the broken key. Since then, I have been reading around on this forum + Amazon, etc, and am not 100% sure on what to do.

Do I just need to buy a new key shell case, and insert the key/FOB guts into the new shell (something like this)? In my spare FOB, the key looks to be secured into the shell pretty good, however. Not sure if it's possible to remove the key from the shell?

Or do I have to buy a whole new key/FOB (and get it laser cut, programmed, etc), like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks !! :smile:

·
Registered
292 Posts
A new shell is a royal pita...
I fixed mine by using the "30-second fix" UV light activated glue. I saw it on tv and found it in a store - worked pretty well!
Just be careful when gluing it - make sure you leave it in a way where you can unscrew the shell so you can replace the battery later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
To clarify: it's not as simple as "replacing the guts". There's a transponder in one part of the shell that needs to be moved to the new one, which is hit or miss from what I understand

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went on amazon and bought a flip key for $15, took it to a locksmith and had them cut it for $10 then I inserted the guts and little chip into it and it works as good as new plus now I have a flipkey that I perfer much better. I did have to file some of the edges to smooth it a little but it works great for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new shell is a royal pita...
I fixed mine by using the "30-second fix" UV light activated glue. I saw it on tv and found it in a store - worked pretty well!
Just be careful when gluing it - make sure you leave it in a way where you can unscrew the shell so you can replace the battery later...

Thanks for the quick reply! Thinking that my shell might be too busted for a glue fix? If so, what would my other option(s) be?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine was kind of like that and that 30 sec glue fix stuff actually will turn into a filler

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
The last time I replaced a key, I purchased one online, got it cut and programmed by a locksmith... and then the crappy thing promptly broke. I refused to purchase another key so I super glued it so far so good. See what you can accomplish with super glue, if that doesn't work, might be worth it to just buy a new one from the dealer.
I think I saved $20-30 by purchasing online and then getting a locksmith to cut and program it, I don't think it was worth it for the crappy key that I got. Next time I need a key, I am buying from the dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to hijack a thread, but I have a 2009 RTL with my key fob not working. Do I have to replace the key and keyfob or just the key fob? I tried replacing the battery of course, but still dead. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
If the key still opens and locks the doors manually you could just purchase new guts. Did you check batteries are in correctly? Getting a new key from the dealer can be expensive. I have had luck with ebay and a local locksmith.

2009 ridgeline key | eBay

·
Registered
292 Posts
Key may need to be re-registered with the vehicle...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts